Interaction with other dogs

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

sjeane01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Interaction with other dogs

Post by sjeane01 »

Hello

I have 2 Chows/ 1 male and 1 female and they are both 5 years old/

My daughter has a yorkie/ wighs about 5 or 6 lbs/ Does anyone know how chows interact with this type of small dog.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Interaction with other dogs

Post by Rory's Dad »

Chows are funny with dog interaction. They display, for a lack of better terms, an air of arrogance. This can put other dogs off and put them on the defensive.

If you have spent the past years socializing the Chows, then they should be fine. If they haven't spent much time around other dogs, I would be cautious.

Yorkie's can be a bit yippy, so it will really depend on that dog assuming the Chows are socialized.

I wouldn't worry so much about the size difference as much as the training. Chows can be very gentle when they are used to the situation. Properly trained, they don't tend to be overly aggressive/rough or dominant. They do however expect that boundaries be respected. So that would head on back to the Yorkie having similar social skills.
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaydfreeman »

I have issues with my Chow and other dogs! Its never him - its always the other dog.
Different breeds tend to take a dislike to them for their different smell and the way they look. However my Chow seems to get on better with smaller dogs rather than big ones.
I encourage him to bond with friends dogs by taking them out for a walk together in a mutual environment and by the time we are home - they are the best of friends!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

My adult male chow LOVES small dogs. He whimpers if I do not let him interact. When allowed time with small dogs, I place him in a sit or down and let the small dog sniff all over him before they mingle. He is very gentle, but extremely curious with the smaller dogs. Larger dogs he is more indifferent towards.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye