Baby Girl Introduced to Big Boy

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

cerice916
Rank 0
Rank 0

Baby Girl Introduced to Big Boy

Post by cerice916 »

I have a 2 year old male Chow Tank. I picked up an 9 week old baby girl Spunky. Tank is the dominant male and is not being very exceptive of Spunky. I realize it has only been one day but he has been snarling at her at has even attempted to bite her now everytime Tank trys to get near her she grawls at him. I really want this to work and any suggestions you may have will be very helpful and appreciated.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Baby Girl Introduced to Big Boy

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm in a process to introduce an adult female Chow to my male and female Chows.
Before that I had Nala, 12 weeks (female) introduced to Simba, 6mth (male).
It went well, as Simba was very happy to have a companion, I only had to stop him from being to protective of Nala and had Nala stop from being food aggressive.
I'm telling this so you know that you need to find out what is triggering the aggression. A two year old male might get annoyed by the puppy. Make sure she doesn't try to get to his favorite places, don't allow her to get to his food etc. You have to interfere every time there is an issue, until the new-comer is adapted to the house rules.
Make them do something together, walking for example. Sally my new girl, is a rescue approx 2 years old, I'm introducing her to Simba now also 2 years and Nala during walks. I have them walk side by side. Next week I will let them together during feeding and then finally have them share the same spaces. It is not always easy to get a pack order without fighting, but very rewarding once done properly.
Best regards
Pinoy51