Driving test in the UK?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ethans
Rank 0
Rank 0

Driving test in the UK?

Post by Ethans »

Recently, i have passed Alberta driving test and now i am thinking to pass UK driving test, Can any one let me know, How hard is it to pass the Test?

I don't have an EU driver's license even though I have EU citizenship. I have 30 years of driving experience in the US and a valid US driver's license (expires 2014 and can be renewed thereafter)

1 Do I have 1 year to drive on a US DL before I have to get a UK license once I get residency? When does the countdown of 1 year start, from the date of NI issue? Or?

2. If I live in London, would it be possible to go to a small town and take my driver's test there? I presume I would also take my driving lessons there. I plan on taking a test with automatic transmission. I know that it would be easier than using my left hand to do manual shifting. I also know that automatic DL means i can only rent or drive an automatic car.

3. Is it really that difficult to pass the UK Driving test? What is it like, the theory and road test?
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Driving test in the UK?

Post by Piff Poff »

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/drivers.aspx

This site will answer your questions on the actual test and rules and regulations. It looks like you get a year before you have to exchange. My husband and I found it bizarre (although handy) that we could just exchange our UK licenses for Alberta ones when we arrived here as there are so many different rules and traffic signs, even now 8 years on we go, well what does that mean? on occasion (flashing green light in BC).

The Alberta driving test is far far easier than the UK one. I am not just saying that. My daughter took her Alberta test last year and I was shocked that she didn't go round a roundabout (and there are one or two of these strange phenomenons around these days :wink: ) She didn't have to drive at speed, she didn't have to do a three pint turn, no hill start - loads of stuff.

Most rental cars in the UK are standard, I suggest if you can drive standard now, to take your test in a standard, it's a lot easier to buy a standard than an automatic in general standards are cheaper than autos as there are more of them. It seriously isn't difficult making the switch with where the gear stick is you only smack your knuckles a few times before you remember :lol: We used to drive LHD (muscle) cars in the UK.

I do believe can can take your test in any town, you can also request a cancellation which is likely to be in an alternative town, for example I lived in Cambridge and took my driving test in Bishops Stortford and My Motorcycle test (which was a cancellation) in Ipswich.
Thank you Sweatpea