Boston

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Boston

Post by Cam Atis »

I have been seeing news about the Boston bombing and its aftermath - to its near conclusion. My suspicion was proven right when police released that the bombers are muslims. It makes us all feel hostaged by these acts of terrorism. And Pres. Obama was even careful not to label it a terrorist act on his first speech regarding the subject. So careful not to hurt feelings there. But did we know that Islam hates dogs? I just learned recently. Someone I knew converted to Islam and he banished all his dogs. Apparently they will go to hell if they keep a dog in the house. They can't be touched or licked by a dog. Which gives me an idea....
why am I ranting here? Sorry. I really thought we should do something to stop the wave of terrorism sweeping each country in the world.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Boston

Post by Fozzbear »

No, by and large Muslims feel that dogs are dirty and don't want them around.
When it comes to bombers, you are dealing with Muslim extremists. Most Muslims do not interpret their religion in that way, are law abiding and peace loving and really p!$$£d off that a minority of people are damaging their reputations.
I find your post a little offensive - it is the 'which gives me an idea' part. There is a lot I don't like about Islam but I try to live and let live.
Extremism (in many different forms /from various religions) stinks. So does ignorance and lack of tolerance. Making sweeping over-generalisations does nothing to stop terrorism but stirs up fear/anger/hatred in communities.
That's my rant!
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

I'm glad that we feel comfortable on this site to express our opinions, but I prefer posts regarding the goings on of our beloved fuzzy wuzzy Chow bears, questions regarding their care, and the comaderie in knowing others love these majestic beings. Whenever I feel a little down, I go on here and look at all the other beautiful Chows, read about their antics, and feel a whole lot better!! Thanks.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Fozzbear wrote:No, by and large Muslims feel that dogs are dirty and don't want them around.
When it comes to bombers, you are dealing with Muslim extremists. Most Muslims do not interpret their religion in that way, are law abiding and peace loving and really p!$$£d off that a minority of people are damaging their reputations.
I find your post a little offensive - it is the 'which gives me an idea' part. There is a lot I don't like about Islam but I try to live and let live.
Extremism (in many different forms /from various religions) stinks. So does ignorance and lack of tolerance. Making sweeping over-generalisations does nothing to stop terrorism but stirs up fear/anger/hatred in communities.
That's my rant!
Well said.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I actually didn't know this. I agree there is a difference between Muslims and extremists as others have posted but I understood Cam Atis was directing the post at the extremists. I didn't find it offensive.

I do have a question though if anyone knows the answer, in countries that are primarily Muslim, why are there dogs at all and what are they used for if not pets?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Gonna respond to this as a resident of Boston. Mind you i was lucky enough not to have any relatives or close friends injured, but the event took place less than 2 miles from my office. I was at work that Monday, and as a manager, had to ensure that my staff was able to get home after they closed the subway and bus routes.

On Thursday, i was away for a dog show, but got EMS alerts that my office was closed Friday due to the shootout and manhunt. 2 of my employees live within the search zone and had their homes inspected by Swat Teams.

Personally, i could care less about Islam's view on dogs. And i will not judge all Muslim's based on the actions of a few individuals. These 2 men were able to cause the death and destruction that they sought. They created a financial disaster as well through the manpower spent hunting them and the loss of business in the aftermath of their actions.

I think the best news i have read after all of this is that there isnt an Islamic Mosque in the entire area that will consider holding a funeral for the deceased brother. From what i read, Muslims not condoning extremist behavior will not even utter a prayer for their souls. Muslims believe that atonement must occur before death otherwise they will not be forgiven.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Our thoughts are with you in Boston; it is a terrible state of affairs which you have responded to with dignity and strength.
This is heavy - can we discuss fluffy dogs again now please?
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Rory's Dad wrote: Personally, i could care less about Islam's view on dogs.
Really? I find it very irritating. Little boys screaming and hiding behind their mothers' skirts when they see my dog. Adult women running the other way when they see him. My dog being scared as hell when he hears someone talking in an Arab language because he suffered abuse by a foreign national before I adopted him. The Muslim family I was friends with for years not even taking their cat to the vet because it was "just an animal" and it just having one litter of kittens after another. I wouldn't mind it at all if Muslims adopted a 21th century mindset on animals sooner rather than later. I'm sure many of them already have. Unfortunately, not the ones I know.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

wouldn't mind it at all if Muslims adopted a 21th century mindset on animals sooner rather than later.
Outside of 1st world countries ( North America, Europe, Australian, etc), there are MANY countries where dogs are not idolized the way we seem to think they should be - and it has little to do with religion.

A 21st century mindset also means people having the knowledge and understanding that there are still plenty of countries where dogs are used for work in agricultural settings only, or are used for policing the public in countries that suffer a high incidence of dissidence, where dogs are considered vermin ( because of illness), and where people have no capacity to keep dogs as pets. People certainly would never consider bringing dogs into their homes, let them in their beds and share their lives with them, and you are not going to change this simply because you lived in a country that afforded you the luxury of being taught a different way. And it is purely a luxury.

Maybe if you ( and I mean "YOU" figuratively), lived in some of these countries you'd have a far better understanding of why dogs don't have the same esteemed status they so easily achieve in your country, and in a great many instances in some of these countries, people have every reason to fear dogs. Dogs carry rabies, virus and parasites, and cure, especially the rabies vaccine is available to tourists only in some of these countries and rarely obtainable by the locals - so to them, teaching their children to avoid contact with a potentially deadly species is no different from teaching a child to stay away from a poisonous snake.

Your needs , your lifestyle and way of living are not the same as theirs, and unless you've walked in those shoes, please don't condemn it - being afraid of an animal does not make them animal abusers or insensitive to the pain of others. For your information there are more of them, then there are of us.
Last edited by Merlin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

:-):-):-)
Last edited by chow4life on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Can we please drop this subject and get back to discussing what puts a smile on i'm sure everyone's face.
??? but is anyone forcing you to read this particular thread? There are thousands of other conversations going on in the forum.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Duplicate
Last edited by chow4life on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex343
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rex343 »

Chow4life, This is the community discussion section and it states for other matters not doing with chows, so merlin has a right to post and discuss topics of interest in the world. If this was in the groooming section I could see your point.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Rex, thanks for pointing that out. The Community Discussion section is geared to Non-Chow posts.

Sarahloo...you mention that your dog is afraid of Arabic speaking persons and that he was abused by a foreign national. I highly doubt that the abuser was of Islamic heritage since apparently they refuse to keep dogs.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

To all who says third world countries does not afford and is afraid of dogs, I live in a third world country. Majority are catholics. It is common even in my place to see EVEN a beggar having an equally beggarly dog in tow. That dog is an unwanted dog and the beggar befriended that dog. The beggar is never afraid of dogs. That dog is the beggar's best friend. It eats in his palm. Eats what he or she eats. It sleeps besides him. Here, one female beggar has a dog whose furr are all gone due to mites. Does the beggar hates the dog? No she cares for it. Until one time I saw the dog having little tufts of fur again. Such a sweet bond they have.
Merlin, it has nothing to do with living in 1st world or 3rd world. I can attest to that.
So you see no matter what the upbringing is, love for dogs is a universal thing. It comes natural to the human instinct unless it is taught dirty by some beliefs and as I noted, the belief that I have mentioned above. It is a fact. They only have use for the dogs for agriculture somewhere where there are still cattles to herd. - herding - guarding. But the canines I assume and presume does not enjoy the same love and affection afforded to it by those whose beliefs are otherwise.
I find Loo's fear of arabic speaking men is realistic, might stem from the fact that his prev. owners are speaking the same language.
As I have learned recently as my post indicates, it is true. Give me an urban dwelling muslims having a pet dog. I for the life of me, haven't seen one. And I live in a place where we have muslim neighborhoods. I just didnt know it was forbidden to them. They really thought dogs ARE DIRTY. It is in their teaching. BUT I ASK YOU, are dogs really dirty? Quite frankly ask yourself. If your answer is yes, why do you own one? Suppose it transfer to you a disease.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Herding is an exception. So they (the muslims) can keep a dog or dogs strictly for utility. But it is stated that to keep one will defile them. Angels dont even enter a household having dogs. So normal city dwelling families dont have dogs. Judging from their insight, it is not a far cry that the dog such as Loo were hit and left to starve sometimes or left cold out in the rain.
Anyway, I keep dogs coz eversince I have had a dog in my life. All neighbors keep dogs here. Rich or poor
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Those are peace loving muslims. I am talking about terrorist muslims. Like in Boston. Seeing those suffering rends my heart. And since I love dogs and is a cc.org member I thought how stark we are. How bizarre of us to love the same hated animal breed they abhor.
I was just wondering if it could have been possible for the terrorists to be stopped by a canine policedog like : lick them all you want!!! And the terrorists would all be"Ewww! I am defiled. Ewww!" So he gotta go cleanse himself again like the Abu Sayyaf did.