Where have the others gone

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Where have the others gone

Post by wokman »

I have noticed some Posters on this Forum have been disappearing since last Summer. Some gave reasons implying that there are other Chow Chow Web sites where people are friendlier. I do not see unfriendliness here and think the responses are honest. I would rather hear people speak their mind than just a lot of fluffy niceties, though there is a time and place for those. I have posted pictures of Zoey, Leo and Abby. If I had taken control of the situation which occurred with the failed adoption of Halley I would not have let her be taken from me.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Where have the others gone

Post by christina chow mum »

I don’t see what your point is, what trees of wisdom you are “barking” up or where you are going/want to get to with this topic dear wokman or even what the loss of so-called poster friends has to do with our Chows. However, my Mother taught me to politely reply to people’s letters, so here is my 20 cents worth.

This is a Chow Chow site, but they don't run it, they can't, so WE do, as HUMANS. We, as our Chows’ sole legal guardians, representatives and agents are obliged to type stuff to “Speak” and “Reply” on their behalf and, as Chow legal guardians AND humans – our comments, posts, sense of humour, rhetoric, fol de rols, literary and poetic licences, et al written on behalf of innocent Chows, can easily be misjudged, misconstrued, ridiculed or ignored and innocently in most cases, cause confusion and havoc with the “flow” of the site. Hence the "departures". It’s only “human”. (To err is human - to forgive divine..) Alexander Pope (1688-1744) English poet.

Picture this: If the site originators here had thought otherwise that this was really a "make friends and influence people" site they would have pasted their own photos on the Home page along with their own Chows’ pics, sent invites out to all members every week to a “happy hour” and we would all end up smushily corresponding personally before the other posters' eyes, dating, sending each other presents and flowers, maybe even marrying each other as happens on some other sites. Ergo: A Chow Chow site is hardly the right forum for ”up close and personal” with human chow owners. One could always use the PM or e-mail sections here if we are desperately in need of “friends”. I think that chow owners who are totally wrapped up in their Chows alone for companionship to the exclusion of all else, who suddenly come up for air seeking a “third kind encounter” are really far away in a sad and lonely place.

Reading between your lines, I am convinced that those posters who have left because the site wasn’t “friendly” enough (your assumption) were possibly not Chow owners at all, maybe were just surfing around for fun, were disinterested, strolling yet mildly curious Chow owners not wishing to discuss/post their chows at all or maybe they just ended up on the wrong website! This is their loss not yours or ours. It happens, people come and people go, it’s what they leave behind them that matters. So take my advice, accept the fact, let it go, get over it and just move on.

I wish you and all your many Chows a very happy day! :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sorry wokman and guys, this post seems to have got "double-clicked".....ooops!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Some of us do move on. Especially when our Chows cross the Rainbow Bridge. When Tess passed and when I told her story it was hard for me to post on anyone's site when their Chow passed. I feel bad and want to apologized. It is easier now for me to post. At times I still have tears when I remember her. Life moves on. There are the old, there are the new. We have our stories to tell, eventually.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

The heading for the Community Forum says it is a place where posters on this site
can talk about any subject they want.
The heading for the General Forum says it is for discussion about Chow Chows.
I now know I and everyone Posting is a Blogger. Very few Post go unanswered and those that are answered would be a response to a troller. So we are all Bloggers trolling for a response. I might as well include that people cannot call themselves Animal lovers unless they are Vegetarians; if they are not Vegetarians then they are Hippocrates.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oh you have made me shriek with LAUGHTER!! :lol: :lol:

HIPPOCRATES is the Greek God of Medicine from whence comes the "Hippocratic Oath" which newly graduate intern doctors have to say out loud during their ordinations, the main theme being the phrase:
"I shall do no harm"...

HYPOCRITES on the other hand are a totally different can of worms, as you yourself may be aware...
oh yes.... :lol: :lol:

Re this very peculiar , exceptionally rude, "up close and personal" comment of yours:
"Hope you do not have to use the W.C. during one of the storms since you boarded things up...."

FYI: I don't know about your particular household arrangements but since you ask and if it will ease your mind, my aristocratic, genius, wise old Emperor Ming uses the other W.C. in my house..... and I pee up the pomegranate tree in the yard. And if I look up at the night sky while I'm peeing, a sign appears in the heavens which states: "You are now peeing at an angle of 45 degrees!..."
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

wokman wrote:. I might as well include that people cannot call themselves Animal lovers unless they are Vegetarians; if they are not Vegetarians then they are Hippocrates.

Wokman, wokman, wokman where are you coming up with this stuff?
I can assure you I am an animal lover of all sorts. And guess what? I eat meat. \:D/
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ohmigod, this is priceless!! Get this.... all animals (people lovers) love me and my Chow is a vegetarian. I can prove it, cos he eats grass!! This could get REALLY very silly.... =D= =D=
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

To answer Wokman's original query, yes it is true that in times past there were many regular posters who do not frequent this forum much anymore. Yes, there is a competing forum where some of those currently reside.

There was a period of time where opinions varied on simple issues like crate training or not, rescue dog or new puppy, clicker or treat training, etc, etc, etc. Some discussions were heated. Some responses became nasty and personally based, not much founded in best practices for the Chow breed. Thus the impression that the forum had turned to an unfriendly or unhelpful place.

Now, there were probably folks on both sides of the giving and receiving of those discussions that have moved on, just as there probably are some who stayed here. More than likely, some of both just decided to go it alone and neither ask advice nor provide any insight.

Anyway, there is the history lesson.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Wokman from my end, I did get somewhat addicted to cc.org but it wanes and been busy so as much as I want to check everynow and then, it came to a point where I just could not find the time to answer.
When I was new, I got some responses, some rough some kind. the kind responses kept me going and the necessity that I learn for Cassie's sake is the thing that got me going back to the site, checking the wisdom it imparts.
Then it came to a point where I can share my own knowledge handling dogs in general and learning along the way with my first chow Cassie. Time came that I learned and became specific to the breed.
THEN, later, got fed up with same old questions of newbies, new dog owners, knowing older members are more patient with these kinds of questions that I thought: "they'd be fine". So I rest, then, my patience getting boost up, I can reply more graciously without being sarcastic.
Been in touch with some members here via FB (eversince mobile FB was intro to me) and they do provide some much needed infos if I need one.
Maybe the rest of the people are also hibernating like me. They'd be back like me if they still have their chows.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Nice to see Cam's reply. We had some of those discussions i spoke about earlier. Differences of opinions at times, but i have come to geniunely respect the input. I learned that Chows themselves are different in distant (from me) parts of the world. Their jobs are different than the duties for my dogs and training methods need to be adapted to ensure they are properly prepared to perform those duties.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

I understand for those who moved on when their beloved chow passed away. We have a beloved sheltie before Doppler, she passed away last year and it's devastating. But I can say I immediately moved on when I talk more with the sheltie community more often, its more on cherishing the memories and discussion rather than remembering pain for me.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hi there Rory's Dad!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Hiya Cam...So glad to hear that you are OK with all the wild weather in you part of the world. Have seen some of the updates on Cassie and am very pleased to see how well she is doing.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I pop in occasionally to see whats going on but don't generally choose not to post as I find there is a lot of back biting, shame really as I used to love chow talk and I could have done with a little advice recently. I dont tend to post in the other site either.
Thank you Sweatpea
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

I agree with everything everybody has said on this topic, including me, ha ha. When I first joined this site I was totally AMAZED at the amount of support, feedback, answers, comments and that there were so many Chows in the World! Wow! :D :D
I was also entranced with the very quick turnaround on posts almost immediately with advice and answers the same day, instead of waiting a week for an e-mail...groan. I don't use Twitter, Facebook or anything else for that matter, they are for other ages I think and keep well away, banned forever more!
I have had my Chow Ming for 7 years and, (drone drone...) I have said it before, the only chows I knew of in Greece eventually died of neglect or illness and everything I had done and learned "raising" Ming has really been an uphill one-woman enterprise but there was still a lot to learn and I am truly grateful because he is the light of my life. \:D/ \:D/

Bottom line is I have learned an awful lot from this site, I have learned to be more placid and accepting of Ming's peculiarities, to deal with all his foibles differently, to receive support or praise for the things I do/did get right, to accept advice/comments/guidance for the things I don't/didn't get right, valued/value the input on food, baths, storm terrors, you name it, mostly LEARNED to calm down, not panic and to be PATIENT plus I do look forward to the e-mail posts advising there is an answer waiting to one of my "topics/queries". Isn't technology amazing :!: :?:

Despite the fact that outwardly and during walks I appear to be a big independent strong amazonian lady (not really.. :oops: :oops: ) pulling a big strong lion around the neighbourhood, I am at heart a very sensitive piece of Turkish Delight kept well hidden behind my pc shield. A big old softy just like Ming, LOL. Ergo there have been one or two "slow boiling pots" that I have bumped into here which almost made me "log-off" forever. Stands to reason, chows are owned by humans with all their frailties and "wimwams".
Not that this is anyone's business but I, like many other "oomanbeans" on this godforsaken planet am carrying a lot of history and baggage, I have survived, I am a fighter and will continue to survive, will also stay on this forum, and learn more every day about my beloved life's companion Ming, who, (not which) to me, is worth every single cent of the internet price I pay to learn how to make his life better. I really couldn't give a fat rat's pair of glasses about anything else right now. (I live in a Greece in total turmoil, slowly drowning, we are all suffering, but shall say no more about that and just carry on "surviving").

Note: If one checks the "General Discussions" Tab on the home page, against each topic there are "views" and there are "replies". The number of "views" (even on recent topics) is quite amazing (88, 90, up to a 100) so there ARE more people here than it appears and it is as well to remember that not everybody is eloquent, can speak, or even, in some countries, write a word of English, but they are HERE... oh yes they are! =D= =D= =D=
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Piff Poff wrote:
I pop in occasionally to see whats going on but don't generally choose not to post as I find there is a lot of back biting, shame really as I used to love chow talk and I could have done with a little advice recently.
Things have changed a lot since I first joined here as well. I used to enjoy reading, and responding, to a lot of the conversations on here. Posts were full of chats, opinions and debates. There was lots of information and I have learned a lot on this site.
Lately it seems that a lot of people are too quick to take offense and overreact and take personally the opinions of others.
I miss seeing a lot of the regulars who used to post all the time, posters like Victory, Tippsey's mom, Judy Fox, Merlin, Sirchow and Ursa's dad (just to name a few). I am glad to see you posting again Piff Poff, not that many of us Canucks on here anymore!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

yes, I agree the forum has changed and a lot went to Facebook!!!!
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bill Gates has a lot to answer for....
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have been away for a bit working on some big changes in my life and frankly, I needed a bit of a break from the site. People come and go, and sometimes they come back. In fact, I have seen some folks come back that left in a huff, swearing it would be a cold day in Hades before they returned. I put it down to global warming effecting all realms...Welcome back to any returnees.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

So happy to see you back Auddymay! :D
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Hi everyone,

I have been off the site for a couple of years...due to nothing but crazy busy lifestyle changes. And, I have missed it terribly.

When I first was thinking about getting a chow, I joined this forum and found wonderful advice and great people. Chutney and Mia are my heart and soul, and this forum helped me so much with all the questions I had. I am so thankful I found this forum and am so glad to return.

Since I started on this forum, I have been treated with nothing but care and respect - so I have been quite lucky. Sadly, I've seen a bit of angst amongst members...probably due to the fact that chow owners are so passionate.

In the years since I have been adopted by Mia and Chutney, I have been involved in chow rescue which has kept me so busy, especially in the last couple of years. Between experience and intense research, all I have learned is that the more I learn about chows, the more I know I NEED to learn, lol!

This site has always taught me so much and I am so thankful that it exists.

Thank you all...and I'm glad to be back!
Mia
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

I agree with mostly everything said, however yes this is a place dedicated to knowledge to help us that are lucky enough to have these beautiful creatures in our lives but I also think it is nice to have a place to chat with other chow owners just because we have that in common, if that wasn't the case we would not have the photo gallery to share our chowbabies!!!!!

I think why there are alot of folks on Facebook more is due to the fact it is more of a day to day social thing very much accessible on the go as we go about our lives

I for one do nothing on a PC, having worked in the cube farm for years that idea of sitting in front of a screen for me just isn't appealing, so I do everything via my phone, including this forum

I know that when I first arrived I didn't feel welcomed at all, having had chows for over 20 years I wasn't just some new troll looking out of curiosity, I wanted advice from other chow owners who got it

It felt like an initiation of sorts and after a little bit I made a few friends and all was good

But like my chowdren I was determined

We can be owners of chows and they indeed come first but a forum is a forum and they are designed for people

With all that said, I'm here! Just dealing with stuff, but I have the best support group ever! Three wonderful teddy bears that give me daily chow hugs and purple kisses!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I know my being on here comes and goes now that Ty is turning 3 in two weeks, but this place was SUPER helpful when I first got him as a pup. I've made some friends on here too, some getting to meet in real life and others I've kept up with on Facebook which I frequent more in every day life. It's been pretty busy for me of late so my time on here consists of popping in to read. I finally got my teaching job and between that and other life details I haven't found much time on here. Doesn't mean I don't like it ;) just busy. Ty and I have hiking adventures with our friends on weekends or travel too.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I have to say, I never took time to look for the other chow sites. It does happen though- Clover as a puppy, and at the time I was also unemployed, so there was time, and everyone on here was so pleasant, welcoming and friendly. There was so much knowledge and feedback, I definitely needed
(I'll start 1st by saying, have always had large dogs, my last dog before Clover, a rescued Akita, Tori, amongst many others, it had been only up until Tori passed that I was 'dog-less'. I understood difficult breeds..now with that being said- in some ways, my husband saw the 'light' and that having some time, it would be an ideal time to get a puppy, since he was suppose to be away a lot for work, anyways other could say I wore him down enough to understand, we will have time, or we will make time, it will work!
He said what about a chow puppy, as my realistic side said an English bulldog initial cost & medical costs were not something I was ready to take on. Before the sentence was out of his mouth, and there was a chow pup picture we were looking at, I said yes. Let's find a breeder, shy of a month later, I was driving down from MA to the western part of VA- solo, mind you...:) to pick up my chow pup. I didn't do any research on a breeder- I just found one 1st on the eastern side of US, I was happy.. (Clover was my 1st AKC dog, I always had rescues in past)
Sorry for my long winded story (but just also so, you know where I'm coming from) I had NO IDEA what I got myself into with the Chow breed, reading more and more, I took raising a happy, socialized, well behaved chow seriously, almost with fear if I did not.. I think part was my house ins. agent telling me that since I was an existing client then the ins. put Clover on our policy, but anything happens, the. We are automatically dropped... we joke now, about if Jay was really just testing me to see if I could it, raise a Chow successfully...
This site was giant, extreme (there are not enough positive adjective's) to explain how valuable cc.org was to me. Clover grows up, with questions here or there but never so faithfully as the 1st 6M, life gets crazy, and cc.org, was put by the wayside. I actually logged on this week, bcse I actually needed feedback about her issues with men.. (Which I have yet to post, bcse of time) finding myself getting absorbed into the great stories, beautiful pix's, or interesting debates. I think cc.org serves an important purpose, but sometimes maybe is not a focal point or priority 365 days a year.
Drooling over all the new puppies, (ironically, 2 years later going to be laid off again in a bit, and tried the whole...'it would be a perfect time to get another pup- ..my husband wasn't going for it this time' ha.. also learned from the community here, that there is a breeder in MA, that would have been invaluable info, if I found this site before finding a breeder 12 hours away ha.. )
I just wrote a whole novel..... yikes... :)