I'm Worried About My Friend's Dog, Fox

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fox's New Friend
Rank 0
Rank 0

I'm Worried About My Friend's Dog, Fox

Post by Fox's New Friend »

I'm a house guest at my friend's house. He has a 10 year old male Chow who lives outside on his property. I was apprehensive at first because of their reputation but he is just a cuddly animal. I've been here a week and notice that no one talks to or pets him, the dog. Most days my friend will put food in the dog's dish which is in the kitchen. But the dog spends everyday outside or on the covered porch. He's looked so big with all that hair bit he's kinda skinny under it all. By the third day I was here, I've been here a week, I scrambled him an egg and put it with his food. Then tonight I gave him a pork chop with his food.

I need to admit that I'm a bleeding-heart when it comes to dogs, and he's not abused. It's just that he's bonded to me more than anyone that lives here, and I just met him (the dog)! We walk around the property, I bought him a bone and he hid it--there went $7.00. I let him in and he lays on the floor next to my bed but I can tell it's too hot in here for him and he breathes heavy. We're in Northern Idaho and it's warmer this week at 40 degrees.

He's never had a toy or a bone. If he's had a bath, it hasn't been in years. I amde an appointment for PetCo to go in for a bath and brush and trim. His fur is matted a little. That way, I figure, if he has poor-health signs the gir will mention it. I don't know if he's ever been to a vet. He had trouble jumping on the bed (shh, don't tell my friend I let him on the bed:) Do you think he should take a Glucosamine/condroitin suppliment?

I'm leaving next week. So thanks for listening.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: I'm Worried About My Friend's Dog, Fox

Post by Laura »

I think it is great that you care for animals enough to try and improve his life while you are visiting and coming here for advice as well. I also think it sounds like Fox should have a visit with a vet for a complete physical exam. Is he vaccinated? On heart worm preventative? Does he ever go to the vet? At his age arthritis is a distinct possibility or even hip dysplasia since it is so common in chows. G&C or even arthritis/pain meds could be needed. Also the trip to the groomers is a great idea. Mats can lead to hot spots and pull the skin leading to pain and even infections.
This fella is a senior and just needs somewhere soft to lay his head, access to clean water and nutritious food, good vet care so he is not suffering in silence, and someone to love him. Unfortunately too many people have pets that are not properly loved and cared for which I consider abuse whether the technical definition fits or not.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I seriously think that you should talk to your friend as neglect IS abuse! Chows require a lot of grooming and are generally unhappy without company.
If the friend is close enough to you that you can stay at their home for a week then you should be able to broach the subject. As they get older, chows require particular care and it sounds as if your friend just isnt up to it and needs to re-think!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

This is one i struggled with for a bit on responding...on the one hand, i think its great that you are concerned about Fox and whether he is properly cared for. Personally, my dogs are inside pets, and only go out to do business. At times they wish to stay outside longer than i would care for, and worry that they should come in. Then again, my wife likes a 72 degree house year round and that may not be really comfortable for them.

Please dont take this the wrong way, as i know your intentions are good, but my dogs are also on a very regimented diet. Eggs and pork chops aren't on it, nor would i guess that they are on most Chow diets. Both are very high in protein, and Fox may not tolerate it well.

He also may not be a good grooming client. Since you dont know the dogs history, you could be placing either the groomer or the dog at risk. Is he a biter that needs to be muzzled? Has he had Rabies shots? Is he allergic to the normal shampoos? Is he social with other dogs?

It does sound like there may be some care issues, but you need to discuss your concerns with the owner. There may be very good, logical reasons for what you are seeing.

I would not be very happy with a house guest that suddenly supplemented my dogs diet with various items or didnt think about these other risks.

Again, i know you are trying to do the right thing, but there is a lot of things to take into account with what you are doing.
Fox's New Friend
Rank 0
Rank 0

Oh thank you all for the responses. I didn't think about those worrisome things you have mentioned. I thought I was doing something good but was it good for the dog? I wasn't sure so I posted here. Apparently I could have done damage. I do appreciate all the input.

He does not know about the Chow breed I guess because I asked my friend if it was ok to give him what I did and he said 'yeah he can eat anything'. Wow he doesn't even know his own dog's needs. And I only offered to pay for the PetCo visit (not take him or feed him behind the dog-owners back) and he thought the dog would do fine. I am so glad I posted my questions on here and thank you again for all your input.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Well here's my take on it for whats its worth. I think that a chow as senior as that is going to need some extra care very soon and you obviously have a soft heart and have seen Fox's plight. Perhaps you could sit down with your friend and just explain that he may need to come in at this age when it is cold at least. He will need a bit more food as it is hard to keep weight on an old dog. Through discussion may come a different way of looking at things and hopefully with a new friend Fox will have a better life. I also was worried about the grooming aspect though it sounds like Fox may be reasonable handleable if he climbs on your bed etc. Just take great care and make the groomer go very slowly and not try to force anything. Chows are quick to deffend themselves if they are frightened and this may be a very new experience. Grooming out matts is a painful business and it is most unlikely they will all come out in one grooming session. Can you offer to help with the odd walk and such to make Fox's life more interesting?
When chows get older they have joint problems and it can cause pain to get cold and stiff and sore from lying on the hard ground. A soft padded bed would help or even a hammock style dog bed. Also a good joint supplement. I think from the sound of it your friend may just be not thinking properly rather than meaning to be cruel so talking may help. Good luck and thank you for caring.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sirchow always has a way of stating what i am thinking in a gentle way. I apologize if i come off harsh, it just seems to happen sometimes.

Your concern for Fox is great. Just make sure that any actual actions are thought through and counseled.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

You meant well, =; but it can be harmful to a dog feeding it something other than its regular diet. Sudden changes in diet can lead to digeative trauma, shedding of the mucus lining of the intestine and bleeding as seen in the stools approximately five days after ingestion. Other organs can be permanently affected. :shock: :o
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

It sounds like your friends Chow is kept as a yard ornament and the owner does not know their dogs personality or its wants and needs. :(
Fox's New Friend
Rank 0
Rank 0

You guys are so nice! I didn't think anyone was being harsh. "Yard Ornament" no way here. I'm from a big city and are used to seeing 'dry clean only' dogs with their expensive dog food and funny sweaters. This is not the case here. It's rural and he is not up about having a Chow. To him its just like any of his other dogs he's had over the years. He lives in a rural area and is not even fenced in. They have 5 acres and the dog has never run off. Fox, the dog, has let children lay on him and push and pull on him and never had a problem. (I'm not saying its right). The other roommate brushes him no problem and I even have. I talked to my friend about all the concerns mentioned here. Even saying, "if he freaks out, you don't want Petco suing you.' I had to put it in his terms.

He just doesn't believe in spending the money on vets and grooming. Again, I'm not saying it's right but I'm in back woods territory here and they do things different.....if you know what I mean.

I called Petco and the groomer that will groom him has experience with chows. We decided that if he gets scared or fidgety, she will stop and give him treats and call us to pick him up. I told her that he has never been groomed before. So, if we get there and he freaks out because of all the new smells - and what dog doesn't at PetCo? - we won't force it.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Fox found a great new friend, some people are just under the understanding a dogs a dog but on here you will find we all feel a chow is a special addition to our families and treat them just like our family members in some cases even better..LOL
I think you are a wonderful caring person who came into Foxs life at the right time, and hope you can continue to be in his life even if its just periodically
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Perhaps you can 'adopt' Fox from a distance and send him the occassional care package. Every dog deserves the occassional treat. Any outside dog needs some sort of shelter and really, at his age he needs to come indoors - could you pursuade your friend of that at least?
Fox's New Friend
Rank 0
Rank 0

I'm going to be leaving soon, in a day or so. I came here to thishttps://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=privacy&s ... poser&view town (he's a friend of a friend who offered me a place to stay). What I found, though, is a filthy house and the man has a shady past. I only stayed this long (a week) because of the dog. but it is really not what I have ever lived in. Think the Clampets before they moved to Be-ver-ly.

Anyway, I am glad to talk to all of you. It reminds me of when My German Shepherd was still alive and I would talk to other Shepherd owners. Thank you for all the support. I wish I could take him with me but wouldn't have a place to put him. I'll go with them to PetCo tomorrow because I promised, and then leave on Thursday. If you scroll down a little on the left, I put his pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/snow.runner.1
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

LOL , well maybe.foxy can find some bubblin crude, and become a millionaire and move TOO!
Well glad you hung in there for Foxs benefit .