stink under chin from dooling

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Donna R.
Rank 0
Rank 0

stink under chin from dooling

Post by Donna R. »

I have 2 chows, my blue chow is male and he drools quite a bit, he has this horrible odor under his chin and I cant seem to figure out why. My female red chow does not have this problem. I had a male chow for 14 years before my babies now and we never had this problem. I try to keep him clean but the smell is always there, what can I do?
Lowi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: stink under chin from dooling

Post by Lowi »

Hi!
Our chow had the same issue. We eventually took her to the vet. She had a skin infection and they gave us antibacterial wipes, ointment and antibiotics and the issue cleared up. Had to clean her with antibacterial wipes daily for the rest of her life. I forgot the diagnosis name but the drool gets trapped in her chin folds and causes skin irritation and bacteria to build up. Could also be yeast and treatment will be different.
Hope this helps.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: stink under chin from dooling

Post by Victory »

Yep. You have to make sure that he is dry down to the skin. If it is stinky right now, he might indeed have an infection there. A vet will have to take a look. You can use a product called "show eyes" on the area after it is all cleared up. "Show Eyes" is normally used to clean the eye area to get rid of the tear stains and bacteria that gathers there. I have used it on wet chins too and it cleans and helps the area dry more thoroughly. You have to follow the instructions because you don't leave the product on the skin.

A trip to the vet is in order first though.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!