About the get a Chow

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bianca
Rank 0
Rank 0

About the get a Chow

Post by Bianca »

Hi All. I am about the get my first chow tomorrow, and i am so excited. But I want to know if he will most likely get along with my cat (Angel) who is about 5-6 months old, as well as my 2 Dachshund pups also about 6 months old (they are a fixed breed). I really really want this all to work out. When I am working the 2 doggies are outside during the day, and the cat comes and goes as he pleases. Would appreciate any advise that you might have for me aswell. Thank you in advance.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: About the get a Chow

Post by Ursa's daddy »

That will depend on the dog, the cat and you. My chows ignore the cats, but they were raised with them. Ursa was introduced to cats when she was 6 weeks old, and Malachi was about 12 weeks when I got him. My cats know all about dogs. I have a chow mix foster that wants to chase cats and I have done everything I know to dissuade him from chasing cats. I haven't had any problems with my chows adopting to other dogs. There is an initial period where everyone has to figure out what is going on, and from time to time there are minor issues, but few major problems. You are the pack leader and have to set boundaries and provide guidance to them.
Bianca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bianca »

Thank you so much for the advise. Luckilly for the cat is smad he is already used to the other 2 dogs. Are chows good with kids, as. I have. 8, 7 and a 3 year old. I already had a talk with them about the dog and explained that they should not taunt or tease him. But he will none the less get a lot of love and attention, no doubt about that
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I am concerned that you ask these questions now, a day before the new member of your family is set to arrive.

You have 2 small breed dogs, a cat, and three young children. I would hope that you have researched the Chow as a breed before deciding to adopt one. Chows even as puppies can present unusual circumstances that you should be prepared for. They require a strong willed, no fear leader. If they are left to their own devices, they will attempt to dominate the pack. And they will view other dogs, cats, and children as members of the pack. If left to decide who is the pack leader, there will likely be incidences where they assert themselves.

You mention that all of the other pets are younger, but not the Chow age. A chow puppy should be OK associating with children, but if an adult they may not do so well.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Chows have poor peripheral vision, so your children should be informed not to just rush up behind the dog. I typically use verbal cues to help my chows know that I am coming. Strong willed could be an understatement. You will have to definitely be the assertive leader of the pack.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It is not so much will your chow get on with children but more do your children get on with chows and your other pets? I have to say that it may all work out fine but if it were me I would not get a dog of that size with a three year old in the house. Most puppies (and I'm guessing it's a puppy due to the fact you got your other dogs young) nip and mouth and play wild....it's what they do to grow strong muscles, bones and decide the pecking order for who eats first etc. your puppy will do all of those things to your three year old because they will be litter mates in the chows eyes.

You need to start reading all the training threads on this sight. Chows need positive reinforcement training and do not get on well with punishment and shouting. They have a mind that says why? Why should I do that? If they can see no reason they won't do it so you need to find a reason why they would want to do what you want them to. If you chose a negative reason they will shut down and eventually retaliate. They have to. See what's in it for them!

I am trying hard here not to say this but why on earth did you not do your research and learning in the months leading up to you getting a chow. They are one of the more complex dogs out there and you are bringing one into your home knowing nothing about it.

Mine live with two cats. Yes your puppy will delight in chasing them but hopefully if they are strong and used to dogs they will put it in it's place and end up as mine are....happy to put up with the cats. I would not leave a chow puppy with your other pups as chows typically play by whacking a front leg on top of other dogs. This could seriously damage you small dogs' backs!

I think the single most useful piece of advice at this point would be come back here and ask questions if you have any problems as this chow is now your responsibility to make it work. I hope you will post pics and become part of the community. Good luck.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I hope you don't find any of the comments harsh. Both Rory's dad and Sirchow are very dedicated to the breed and committed to having owners be successful with their chows. This site has all sorts of advice and the members are very willing to help you because they really love this breed. Please feel free to ask for advice. We all want your chow to be the wonderful companion that he can be. His success is dependent of the effort you are willing to expend. I have found that chows are truly wonderful dogs.
chow315

Post by chow315 »

i love chows and cats. i too am concerned. are all of your dogs including this new chow going to be outside all day long?i too am not trying to be mean but this will be a gigantic adjustment.is there anyway you can talk to whoever or wherever you are getting the chow if you might delay getting the dog. you might try to get a day or part of it off from work so you can introduce this new member. or maybe you can get the dog in the evening so all the animals will not be trying to figure out what is going on. i pray it goes well. let us know