Crossing fingers...

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Crossing fingers...

Post by TyChowgirl »

So, I know this isn't a chow chow topic, but this has been an awesome place to go for a support system and it's full of caring and wonderful people. Sort of like Jess and Victory, I've had my troubles with getting my life on track with a job. Not just any job, but my career. I feel selfish saying that because technically right now I have three jobs. But like so many college graduates these days, they're not in my field. There are many of us who are still flipping burgers to pay off the large debt we've collected going to school and doing the best we can to be the best of the best. This May, will be the third year out of college and I've had very few interviews even after moving to a more populated area. My field is a tough field. I'm a certified Art teacher. Something I'm extremely passionate about. I love my job, but very few have given me a chance. This year, I've met a lot of teachers and things seem to be falling into place. They all have done their best to improve what I already have including my confidence which has been slowly sinking. While it's nice to have a friend from college down here, I've been waiting almost three years to land a job and she's got one with the school district I've been subbing in. While it's not in our original field, it's kinda degrading to sub for your peer when you graduated a year and a half before her. The first screening interview I had this year with a school district an hour away from my home, I knew I had won them over and walked away feeling good. My feelings were confirmed when literally a week later I got a phonecall from a principal for a second interview. I went in, trying my best today to not succumb to my nervousness. I thought it went OK, but not the same as the first. I didn't think this one has the WOW factor. I had a sinking feeling in my stomach as I walked out that I may have not done enough or been good enough (sometimes I'm not just humble, I'm insecure). I think for me, this was it. This was the closest I've come and I wanted it so bad I didn't want to mess it up. While I had nothing to lose I had everything to lose as I'd yet again have to wait who knows how long for another interview. After talking with my teacher friends and recounting the interview, it turns out I may not have done as bad as I think I did. I'll find out in a week or so. Just...asking for some crossed paws or fingers or prayers or what have you, I guess. I want this so bad. It's such a huge part of me that's been missing because, again, I LOVE what I do. It's a part of me and not to toot my own horn, but I'm good at it. I can develop relationships with students and get them excited because I'm excited and passionate about what I do. I just hope that this time is my turn.
Sorry for the long post....thanks for listening
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Crossing fingers...

Post by wokman »

Your enthusiasm should win them over, it did for me. Teaching Children to be creative instead of just pushing buttons is essential in developing their little minds. Six paws, four fingers crossed. **==
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Please don’t get discouraged. I know that is easier said than done.
We need more teachers like you who have the passion and enthusiasm for teaching our young people and want to encourage and inspire them to learn new and different things! Some teachers are just there for the money. They put in their time and really don’t seem to care if the children learn anything and that is sad. I subbed in our local school district for several years in the secretarial pool and had my share of observing and dealing with teachers.

Please keep us updated . Think positive!

Allow me to be your personal cheerleader “YOU GO GIRL!” \:D/ =D=

Paws and fingers crossed here and sending winging prayers in your direction.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Can I join the cheer leading team - I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed and will ask Matilda and Maisie to cross their paws. :D
I do hope it works out for you, I really do - but - if it does not just chin up and keep on fighting for what you want. It will happen in the end - it is just the waiting that is so damned annoying. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
My Auntie who was also my Godmother used to tell me when I was growing up and something had not gone quite right - "When one door closes, another always opens!" :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Thankyou. I sent what I thought was a really nice professional letter, priority mail so it would get there today as they're supposed to be making the decision within a week. I wish I could keep my anxiousness at bay.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yea....They picked another candidate...
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

So sorry to hear you didn’t get this job. :( Judy Fox and I were really cheering for you. Guess we need to amp it up a little. :)

There are times when things don’t pan out like I was hoping they would , I will say to myself “Oh well, back to the drawing board” (no pun intended). In other words - Don’t give up. Gotta keep thinking positive and I know that is hard to do sometimes. At least you got the experience of doing an interview and were in the running for that position. That is a good thing! :)

Please keep us posted.

Fingers and paws still crossed here for you. Sending winging prayers and purple kisses your way.
Last edited by reddog on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

So sorry, had all of our paws crossed for you. But, platitude though it may be, I always think that means there's something better coming along. OK, sounds corny, but I like to think it's true!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I suppose it could have been a blessing I didn't get it...I mean they had two teachers in that position resign in the same school year...makes ya wonder lol
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I know it is very discouraging but remember, everything happens for a reason. Now I know this is a cliche but it really is true of most things when you look back. This job wasn't meant to be but that is because there is something better out there for you.