Out in Public

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Out in Public

Post by TyChowgirl »

Now, I know we've had many posts regarding "Does your chow do this?" and etc. But I've got a new one I've picked up on, on our recent outings and it's a bit peculiar. Let me start by saying this typically occurs when we're down town. Each month, our "city" hosts a first Saturday event down town (sometimes it's even dog themed! we have a dog friendly place) in which people line the side walks on Market st. with vendors or things and there are a lot of people walking up and down to see it all. This particular event was Fire and Ice, where they had little marsh mellow and smore roasting and making stations (little fire pits) through out down town, hot chocolate stands, and ice sculptures of local business logos on display outside of said business (there were also fire breathers and dancers and music in designated places, but anyways). While there are a lot of people, it's not a bad time to work on desensitization with your dog, especially mine who's still a little skittish, but is getting better all the time. It's very crowded, and we don't stop often because he's less nervous when we keep moving. Of course it's like being with a local celebrity or something, almost every person has something to say about him as we pass (like he's so FLUFFY or so handsome, or beautiful, chow chow, keeshound, husky and they're corrected especially when they say Pomeranian *wince*) but now we get to the funny thing he does. Maybe it's not the same people who comment, but just as frequently, he nose bumps people as they pass or if we're walking behind them. He literally, pokes their legs with his nose. It's bizarre. I'm not sure if he's sniffing, or what the deal is. He knows the command touch, but I'm not sure why he'd be using it without being asked to. Any thoughts? Most of the time people don't even notice, so it's definitely gentle. I hardly think he's counting them...lol
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Out in Public

Post by chunkymonkeys »

My Boo used to do that, and it almost seems like he's saying "move along" . He'd nudge me to take him out, and when I'd pretend I didn't see or notice him, the nudge would be firmer. Chows have the most endearing quirks, and with their beautiful looks, they've had me at "hello".