Some people make me want to scream

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Some people make me want to scream

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I took Dixie to the dog park today with our regular group of friends that meets up there once a week. We all arrive at about the same time (we meet up in the parking lot to walk back to the dog park together) and we all leave together. There is a total of 7 people and 10 dogs (because some of us have multiples). The dog park and playground share the same park as the baseball/softball fields for little league teams in our town. Well, we've never had a problem with kids and the dogs before. Most of the kids just gawk at all the dogs. But today one little boy came running squealing into the middle of our group and just threw his arms around Dixie's neck. This kids parents never even tried to stop him! They just laughed about it! They're honestly lucky Dixie adores kids and didn't clamp onto their child's face. And I'm going to be honest, I was too dumbfounded to say anything to them. But one of my friends (who's 4 y/o little girl was with us, spoke up and told the parents how irresponsible they were.

I'll never understand why parents don't teach their children to ask if they can approach and pet a dog. Too many just let their kids go flying up to strange dogs and think it's cute. I'd honestly like to just smack every single one of those parentsb up side their heads.

I'm sorry y'all, I just needed to vent a little.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Some people make me want to scream

Post by Cindy J »

I understand what you mean! I am so happy that Dixie is a good girl. So many dogs to not like to be hugged on by squealing children. I have tried to explain this to parents and they yell at me. Stating that dogs should not be out in public if they can't be touched by others. I had to correct a woman and explain that you would not want strangers running up and grabbing all over their CHILD. You expect strangers to ask you first. Same with dogs. It is just good manners.

At a dog show I had just groomed Chance. He was laying on the cool concrete waiting to go in the ring. A family came over close to the ring to watch. They let their toddler waddle over and lay on Chance; wrapping her little arms around his head. I am so thankful it was Chance, who loves children. I have seen a couple other chows who would have snapped at the child. At least these parents seemed to understand when I explained the danger to them.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thanks. And I get the same crap when I try to explain it to people too. Everyone just expects every dog to accept anyone and everything and that's just not going to be the case. It drives me crazy.

I'm glad those folks seemed to understand when you explained the dangers to them.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, happens all the time. Sadly, they are always the people that don't have dogs at home. And it really doesn't matter what breed of dog they suddenly approach. My dogs are really well socialized, and love all people. But as WE know, Chows have limited peripheral vision. A side 'hug' takes them completely by surprise and anything can happen when they are startled.

I don't frequent dog parks, since we don't really have one close, and I don't trust my boys off lead (my girl wouldn't venture more than 3 feet away). So, I haven't run into that issue, but even when we go on-lead to the pet store, we get approached. Parents always seem to know enough that it IS a chow..."oh look, they have a purple tongue", but never anything more about how to respect the dog and it's owner. Amazingly that is almost always followed by a story of how they used to own, had a family member who owned, or a friend who owned a Chow and they were the most horrible animal that bit everyone they ever met. Even better now that you let your uncontrolled horrible children bear hug those aggressive beasts. Oh, and btw, if all those stories about people owning Chows were true, they would be #1 on the AKC registration list.

I have seen somewhat better manners at the Shows Cindy. We've had some good entries up here lately, so it's been a 'parade' of Chows getting ready to enter the ring. A good number of oohs and aahs and finger pointy. But it never fails that we get a group that wants to pet the Chow before judging. Mostly they are respectful and understand the dog is waiting to go to work. 'He needs to focus', I tell them. See us after the breed judging and he would be thrilled to meet you. I've actually been accused of being rude for this.

So, yes Tippsy's Mom, its pretty common. I used to be a lot more patient explaining to people how to PROPERLY approach a Chow. I find myself a lot more inclined to just walk past them and ignore their kids. It feels nice to get a complement here and there about how nice our dogs are, but I begin to wonder whether its really worth the effort until I remember the real purpose of my trips...to socialize my dogs to be tolerant of those very same people...