The Chow, the Labrador, and Petsmart

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

The Chow, the Labrador, and Petsmart

Post by TyChowgirl »

I take my friend's labrador to the park when they are working late, but today it started to rain on our way there. I let them wander around the city park for a little bit until it started to really come down. I thought it would be nice to take them to petsmart. Pftt. Usually they are well balanced together,but lately her lab has been a little goofy probably because the lack of exercise and the long hours my friend has been putting in. Normally, they see a dog, the excitement is usually positive or non existant for Ty, just stoic curiousity. Emily has been barking and lunging at people, and when she saw the kuvaz she went NUTS. Ty was still calm, greeting normally, but even after the sniff, (since the owner insisted on coming over while I had two dogs with me) she was still going nuts. So I took her out to the car, where she also has separation anxiety issues and took Ty back inside. He loves Petsmart and he was being awesome. I never thought I'd have to suggest NILF for a lab lol, but I told my friend she should start practicing this. I'm also going to see if I can convince her and her husband to walk her around the block even once a day before they leave and we've talked about leaving her with a frozen peanut butter kong. She's been opening the closet and getting into the garbage and tearing things up, getting crazier and crazier lol. It's nice to say my boy is not only more well behaved but more balanced despite his shyness at times.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Chow, the Labrador, and Petsmart

Post by Fozzbear »

It is crazy having a lab and not exercising it! Can they get a dog walker? While they still have a house left?
Humphrey is on bed-rest at the moment; he isn't allowed to do anything at all. I'm wondering how on earth to keep him occuppied and feel I may end up with a half-eaten sofa before the end of the month.
Glad Ty is so well behaved.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

They take her to the park a couple times a week and play frisbee or ball with her outside for a bit from time to time. Emily isn't a normal 2 year old lab. She's not full of boundless energy... But she's taking it out in other ways. And it could be far worse, she only gets into the garbage sometimes but that's a more recent development. My friend texted me later and asked me what I did because she was being good. I told her I gave her consequences for her actions and put her in her place. She said she walked her today and she was being so good. So I think she just needs to meet her dog needs a bit more and go back to basics.
I really think she's acting out for attention in a way. So hopefully more time with her will help. Ty lets me know when he needs more of anything. Lately he seems to want more socialization and dog park time because he doesn't want to leave. That was his bad streak this week lol. He looked right at me when I called him, gave that impish chow grin and kept on trotting away from me. I would have stayed longer for him but it got dark so we had to leave.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I think dogs need to go out every day, no matter what. My two only stay in if they have been to their Canine Club the day before (outside playing all day) or went for a really long walk. Dogs get bored and are bound to misbehave, eat the carpet, generally look for trouble if they arent given a walk. To be honest, it really annoys me when people get a dog that they can't commit the proper care to. I cost myself a fortune in doggie walker and Canine Club, but it is what my dogs need to be happy.

Talking of Ty not wanting to leave the dog park. When I pick Fozz up from Canine Club, if I forget to close the driver side door of my car, as soon as she has jumped into her space in the back, she jumps straight out the front and tries to go back in! Cheeky!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Retrievers!
They'd tear your shoes if you dont put in extra hours to exercise them. And they always find a way to get attention. Say: your just discovered your car cover in tatters - happens all the time.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Your original topic header sounded like the opening line of a joke! Excellent that the experience of chow owning can assist with the "non-stubborn" breeds. :D