FYI hide a houSe key outside NOW

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

FYI hide a houSe key outside NOW

Post by chowpups »

My husband and I always hide a house key outside for emergencies ( power outages and garage door doesn't work etc) well this morning Bella was sick throughout the night and we have been very hastily getting her as fast as possible out the door when she cries to go out or looks at us funny! So at 5:30 this morning I came down to let her out and I was out side with her when my husband left for work and as he waved good bye he hit the remote and left! Yes he automatically shut the garage with me out side with no coat or key or cell phone and I waved frantically for him to stop and yelled but he always cranks up the radio so off he went to work and I went to look for the key outside. but due to recent construction on the house the key was no longer there!!!! So I went to the garage door pad and that no longer was working ( workers removed it and didn't get it back on right ) so here Bella and I were out in the cold rain at 5:30 am no other neighbors awake yet ..We sat and she kept me warm for about an hour or longer then I noticed a neighbors lights were on and we went knocking. Not everyone answers their doors at 5:30 am to see what nut is at their door ! So I waited till I saw a car coming up and I flagged them down and they had a cell so I called m Son who plays basketball at 5 am on Mondays near by but he didn't recognize the name of the NEW neighbor and thought it was a wrong number and didn't answer it at first. 3 calls later at 7:30 he answered and came over and got me in..Moral is make sure you have a key out side ..Usually Iam in my night gown at that hour but I was dressed today cause something told me it was going to be a long day with Bella , glad I was!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: FYI hide a houSe key outside NOW

Post by Piff Poff »

LOL!

I shouldn't laugh but a similar thing happened to us just a few days ago. Let me set the back story:

I have a truck with remote start (for those that don't know, you push a button on your key fob and your car starts and it all starts getting warm and cozy) keys stays inside with you until your ready to leave. With a remote start as soon as you touch the brake pedal the engine turns off unless you have turned the key in the ignition.

Husband has just got a new to us car, without remote start, so he goes outside in the morning, starts his car comes back in leaves keys in ignition.

SO the other day, OH remote starts my truck prior to going out, it's about -20, he puts the keys on the side where he's picked them up from. I grab my stuff, say bye to Henry and get in the truck, OH faffs around and joins me in the truck about 3 minutes later, he goes to turn the ignition and just looks at me. I instantly know he has left the keys inside, locked away with Henry. Our daughter is at work, none of the neighbours have a spare key and we have no way of driving anywhere and we know the car will turn itself off in about two minutes (remember -20). We test the doors we can reach (no decks yet so we have two mother in law doors :lol: ) and we plead with Henry to open a door :lol: Luckily we were able to break into our home. Henry just waggled his tail at us, we could tell he was laughing by the silly grin on his face.

UNFORTUNATELY it only took us about 5 minutes to break into our home, which means it would take a thief a similar amount of time, so we have to burglar proof our house...
Thank you Sweatpea
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

well I must admit we were tightly secured, at a time when I wish a latch could just slip! My neighbor invited me in but I didn't want to bring a sick pup in their house ! Then they offered me coffee but I thought no my kidneys might not like the cold and coffee! Then they gave me one of their cell phones to have incase I needed it??? But brain was frozen and couldn't remember off the top of my head everyone's cell numbers!! I was in sad shape! Thank goodness for a dear son who still at 32 yrs old lives close by and loves me and the dog ( mostly the dog Iam sure LOL ) Iam still cold and it's been 4 1/2 hrs I've been warming up,,
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Nancy I'm glad your son was close by and finally answered the call from a strange number (and had a key to your house).
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I felt like I was part of the old Flinstones cartoon when Fred gets locked out of the cave by Dino , only it was my hubby locking me out! LOL. Bella did a great job keeping me warm though I must give her credit!!!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Oh my heaven's to Betsy!!! What a good point! We rarely lock the house (yes, we live in the country-ish) but there have been occasions. I think it's time to get another key made and hide it in the barn. (Dang! now that I told you where I'll have to find a new spot!)

Piff Poff: love you comment about Henry giggling at you. Typical chow-smarty!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Oh wow! Glad you were finally able to get in touch with your son and get back into your house Nancy!

I had my parents make me 4 spare keys. :lol: I have 1 on my car keys and then I have one on each dog's leash (attached to the poop bag holders with small carabiner). :lol: I've been locked out of the house once or twice. :laughloud:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix