Non-Chow - INPORTANT BILL FOR HORSES.

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Non-Chow - INPORTANT BILL FOR HORSES.

Post by Jeff&Peks »

For all you horse lovers and non-horse lovers and even if you hate horses. There is a bill coming out on (I think) Sep 7 against the inhumane killing and torture of horses for human food. An example of the torture is when they load the horses for slaughter on the truck if any of their legs are sticking out they cut off the horses legs with chains saws then ship them for miles to be slaughtered. I believe your supposed to vote yes on the bill. Willie Nelson is one of the backers of the bill for you Country folks.

As with all animals even dogs, it's fine if you want to eat them and if that is your Culture great, but its the Torture and inhumane treatment that goes on before they are killed thats the problem but I guess if you are going to eat them then you really don't care how you get them.

Pretty sick when you have to pass a bill to stop the torture of animals but have a stoke if a guy that just killed 10 kids is mistreated.
chris

Post by chris »

Fox news just had that on the other night. I sat up in bed when I saw them take out a horse. I was like OMG.. and started to tear up. I hope this bill passes those bastards... what the heck? I had no idea this was going on.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Non-Chow - INPORTANT BILL FOR HORSES.

Post by Victory »

Jeff&Peks wrote:For all you horse lovers and non-horse lovers and even if you hate horses. There is a bill coming out on (I think) Sep 7 against the inhumane killing and torture of horses for human food. An example of the torture is when they load the horses for slaughter on the truck if any of their legs are sticking out they cut off the horses legs with chains saws then ship them for miles to be slaughtered. I believe your supposed to vote yes on the bill. Willie Nelson is one of the backers of the bill for you Country folks.

As with all animals even dogs, it's fine if you want to eat them and if that is your Culture great, but its the Torture and inhumane treatment that goes on before they are killed thats the problem but I guess if you are going to eat them then you really don't care how you get them.

Pretty sick when you have to pass a bill to stop the torture of animals but have a stoke if a guy that just killed 10 kids is mistreated.
Where's the link Jeff? Is this a federal bill or a state one, this is sick. And since horsemeat isn't even sold in the US, people take our Mustangs and do this to them to ship the meat to other countries. These people also use the foals that result from the hormone replacment industry, (yes it's still going on) I don't get these people, I really don't... of course I don't get the whaling industry, the baby seal industry or any of these that insist on these barbaric killing methods, (I'm a meat eater but I try to buy my meat from Whole Foods, organically raised, free range and humanely slaughtered, if there is one in your neck of the woods use them as much as possible if you can't become a vegetarian. Many people who have to be on low carb diets can't become vegetarians, Whole Foods is a good compromise between dietary/health needs and animal rights issues.)

Okay I will now get off my soap box
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chris

Post by chris »

It's a federal bill. The news said that "we dont slauder cats and dogs for human consumption over seas, why should horses be any different." Meaning, cats & dogs are companion animals and so are horses. So, they are trying to make it illegal for us to slauder horses in the united states for human consumption.

BTW.. We do this for Fance evidently.
chris

Post by chris »

I was thinking about becoming a vegiterian...but I have to do some more research on it. I like meat too.. but I can do without. (Finding out that Im having to change my diet anyway because Im getting older... ;-( FLOP )
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Chris I'm rite there w/ you.
I cud be a vegitarian if it weren't for the "other white meat".. pork. I already don;t eat meat off a bone & my family makes fun of me when we go out for bbq & they order ribs & I get a hamburger. I can't bare to eat the vein in the rib, it's totally discusts me. My husband will say Ok green peace, calm down over there.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Victory, i just heard them talking about it on a radio show, willie nelson and some others were asking everyone to go out and vote, Sounds like Chris knows more about it.

Post by Guest »

I think this is the legislation you are talking about
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/iss ... ngress=109
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Oops, I keep forgetting to login before posting here.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I've always checked the log me in automatically box to minimize the senior moments of not remembering my password
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Personally, I have no trouble eating whales, dolphins or horses. I appreciate their lives and am thankful for their meat. However we exist, we exist on other's carcasses. We should be thankful to the lives we have to take for our benefit, and that goes not only for animals but for vegetables too. BUT I beleive any life should be treated as humanely as possible. I don't believe in long transportation of livestock to the slaugher house in inhumane conditions. It is not necessary in this day and age. I am also against fox hunting & bull fighting. Too unfair, too one sided to be called a SPORT.

I know I shouldn't have stated my beliefs so openly.... Anyways, anything to make any life better at least when concsious when you can't hope for more is OK by me....
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

August 29, 2006

Dear Molly,

Mark your calendars for Sept. 6, 2006, the National Call-In Day for Horses. With a vote on the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (H.R. 503) expected when Congress returns from its recess that week, your support is needed to permanently move American horses beyond the reach of slaughterhouse butchers.

Help us lay the ground work for our day of action next week. Click here to send an email now to your U.S. Representative in support of H.R. 503. Watch your email on Sept. 5 for special Call-In Day instructions.

Please encourage your friends and family to take action, too. Your emails and calls will not only make a difference, they will help make history. Help us end horse slaughter in the United States forever.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States
chris

Post by chris »

LEO's Mom...

everyone is entitled to their own believes and opinoins. There will probably be some people that dissagree with you and some that don't.
I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. I eat veal, and have had Baby Deer heart (which is soooo yummy.. the baby deer was shot on accident) anyway.. we all consume chicken, turkey, pigs, cows, allagator, squirll and so on to live. But of course, the thing I don't understand or agree with is the WAY some of these animals are killed for cnsumption. It's discusting and crule and should be banned and the people responsible should be shot.
(by the way, when it comes to hunting, I believe in equality... you need to hunt with bow n arrow.. not guns.. thats not fair and hunting to keep the food and eat it.. not just to waste it for the tophey head for the wall)
Anyway.. ok.. Im done, and still thinking about becomeing a veggie... ;-)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

There are right and wrong ways to go about treating animals, and it has been bad for horses from the get go. Believe me, I'm no bleeding heart, but what they have done to old and injured horses is criminal. I have never ever ate a gator, nor a squirrel.
chris

Post by chris »

Not just elder horses Auddy, they are doing this to all of them. It is very inhumane how they go about things too. Unbelievable. We all have our own cultures, and what we see as ... how should I put this.. oh heck eating habbits... We here in the US don't eat cats and dogs.. but they do in other parts of the world.. but we see them as companions... Horses are also considered companions to us so why would we slauder them for human consumption in other countries when we dont do it for other animals considered human companions? I hate it when these kinds of things come up... I don't want to hear or see any of it. It sickens me and makes me depressed. I wish we were all vegies. LOL. But then veggies have feelings too.. dont they?
all kidding aside... we have to eat.. animals have to eat... but we don't have to be inhumane about it.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I will once again quote, Mahatma Ghandi, "a society can be judged by the way it treats it's animals"

I will also say that from what I've of human nature, when a person, or people engages in systematic cruelity to animals, whether it be for food production or so-called sport. That person or people have little regard for human life a well. Some may disagree with this, but it has been proven by psycologists that most mass murders tortured animals as childern.

Also I can give a very real example of societal cruelty, Kabul Zoo. What went on there was nothing short of torture and the people that did it did the same things to other humans.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chris

Post by chris »

I agree whole heartedly with what Vicotry said.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Chris, You don't hunt and Kill period. If you can't buy it on the shelf or at a drive thru then you don't need to eat it.

Wonder if they have Drive thru Alligators Subs in Florida.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Jeff, you haven't lived, until you help quarter and process a deer. If I had to field dress one, I'd have a vomit pile next to the gut pile. probably several of them. Both girls love to watch Brian process his kills.
chris

Post by chris »

EWWWWWWWW, I can't do any of it.. I can't hunt.. I can't kill (unless its a bug biting me.. ) I can't stand the site of the Deer hanging from the tree draining... and I can't stand the smell..

I usualy buy it Jeff... or, eat it at the restraunt. I was at Subway in florida this summer... I do believe I saw an Allagator Club Sub there...hmmm, I must call my mother in law to verify.. I will keep you posted. :wink: :D
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I am a very happy omnivore. I have no problem indulging in my carnivore side. Allot. I love to hunt, but at the same time I do think we need to respect all life. I normally get a laugh of indignation from vegans after that statement and a, “how can you respect a life if you eat it?” I say it is because I would never left any life form suffer. I, also, could never condone abuse of any animal. Just because it is going into my stomach does not mean that it can be treated badly.

Chris and 3blkchows, remember to see a dietician if you do decide to become a vegetarian. You need to make sure you are getting enough protein. Remember that there are lots of types of vegetarian. The kind that just don’t eat red meat. The kind that only eat fish. The kind referred to as vegan that eats no meat or animal byproducts such as eggs, cheese, milk etc. When you cut out meat you need to continue to balance your diet with enough protein without adding too much fat to stay healthy and not get super fat. I don’t want you getting sick.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
chris

Post by chris »

I agree with you Red... thats why I'm a little leary about... considering.. I may be aniemic (sp?). Not sure yet.. have to scoot out to the DR. Oct 6th to find out.

I love red meat.. it's best when still mooing. Steak grilled on each side for .. oh.. maybe 2 minutes.. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... but, I have found I can do without it too. Just getting older and haveing to change eating habits...

Ok, back to the Bill... .I haven't heard what happend with it... did it pass?