"Dangerous breed" bullcrap... -.-

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

"Dangerous breed" bullcrap... -.-

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so over it! EVERY time I go out with Dixie, Jasper, or Snooki I hear bullcrap from people. With Dixie and Jasper, it's always "oh, a chow... I don't trust them"; or "they're vicious"; or "I know someone/heard of someone being attacked by a chow"... And with Snooki it's always "they're vicious", "they'll turn on you"; "they're killers"; or "you can't trust them"! Ugh! I've even been told I "should just put them down now, before something happens"! Like wtf is wrong with people?! The dogs have done nothing to anyone! They're nothing but friendly and just want to say "hi" to everyone. I just don't get how someone can look someone in the face and tell them they need to put their dogs, who are just looking for some loving, to sleep because of their breeds? And mixes at that!? I just don't understand! Ugh!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: "Dangerous breed" bullcrap... -.-

Post by wokman »

I have been told by various people in Rescue that Chows seem to be less tolerated in the South East and rural areas where working/sporting breeds are more favored. Some people just do not have the ability to understand the Chows Cat like personality. As long as words do not lead to action, I just ignore the comments. Where I have had problems is with Veterinarians who have ignored health problems they detected in my dogs, until conditions became worse. :-x
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Just walk away and ignore Jess! :roll: Ignorance is just best ignored - not worth a response.
Remember, "Sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me!"
=D= =D= =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Move to England - everyone loves a chow (most have never seen one before).
Other than that - smile sweetly and knowingly and walk on by......
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I try my best to ignored it but it so hard when people get in your face or start yelling the BS at you...

Last night, it was some stupid woman (who I've had a run in with before about her dogs charging us) who started yelling that my dogs "are dangerous" and "need to be put down before they do something" while her stupid little rat dogs (a chihuahua, a JRT, and some small husky looking thing) where charging across their front yard at us. And ALL we were doing was walking down the sidewalk ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET from their property! I tried to just ignore her and keep walking but when the first rat latched itself onto Jazz, I punted it back into the street and yelled at her to get her "d@#% dogs on leashes and under control". I ended up kicked all the rats at one point or another and the JRT latched onto my shoe. I was furious! And my dogs just sat there watching me the whole time. Like seriously? And she claimed MY dogs were dangerous!
Jess
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

If she really thinks your dogs are so dangerous why is she letting her rat dogs charge at you? Try not to let people like that bug you Jess. Maybe you should point out to her that your dogs are not the ones that are out of control. I find so many people with small dogs (not all, but a lot) don't feel a need to teach them manners because they think the behaviour is "cute". I've said this before on other threads but I'll say it again, if it isn't cute in a 60 pound dog it isn't cute in a 6 pound dog. Personally I try to not let other people's opinions affect me and when people let their annoying little aggressive rat dogs taunt Cocoa we just walk away. Fortunately around here there aren't a lot of people who know the chow "reputation" and the ones that I have run into that do are the kinds of people that I would prefer keep thinking that way so I don't correct them.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I dunno why she let's her stupid rats charge at us... But it's not the first time they have... -.- However, it's the first time she's said anything like this to me. I agree with you though, I expect good behavior and temperament out of ALL dogs, no matter what size. It just bothered me that she said these 3 needed to be put down because of their breed mixes.
Jess
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not to make light of your situation, because i know it's upsetting to you, but...

I chuckle at the image of you punting the rat dog. i have been tempted to do that on several occasions.

We don't run into the same thing here though. Mostly we get parents pointing out our Chows to their kids and telling them about the black/blue/purple tongue.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

In all honesty, it felt good to do it. :lol: I've had about 10 run ins with these rats running loose, and I've really had it. There's a leash law and this idiot refuses to follow it! AND animal control won't do anything about it! It's so irritating. The last straw was when the first one to reach us latched itself onto Jasper's neck...

I've run into a few people who're very knowledgeable about chows, and I've literally talked for hours with them, but they're few and far between. I wish there were more people like that.
Jess
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

In our neighborhood Brutus is famous, everyone loves him to the point if I take him for a walk it takes a lot longer. Kids and their parents will come out of their houses/garages to pet him. Cars will stop on the parkway to ask his name because the kids just call him " that lion dog". In our circle the 12 kids usually swarm him and he's loves it. Their parent know the kids are safe so I never here any of that stuff.

Brutus
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Our first chow, Cinder, was the celebrity of our old neighborhood. Everyone came out of their houses/garages just to say hi to him when we all too our walks. When I had Tippsy though, we were met with the "dangerous" stereotype in all 3 neighborhoods we lived in and I'm apparently still met with it... And my guys aren't even purebreds...
Jess
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

I laugh at people like that...People around here tho love our chows they want to pet them all the time...Our female she is like the wallmart greeter..lol Our Male is not so much he is your typical Chow...look but do not touch...LOL....other then that there great with people and i guess were lucky not to have ignorant people like this person seems to be....

Oh on a side note were looking to get a caucasian sherpard i really dont think people will approach us with him...LOL nevermind the chows...look that dog up you will see what i mean...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, i love the celebrity status. We see the same. Rory is the star of any dog gatherings in town and even at shows. He may be in trouble though, as we just picked up Amber last night, and i think she is going to be a stunner.