San Francisco Seeks Legislation Against Pit Bulls...

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

San Francisco Seeks Legislation Against Pit Bulls...

Post by Juniper »

This is what's happening in San Francisco as a result of a family's 2 pit bulls killing their own 12 yr. old son who was home alone with them.

:?: What did the boy do to get the pit bulls into such an agitated state so they would maul him to death? I don't believe anyone is looking into that type of questioning. So there is planned legislation in the works against pit bulls and probably all so-called dangerous dogs. :evil:

San Francisco Chronicle - June 7, 2005 - excerpt:

"We want to come up with a balanced approach to see what we can do to make sure this kind of tragedy doesn't occur again in the city and county of San Francisco. I cannot in good conscience sit back and wait for something else like this to happen," said Mayor Gavin Newsom, who asked his working group to come up with a list of recommendations within 10 days.

"I know people love their pit bulls," he added, "but I gotta tell you, there's a reason we don't allow people to have polar bears in their apartments, and mountain lions and the like. They're dangerous."

The task force, which will look at dog regulations in such cities as Denver and Los Angeles, will include representatives from a wide array of city agencies, including the police and health departments and the city attorney's office. Newsom said he also has asked his estranged wife, attorney and television legal analyst Kimberly Guilfoyle, for assistance. Supervisor Bevan Dufty has been asked to serve on the task force and carry any legislation to the Board of Supervisors."

[Love the alarmist polar bear and mountain lion in the apartment quote - how typical.]
:twisted: Imagine - they're including Denver as part of their focus! I sure hope they don't make the same mistake. :(
Jennifer & Sheena
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Don't worry. They can't make the same mistake. First, state law prohibits breed discrimination. Also, the bay area is very open minded to alternative measures. Whereas cities/city governments such as Denver appear to have history on extremist actions. I heard that they are pow-wow'ing to find ways where people can be more educated and learn responsible ownership versus taking away the right to own a specific domestic animal. The recent Denver and Chicago "non-laws" just wouldn't work here. Keep in mind, when the pressa canario incident happened that would have been the prime time to get the ball rolling on a breed specific ban. At the time, SFSPCA was a client of mine. My contact told me that even though their experts and the experts from Animal Care and Control determined the surviving pressa canario was extremely dangerous and getting more dangerous each day it was locked up in a kennel. They did not want to humanely euthanise the dog until all avenues have been explored.

I think there are just far too many powerful animal rescue orgs and wealthy animal lovers in the bay area to ban pitbulls, etc.... remember, SF law constitutes one who owns a dog as a "guardian", as dogs (and cats) are not possessions but family members.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Okay... so I think I need to eat some humble pie here.

FYI, an update on California's breed specific legislation. Feel free to sign/comment one or both petitions. SB 861 is introduced by my local senator, my district, who is actually a very fair senator. However, I'm not keen on this bill. The other week, I was watching a newscast where our crazy county sheriff would like to enact an ordinace to shoot all wondering pit bulls at sight and not allow any in shelters to be adopted or fostered out. Our humane society president says that's inhumane and would not solve the real problems. However, if this bill passes, the crazy sheriff could win out over the humane society. First pits, next chows. So if my two were ever to wonder away, at sight per the sheriff's ordinance...sad, very sad.

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/bills/SB_861/
http://www.petitiononline.com/nocabsl/petition.html

This is fyi stuff:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Proposed San Francisco Breed Specific Legislation- SB 861

Post by Juniper »

Thanks for keeping us posted Lou - I've signed the petition. Harumph from me and Sheena to CA Senator Speier who is on the wrong track! This SB 861 Bill is not OK. :x...:cry:...:x
Jennifer & Sheena