"TROLLING" IS NOT CHOWLIKE OR MANLY!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

"TROLLING" IS NOT CHOWLIKE OR MANLY!

Post by christina chow mum »

Hi again Chowlie friends! I am sorry to have to take up your time and “blog” this subject which is not about our Chows right now, but which I feel I have a duty to do. To the uninitiated, to new (and old) internet users who have “walked the mile”, to those experienced in “blogging” as I have been for many years and to all my fellow posters on the subject of our beloved Chows , which I believe we would all like to continue to do with total peace of mind, you may have seen in a current Topic “Puppy Watch 2” that on two occasions I have been subjected to instances of “Trolling” by a certain “blogger” or his “avatar”. In both instances I have dealt with the offender according to certain internet recognized rules (See below) and shall continue to do so, like it or not.

For those who don't know, trolling is a slang term used to describe any Internet user behaviour that is meant to intentionally anger, bully, deride or frustrate someone else, otherwise known as “cyber bullying”. It is often associated with online discussions/posts/forums/blogs where users are subjected to offensive or superfluous posts, sarcasm, ridicule, psychological bullying and messages written specifically in order to provoke a response or an online “argument”. A “Troll’s” primary intent is that of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussions/posting.

The Rules of the Internet
Is a list of protocols and conventions, originally written to serve as a guide for those who identified themselves with the Internet group Anonymous. By looking at the Rules of the Internet, one can understand the patterns of behaviour behind anonymous or even “avatar” named trolls:
For example:
All the carefully picked arguments you post will easily be deliberately ignored by a troll - so ignore the trolls!
Anything you say can and will be used against you. If you let it!
Anything you say/write can be turned into something else – usually fixed moronic comments.
Do not argue with trolls – it means that they win but in reality they are the “losers”.
The harder you argue, the harder you will fail. Don’t try, just say goodbye and go on to the next topic.
One thing "trolls" absolutely hate is to be totally IGNORED or LAUGHED AT as they truly deserve.
Even though it is a fact unfortunately, that some insecure, very young or even older yet inexperienced “bloggers” have actually been driven to committing suicide due to cyber “trolling” nothing is to be taken seriously :!: :!: For example:
References made to “Forum Moderators” as in my case, intended to scare the hell out of posters and make them “behave” is a false delusion as in many cases many, many sites throughout the Web have NO administrators at all!
We have a saying in Greece “Do I look as though I just stepped off a boat loaded with little pink Cretan bananas together with all the other tourists?” You don’t? Well, make the “troll” believe it.
I apologize once again. You have been warned my chowlie compatriots!
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
fosterspice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: "TROLLING" IS NOT CHOWLIKE OR MANLY!

Post by fosterspice »

I truthfully don't see where your problem is. I saw both of his posts and saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he was posting or what it was about. Also are you not an adult where you can't simply deal with it. Grow up a bit please. It will help the rest of us.
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyfearn »

have you thought about seeing a psychiatrist
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Whether or not you agree with the posts, the original author was trying to be helpful. Trolling really is a separate issue. Posting an item on an open forum, where you have a choice whether to view or not, and to respond or not, doesnt really fit your description.

You are not even following your own rules...not only are you not 'ignoring', as your post suggests, you are engaging and nothing is being posted anonimously. I too have little tolerence for maliscous posts, but i really dont see it in this instance. If you disagree or are not interested, agree to not read the post or submit a reasonable rebuttal.

I have had many discussions where i do not agree with the original opinion. I have had my opinion changed at times and have not been convinced on others. That seems to be the basis of a discussion forum. Those who have some knowledge will share it to the benefit of others, and those who have a varying opinion can counter. All in the interest of protecting and promoting the subject of the post, in this instance, Chows.
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Wow, what happened to my favorite site????? I used to love signing on to see other members' Chow babies, exchanging information on them, while usually reading posts with a big smile on my face about my favorite breed! Things on here were very cool UNTIL our international fellow
Chow admirer started talking about politics, her musings on being an expat, and her dislike of her fellow countrymen. We could get back to our original comradery if we stick to talking about Chows. By the way, I didn't see ANY bullying in those 2 posts. :cry:
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thank you all for your input on this unfortunate subject. Feedback much appreciated :!: Yes, I agree the poster’s comments may seem quite innocuous to you right now, they always do :!: If you re-read my topic you will see I did actually apologise twice for mentioning trolling on our favourite Chow site! Sorry folks but I can't keep on apologising all day! We are all entitled to our opinion and I respect your opinions, but everything has a beginning and an end. I have seen trolling before a hundred times and am not prepared to go down that route for any reason, there are other sites for that! I really love this Chow site, have picked up a mass of support, ideas and advice and I would like my little square inch of it to stay clean and pure, just like my Chow Ming! Even though our principal interest is our Chows, this does not mean that we are also IT robots without feelings or emotions wearing horse blinkers. I believe it is a very important topic to state, however distressing. Posts are there to be read or ignored and the net is the worst “misinterpretation” of the written word that exists today unfortunately. Basically my topic “invaded” our/your beloved Chow site because the two instances of what I personally and professionally believe to be “initial slow growing and insiduous” trolling “ just happened to occur on THIS site and not on Anthony Bourdain’s Worldwide Cookery eat out site :!: :!: Natch :!: Note: Not everybody wears the same pair of glasses! Suffice it to say the poster concerned has been “nipped in the bud” from the start and that is the end of it as far as I am concerned. I shall move on regardless posting about my gorgeous Ming, WHEREVER I may be internationally in the world, WHETHER I mention cruelty to animals and the UTTER DERISION of Chows I have experienced in my neck of Greece etc. etc. or not, regardless of WHOMEVER reads them or IGNORES them, or not.....ce la Vie! After all, every computer has an "off" button on it, dunnit? Choices, choices.....

Note: For the uninitiated, below is a typical instance of online trolling:

anthonyfearn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 pm

So, my chow friends, here is exactly the point I am trying to get across! What would YOU say in response to this :?: :?: In the trolling world, hypothetically, my/your next move in response to the aforementioned or those of the now ignored previous poster, is to either completely ignore the remark, which I do, OR I can freak out, be insulted, answer back, be equally immature,insulting and aggressive, he comes back, I go back, ping-pong, backwards and forwards, insults growing by the hour, ending up getting nastily up close and personal and trying to reinvent one’s very existence! No way Hose, those days are over :!: ! THIS CHOW SITE DESERVES BETTER :!:
Must go, Ming needs his walk, a visit to the vet today and a new toy to replace his old bitten one. LOL! :roll: :roll:
Thanks again for “reading”!
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

by anthonyfearn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 pm [BLOCKED]

Well, I finally decided to answer you cos you really do deserve my reply! Thanks for asking but my Chow Ming doesn’t need a psychiatrist, never has, never will. However, since you are obviously concerned about Ming’s mental health and mine and as I will be in the States [assume you are in the U.S.] between 23-29 November at various conferences, perhaps you would be kind enough to post me how much YOUR “shrink” has been charging YOU per hour for the last fifteen years so we could meet up and consult him/her together? Many thanks :!:
Do grow up, my dear :!:
fosterspice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fosterspice »

This is truly the last time I post about this subject. But you are annoying me very much ma'am. You specifically said not to argue with the "trolls" but yet that is what your specifically doing. Please stop being a hypocrite. This is a forum for the Chow. Not so you can go on rants and complain. If you dont like it please leave. Also I'd like to say the excessive use of BOLD letters and faces :D :D :D :!: :!: :!: dosent help your argument out either.
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyfearn »

your posts are becoming more and more erratic which brings me back to my first thought
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

christina chow mum wrote: .....References made to “Forum Moderators” as in my case, intended to scare the hell out of posters and make them “behave” is a false delusion as in many cases many, many sites throughout the Web have NO administrators at all!
FYI, the ChowChow.org forum is a moderated forum. If you are having trouble with a fellow member, kindly report the offence to the Administator and/or Moderators. For each member's convenience, there is a "report post" symbol on each post.

Thank you.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I understand that not every poster on this forum can offer constructive advice or even offer supportive responses to the issues that are presented. Some simply don't have the background with Chows or the experiences to offer assistance. Some are 1st time dog owners looking for assistance. Others are concerned for the overall breed well-being and don't know where else to turn for help. Some are simply dog lovers offering compassionate responses. It is what it is. Completely nonsensical diatribes as a post response are not useful to anyone. Skip over the topics that you can't contibute to in a positive manner and respond to those where you can offer insightful advice.

And i don't believe anyone was suggesting a psychiatrist for Ming.
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyfearn »

my last post on this subject , i have just read the post on ( puppy watch 2 ) i just cannot believe what this woman writes , there is a serious problem with this woman and something should be done ,i.e. banned
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thank you Rory's Dad. Well said :!: Of all the comments on this unfortunate topic which I had the complete lack of judgement, naivety and misfortune to post, yours have been the most objective, logical and constructive. Suffice it to say my "ignore" button has been turned on per se. Not worth the bother. Life's too short, It's time to move on. If people don't like "BOLD" or whatever else pinches a nerve, they can always ask the Moderators to remove the Toolbar, oh, and all the smilies or just remove them themselves from their own profiles and board options. It's that simple :!: :!: After all, it's a free democratic country and I was under the impression that this is a highly appreciated Chow Forum not a Dictatorship :!: :!: :!: [Touchy, touchy...].
Thinks: ".. Whoever decides to fight MONSTERS should see to it that in the process he does not himself become a MONSTER..." "...If you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze long enough back into you...."
Friedrich Nietzsche [Very true, Friedrich, very true...]

Happy Chow day to all! :) :)
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

I think you over reacted a bit and must you always have the last word?

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Oh my doesn't Brutus look nice...