Puppy that barks through the night

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

lrfishwick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy that barks through the night

Post by lrfishwick »

I am new to the site but looking for a little help. I am the proud owner of a 13 week old puppy called Toby - he is adorable and absolutely wonderful during the day!! My problem is that he isn't happy at night - and barks and barks and barks. We already have a 9 year old westie and they share the utility room - she settles and sleeps no problem - he moans a little when put to bed but does soon settle. The problem is he wakes sometimes at 3am and then starts barking - I have tried all sorts - letting him out for a wee, shouting at him, soothing him, leaving him free in the room, putting him back in his crate - I am starting to loose the plot so any more suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Puppy that barks through the night

Post by christina chow mum »

Welcome to the Forum. You have come to the right place for sure if you have a Chow. Personally I find it really quite strange that Toby barks for any length of time. Even as puppies Chows are very, very quiet and sleep almost 24/7. My Chow Ming, now aged 7 whether in the yard or in his bed inside will only bark when someone strange approaches, whatever the distance, if he hears cats or other dogs fighting and sometimes in dreams, will bark once or twice in his sleep (not good on one's nerves for sure..LOL!). I personally go off to sleep o.k. but for the last year I wake up automatically at 3.30a.m., and again at 7a.m. Ming sleeps though it all! I couldn't figure out why, until I discovered that refuse disposal guys come around at the first time and the guy upstairs (new tenant) goes to work at the second time so I will just have to put up with being woken up God help me. There has to be a logic to Toby's barking. Chows are fierce guards and protectors even as maturing puppies and I know this will seem absolutely ridiculous to you, but I think the only way to find out why a classicly "quiet" chow barks for any length of time is to stay up with him all night and see what exactly causes noises or disturbance at 3.a.m.....just a thought. They are also very independent, distant and proud sometimes only relating directly to one "Master" in a room full of humans and/or other animals so another thing you could try is to give him a little separate space of his own to sleep in somewhere else, even though you say he gets on well with your other dog, just to see if that works. I believe that basically Chows are quite happy to spend all their time entirely alone. Hope so! Good luck! :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

P.S. Sorry, but I have just re-read your post and picked up on this item:
"....leaving him free in the room, putting him back in his crate..."
which has prompted two avenues of thought:
A Chow's main purpose in life, even more so than a bulldog or a rottweiler, is to guard his Master, even as a young puppy. In your attempts to find out what's bothering him at 3a.m. do you leave him free or put him back in his crate in the same utility room as your other dog? Does he bark when he's free in this room or in his crate in this room? It might be an absolute pain in the butt, .... but I think it might be a good idea to try letting him sleep outside of any kind of crate in another area on his own on his own little blanket or pad, or let him sleep beside or near you in the night. Just the two of you. Yes I KNOW one worries about peeing and stuff so make sure he pees a lot outside before sleep, they are very clever and soon learn their routines. It's all a guessing game with Chows, lots of thought, lots of give and take. Note: I admit there were times when I shouted at Ming out of sheer frustration because they are so stubborn but honestly you might as well shout at the President of China for all the good it does. Good luck again :!:
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i would consider your reactions to his barking. if every time he starts barking you go to see what he is up to, then you are encouraging the behavior. as long as he isnt annoying a neighbor or causing other problems, you need to let him bark, and ignore it. You know there is no real issue/threat. By responding to his barking you teach him that if he barks (misbehaves), you will come to him and offer comfort. Crate training allows for a certain independence, same if you are segregating the dog to a particular room away from you. You need to allow him the confidence to be apart from you if that is your training routine.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

I agree on just letting him to bark until he learn to settle, unless there will be issue around. You can try to put on a video camera and record the room to see what makes him barks so you can somewhat figure it out without physically there.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage