The Chow "Pout"

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

The Chow "Pout"

Post by cherriemater »

Greetings ... something new happened tonight which I just have to relate. So, many of you might know that we just went through a very bad snow storm and are still feeling the affects (heavy wind and blowing snow). This has caused an interruption in our routine so the boys didn't get a walk today, but they have been outside zooming in the play pen and I made new treats for them which consist of sticky rice that I pressed and cut into small squares. THEY LOVE 'EM!!

So, anyway ... we also have a guest staying with us (the person with whom Joe rides to/from work). We invited her to stay rather then drive home in the storm. Her house still has no power and her VERY rural roads have not been plowed yet, so she's staying another night. She's a dog person and after some barking from Leo (and subsequent "bathroom time-out") both boys warmed up to her and she's a part of the family now.

But I digress ... We've been watching Christmas movies most of the day and during Christmas Vacation (we've already watched it 6 times ourselves so far but Angie hasn't ever seen it) I came into the computer room to do some facebook. Leo comes in and scratches the chair so I turn and ask him what he wants. He whines a bit and I reach out for him (if he backs up it means it wants to go back outside ... if he stands there it means he wants a cuddle) and he allows me to gather him up ... so much so I put him up-side-down in my lap and start rubbing his belly (he LOVES this). Two seconds later, he's done and down he goes. He wanders back out into the living room but comes back and scratches my chair again. When I turn around he actually gets in my lap (front legs only) and stays! That NEVER happens. This is more than a cuddle! So precious. I pet him, hug him, kiss him until he gets down but he doesn't leave. He whines again, so I say, "Okay, show Momma what you want," and off he goes.

Now, if he stops at the stove, that means I left a pot or pan and he can smell it and wants a taste. If he goes to the sliding door, he wants to go outside. If he goes to the refrigerator, he wants a treat. If he goes into the utility room (which leads to the garage, then outside) it means he either wants a walk or a ride in the truck.

Leo went into the utility room and because it was sorta late, I said, "No honey, we're in for the night. It's time to lay down." He put his head down and headed for the back of the house. Me, I went back to the computer. I hear Max go into the bedroom, which means mischief and I need to investigate. I turned on the light and >>sigh<< there is my boy lying with his face to the wall, in Joe's spot, head down. My eyes welled up!!! I went and told Joe that his boy was "pouting" so Joe went to talk to him. Two minutes later I hear the word, "Harness," and swift paws on the flooring heading quickly to the utility room. Off we went on a late-night walk.

Good job, Joe!!! So, here's two things about my boy, Leo. One, he obeyed. He went and laid down. Two, he pouts and this is how he does it. Good boy, Leo!! You taught me something new today. Good boy, Max for going in there to comfort your brother. ((Of course, after we got in from our walk Max has REFUSED to come into the house ... so outside HE sits. That's his way of pouting.)) Good boys, all.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Chow "Pout"

Post by oceans »

Such a funny story. I know all about the "pout". Matilda knows every time I get ready to leave the house and she goes up the stairs and into my bedroom and pouts. I go up to talk to her and she won't even look at me. I give her a pet or a hug and tell her momma be right back. True to form when I come home she greets me at the door and all is forgiven with her blue kisses.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Would love to have the sticky rice recipe - I used to cook white rice for Tess..... Would love to give Lilly some good natural treats. Thank you & yes love the pouts.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Awww such a cute story. Your Joe is like my hubby. He cant bear the dogs to be unhappy either for two seconds. :D

Isla tries to pout but she has such natural love and exuberance it kinda starts as a "really"...."you are not taking ME?"....and turns so quickly into "I love you Momma SO MUCH" wiggly bottom tale wag. That pup just cant help the love spilling out. Never knew a chow like her anywhere lol.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Me & Tess: I do just regular rice but use a bit extra water or a little less rice. When it's done I add chicken or turkey brother so it's pretty wet. Then, I mush it into this small brownie pan I have and put it in the fridge. When it's "cold" I use my pastry scraper to cut it into squares, then put it in a bowl. Sometimes it sticks together, sometimes not. Boys don't care and my floor gets clean if it breaks apart :D

Siriol: Oh Miss Isla!! I know what look and wag technique. I love so much how their eyes may say one thing, but their tail tells another story. Little wags, flick-flicks or over-exuberant helicopter tails. Good girl Isla!
Ingen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingen »

Such a nice story...

Mine will give the "puss in boots" look while wiggling her tail softly when I reprimand her for silly things she did. It just makes you stop and give her a hug instead.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Indeed it does. They know how to melt our hearts, don't they!!! Such sweeties, our chowdren!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! :lol:
Maisie Daisy is a great little pouter but when I come back home she does her Happy Dance and covers my face with purple kisses so I am quickly forgiven. Matilda is a little more reserved and will just sit and look at me when I come back in - then eventually she gives in and cannot resist a cuddle and gives kisses - I just love them. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)