Long-snouted chow chows

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Robert Woodward
Rank 0
Rank 0

Long-snouted chow chows

Post by Robert Woodward »

We bought an AKC chow chow from a professional breeder who is now six months old. She has a long snout that is different from the typical chows we have had in the past. Should we worry that a Spitz might have jumped the fence at some point in her lineage and changed the chow chow' typical short snout block head feature?
Any one own a similar purebred?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Long-snouted chow chows

Post by 612guy »

First welcome to the site. Try posting a picture so we can see what you are talking about. Your chow is still young and her head will still grow for another 6 to 12 months.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, picture please.

Chows come in a few different varieties, so your description of a 'long snouted' chow may really just be of the 'older' variety. Chows are in fact a spitz breed, and historically have been more of an open faced breed. The current trend, outside of the Asian countries, tends to be more of a closed face, shorter snout variety. The selective breeding of Chows in both Europe and the US has been toward a heavier, stocky type Chow. Even without a pic, I would guess that you have a more traditional chow type.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

search for Buddy2 to see pic of my open faced chow that I adopted from a shelter thinking he was a mix but DNA came back 100% chow chow. I love the open face with the almond eyes, they surely have less chance of entropian and breathing problems. Would like to see a pic of your baby.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

Is this how your chow looks like?
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

Rory's Dad wrote:Yes, picture please.

Chows come in a few different varieties, so your description of a 'long snouted' chow may really just be of the 'older' variety. Chows are in fact a spitz breed, and historically have been more of an open faced breed. The current trend, outside of the Asian countries, tends to be more of a closed face, shorter snout variety. The selective breeding of Chows in both Europe and the US has been toward a heavier, stocky type Chow. Even without a pic, I would guess that you have a more traditional chow type.
I didn't know that chows are spitz breed. Now there's a piece of info added to my box of knowledge. :)
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

Yes, Buddy2 had a thicker coat and heavier mane than your dog (before the sebaceous adenitis set in) but otherwise, same face, same body shape. Looks like chow chow to me
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

The chow was like that to begin with! Some breeders are changing the look for more dramatic outcomes.I like the more moderate look.I find they have less trouble cooling down and breathing.Look at these chows in USA ,when they were first imported.
Attachments
Clara-Bow-had-several-red-chows-to-match-her-hair-clara-bow-37578496-350-500.jpg
Clara-Bow-had-several-red-chows-to-match-her-hair-clara-bow-37578496-350-500.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 23395 times
1034734ba417d1060843cb5a34bd901b.jpg
1034734ba417d1060843cb5a34bd901b.jpg (16.45 KiB) Viewed 23395 times
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Pres.Coolidge had a open faced chow, so did Sigmund Freud. I had chow with a longer snout and she'd pull a sled if I had let her. A hot summer day didn't bother her. I don't know why they're now bred with these short faces and can barely breathe or walk in the summer heat.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

check out the BBC video "Pedigree Dogs Exposed". It shows how dogs continue to suffer due to selective breeding for looks & meeting the "standard" with no consideration for health or temperament.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Thanks for your comment. I am in the process of adopting a regular chow chow. I need a walking buddy and not a show piece to sit by the fireplace. I also own a pug mix. My vet assumes beagle mix. He has a slight elongated snout but still runs into problems during summer heat and cold winter days. I just take it easy walking him.
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/
KARIN &
chowMIKKI