Tibetan Mastiff

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tibetan Mastiff

Post by Hugo »

Hi all,
Just wanted to know if anyone has had much to do with Tibetan Mastiffs. I really like the look and size of them and the ones I've seen online (some) look like enormous chows without the blue tongue. They claim they are one the the most anceint breeds in Asia, and I was just curious if anyone had any more info on the breed. BTW I'm a Chow owner and lover, Not likely to switch ut perhaps expand!!
Thanks x
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Tibetan Mastiff

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I don't know much about them, but I think they're gorgeous. Even though, the first time I saw one I thought it was a poorly bred chow (he was red).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Have never seen one in person. One was entered in a show last year and we searched for it, but it was a no-show. Other than that, i can tell you that they are HUGE. Generally in the 150-200 lb range. I also recall an article from early last year that a Tibetan Mastiff held the record for most expensive dog ever sold...
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tibetan Mastiff

Post by Pinoy51 »

They're bread in the northern part of China, as work and guard dogs.
They're absolutely not fit for standard household or family due to their enormous size and Chow attitude (protective and attached to single person). If you're not a long term successful pack leader with ample space (farm house etc.), please do not consider this breed.
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Well now I know what the two huge Chows really were that I saw years ago. :lol:
Zoey and I were in a small room in a Veterinarian Clinic a year ago with a huge Bull Mastiff and its two small elderly owners holding on to it. Zoey and I were saying our prayers when he barked at us; I thought we would become his dinner :-8 :shock:
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Well, all I know is that Humphrey's new best friend is a Tibetian Mastiff called Walter! Walter and his sister Winnie live in Cheshire and are big, beautiful and very friendly dogs. I have a video of Humph and Walter sumo wrestling - will try to post it here.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Not sure if this link will work or not but it is Walter and Humphrey play-wrestling.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 2681781599" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Look up an Caucasian shepherd...Thats my next dog he is awesome...qualitys of CHOW TOO....He is BIG and very good with other pets you own and children...Trying to talk my Wife into letting us get one...lol....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyfearn »

if you want to see some great tibetan mastiffs go on you tube and search k9tmd this guy really knows his stuff , they are fantastic dogs apparently the most expensive dog in the world with one once selling for 1 million pounds
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

did anyone catch the tibetan in the groups at Westminster...if not...

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/20 ... 32709.html
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Pinoy is right. Tibetan mastiff are huge dogs.. although adorable, if you dont have enough space and dedication, you'll have ahuge headache later on
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

hey are fantastic dogs apparently the most expensive dog in the world with one once selling for 1 million pounds
Those are not Tibetan Mastiffs, those are hydrids and basically "designer" mastiffs. Don't be impressed at how much money people can suck out of other people who simply don't know better.'

Here are links to educational sites about Tibetan Mastiffs
http://www.tibetanmastiffinfo.com/

and Cam Altis is correct. These are not dogs for typical homes with back yards. These are dogs that need a huge amount of roaming space and exercise.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!