In a quandary

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

In a quandary

Post by reddog »

I was petting Whitby and running my fingers through her fur last night and discovered a small bump which I thought might be a nasty tick. Worked my way through the fur down to the actual bump - it’s not a tick but I don’t know what it is. It’s a clear colored bump with liquid in it (like a blister would look) and is about the size of pearl tapioca. Here's the quandary - Should I let it go, pierce it to let it drain or call her vet?
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: In a quandary

Post by Juniper »

I would leave it alone and see a vet who could decide what to do. Sometimes there could be an infection ensuing beneath the bump and you could spread it thru the fluid being released or it may need a needle biopsy for a determination. You can wait, check on it for a few days, since you've just noticed it and watch if Whitby has any changes in behavior, fever, eating less, itching, etc. It may dissolve on it's own if it was just a reaction to a bite. If it doesn't dissolve I'd see the vet. Hope it's nothing. Much health to Whitby and to you.
Jennifer & Sheena
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so very much for your input. I was going with my first thought and that was to leave the bump alone and keep a watchful eye on it for any changes.

I’d taken Whitby to the groomer on April 11 and I noticed this past week that when we’d be out and about on our walks she was stopping every here and there to potty and then a few minutes later she’d stop and sit down to lick her girlie area. I thought a UTI might be settling in. Saturday I took her to the vet for a check-up. I was right about the UTI. While I was there I asked the vet to look at the bump. She said it is a benign cyst and not to worry about it, just keep and eye on it.

Pam
chow315

Post by chow315 »

i would say take to vet immediately. what did you do and what was the outcome? i am just a bit nervous when it comes to bumps . that was how my beloved princess was diagnoised with lymphoma