Quick Question

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

nikkoabenales
Rank 0
Rank 0

Quick Question

Post by nikkoabenales »

Hello guys! I'm new here!

I got a new puppy. I'm told that he's a Chow Chow.
His name is Chewie, from Star Wars of course.... lol
My question is, Is he really a Chow Chow?
He's already 9 weeks but he's just about 2kgs...
Chow chows are supposed to be big and heavy right?
Thanks! :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (113.72 KiB) Viewed 8117 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Quick Question

Post by Rory's Dad »

From the picture I would say he is at least part chow. I look at the ears. they are triangular and heavy (that is also why they are still folded a bit). His eyes are almond shaped. The muzzle, while on the thinner side, is correct for an open faced chow. His paws are definitely correct, heavy and well rounded. The overall head set is nice for a chow.

A shot of the rear would be helpful. Perhaps standing if you can accomplish that. He should has a slight curl to his tail at that age, and the rear legs should be mostly straight with just a slight bend at the knee. As he moves, he should walk almost tippy toe on the rear legs and the gait should be stilted (think pendulum). Stilted gait is almost lost in chows these days, but seeing that short stride is particular to the breed. It's tough to see in puppies, but it should be there to some degree.

My initial thoughts are that he is truly chow. I wouldn't worry about weight as a determining factor. More common these days are heavier boned Chows, but historically they have been more athletic (and that sort does exist a lot these days, just seems to be less favorable). Also, Chows tend to mature into their adult form at a slower rate than other breeds. The big growth spurts will happen around 12 weeks through 8 months or so. They continue to grow bone mass through 18 months. Cartiledge development continues up to 2 years.
nikkoabenales
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nikkoabenales »

Hello Rory's Dad!
Thanks for your reply!
I tried to take pics but it's so hard coz Chewie's trying to eat my phone... lol
But here are some pics... :)
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg (207.51 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg (129.96 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

he's a little doll and looks pure chow to me. Mine is of the older "pre-designer" variety, open faced, longer legs & body, only 43 lbs at 4 years old. Personally, I prefer the open faced variety, certainly less liklihood of eye troubles common in chows. Enjoy your baby, be good to him and he'll be good to you!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sorry for the delay, been very busy lately.

Thanks for the extra pics. I think he's full bred chow.
nikkoabenales
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nikkoabenales »

Thanks rmb and Rory's Dad!

I found out that Chewie's mom's pure chow and his dad's 90%chow 10%pomeranian...

Anyway, Chewie's getting bigger and a little heavier, he just got dewormed and I switched his diet from Beef Pro (kibble brand here in the Philippines which is apparently just corn and meat by products) to Go! Sensitivity + Shine Salmon Recipe Dry Dog Food which he loves to eat... I'm currently researching about BARF diet...

Thanks and I will post new pics of him soon! :)
kingfluff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kingfluff »

That 10% pom shows a little but not too much. He looks almost like my dogs when they were pups!
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

He looks pure to me, and he's definitely adorable!