Important

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hailey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Important

Post by Hailey »

Okay. Here is the thing my parents/grandma (i live with her) say that she cant handle the responsibility of getting another dog. I try to tell her I will pay for everything the vet bills food toys all that kind of stuff. I am now of the age I can get some type of job. Seeing that i am only fourteen its going to be hard! :shock: I need to prove to her that I am able to take care of another dog and that she will not be the one taking care of it. What can I do to prove it to her? Another issue is, she is worried that she is going to be the one who takes care of her when I am not home. Say I am at school or probably a job. How can I show her she wont have to worry about that? I am in desperate need of a friend! I am going to start high school next year and sadly all my friends are going to a different school. =( I will be on my own next year and will need someone to help me through it. That may not totally possible but my other goal is to get one for my sixteenth birthday in two or one and a half years. I need help on proving to my grandmother that I am responsible enough? I can pull my own weight? I can be dependable on taking care of it even when collage starts? Please help me I am in desperate need of a companion!!! :?:
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Important

Post by Rory's Dad »

Now please dont take this the wrong way, but i think you are trying to prove you can swim in the deep end of the pool. It seems you have decided a Chow is right for you, and that is great. But again, if you are trying to prove yourself from ground level, this is a tough one.

Financially, Chows (or any dog, but moreso with a Chow) can be a big burden. 1st off, Chow puppies dont usually come at a cheap price. Those that do are so for a reason, and likely will have medical or behavior issues fairly soon. Normal vet visits for shots and general health could run several hundred dollars a year (after the cost of purchasing a pup). Chows MUST be well socialized, and in most cases that means puppy classes. He has to be groomed frequently. At the very least, several brushes, combs, and nail implements. If you dont have time, add the cost of a professional groomer once a month. Food? Chows do not tolerate entry level, cheap food. You will need to purchase high quality food.

If your goal is to have a Chow companion in the future, begin a bit smaller. Visit the local shelters, maybe do a foster placement and show how responsible you can be with the day to day stuff. Volunteer at the pet store (intern). Not sure how many actual jobs you could obtain at your age. Look into the local dog shows so you can interact with the dogs and persons. My handler has a junior that assists her with grooming, walking, and hand-offs. This will give you the opportunity to build some relationships with the dogs and the people that love them.

Another thing, if there are other dogs in the house, you need to think about how a Chow would get along. They can be very territorial with both the home and their people. It takes a great amount of work and training to make sure the household is safe for everyone. Chows will decide who their owner is based on time spent with them, training efforts, and the alpha order. If you were away for any extended periods of time or not available for your Chow, he may decide that he is someone elses dog.

Probably not the response you are looking for, but it is part of proving your responsibility. If you are close enough, i would invite you to visit with us and Rory. See the day to day happenings, etc. Proving yourself seems to be the priority. Maybe start with the pets that are already in the house.
Hailey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hailey »

Dont take this to affence rorys dad. But I am a chow owner I love the breed they are amazing beautiful dogs. I have lived with one ever since I was born litterally. I recently lost both of them. A sad day indeed. My other dog is a smaller breed but has never been teritorial and would welcome a new commer. I had two chows who have fought before and territorialI know how to deel with it. It shouldnt be to much of a problem. I know the types of food to feed them what kind of shampoo how to brush them everything. I have worked with close family friends who own and show chows and I normally will help I know how to take care of them. I do have money on stand by for this I have been saving my whole life for things wanted or needed kinda like a trust found I suppose. But I am experiance and ready for another thanks for the response.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Umm, your grandmother, whom you live with, doesn't want another dog. You are a child and should respect her concern. If you want to prove it to her, sounds to me like you need to be extremely responsible for the current dog, (the non-chow) with the understanding that you may not be able to prove it to her.

Often times when people get older they want peace and quiet in their lives. She just may not have the tolerance any more for any more pets. This is her right, it's her house.

It doesn't sound fair, but then life isn't fair. You are learning an important lesson; we can't always have what we want when we want it, sometimes we have to learn to wait. In the meantime, help the people who show chows and enjoy learning more about them.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Hailey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hailey »

Well I do want to thank you for your reply. I still disagree with you a little bit but you are right. I know for my grandma she will never have peace and quiet around our home. I do continue dog showing will friends but thier chow has become ill and may not be around much longer :( I know it may not sound fair but I know it is look I may not always agree but I do understand I get it when someone says no and I stop. This is one of those cases where she has said that maybe when your older. So that is her answer I know its not a direct yes or no but I still try every once in a while. I do try my best with the dog we have now but she isnt my dog and is not around me. I have tried takinh over but without luck she didnt budge which I get. Once they set their owners its usually set. Thanks for the repy I may sound like a child who is just making excuses but I asure you I am listening and trying to get my bull headed mind to understand. Thanks for the reply its not what I expected but it works. Lol. Hope to chat with you on another forum!! :D
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I certainly appreciate your resolve. If you were the primary caregiver for your previous dogs, i would be interested in employing you to tutor my 16 year old daughter.

I know you will continue to disagree with our posts, but really we have provided advice intent of ensuring success to both yourself and a potential Chow pup.
Hailey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hailey »

Yea I do realize that. The only reason why I am not the primary caregiver for the dog we have know is that when I was seven I thought I could handle it amd I got her a week before school started. So I had no time to earn a relationship withbher and I was not ready. I hope I will get one in the near future but I most likely wont. I was acually the care giver for one of my chow I would be home all day everyday and got a really close bond with her and I took care of her. We really were the perfect match for eachother. Haha im I love with a dog. (How special)
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I just love a Healthy and Heated discussion!! Woo hoo!! Let me chime in with this ... because for those of you who know me know I can't resist adding my two cents:

When our Kimba passed .. no wait, it is too soon, let me go back ... When I was a young girl I had the privilege to have animals in my life. Dogs, pigs, ducks, chickens, cats, etc. When I got out on my own, that all stopped because I was moving quite a bit for my career and it was difficult to find apartments that would take dogs. When my job was traveling 24/7/365 I had to put that dream aside. But the desire was there, ever burning and churning in the pit of my stomach. Enter my husband. He had two dogs and they both adopted me when we got married; however, soon after which we lost Rocky.
pets.jpg
pets.jpg (65.27 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
So when Kimba passed I had the chance to start out afresh with puppies who would "love" me (you'll have to read other posts of mine to understand what I mean by that ... too much to go into now). Since Joe had lost his two best friends, it was very difficult for him to open his heart right away. Again, I would have to wait. When I was single it was difficult enough but this time I waited because I loved my husband more. Nevertheless, my heart ached for a chow-love.

But what joy was mine when he said he was ready and even more so when the breeder said she had two boys from the same litter. And the waiting was worth it. I was NOT, however, prepared for the initial expense after we got our boys, especially since everything was doubled. We made a lot of sacrifices.

I LOVE what Rory's Dad suggests ... there are so many ways to show you are responsible and so many shelters out there who need "free" help. Who knows, you might find this your vocation if you can work up from internship/apprentice to part time to full time ... the sky's the limit! You may find your drive for a new pet leading you into veterinary medicine, and helping at a shelter would certainly provide a solid foundation for your future success.

That's one of the many things I love about this forum. With the exception of maybe one responder, EVERYONE here wants your best and the best for your chowdren. Positive and practical advice. What you choose to take from what is said is up to you but never let it be said that anybody holds back. When you're a chow lover, you're passionate about the breed and its' future success. ((I'm sure it's the same way with other breeds, but I'm chow-sighted.))
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Hailey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hailey »

Yes Cherriemater I have seen your two chows Leo and max they have such great personality almost a=hard for me to believe they are from the same litter because max looks so calm and Leo is so rambunctiousness it is so cute. I agree with you that everyone does look out for each other we are like one big family. I get that I am still young but let me tell you I look and act about four to five years older than what I am. I am responsible I just want to prove it to my parents so they feel that they aren't doing everything. I love animals! I always have. They bring me peace and a smile on my face when I need it most.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hailey, if you were my granddaughter, and your grandmother said "NO" to a dog, we would both be in trouble for trying to bring a dog into the house. We actually need some input from Jess. For now, I would suggest that you volunteer at the local animal shelter. That would allow you to associate with animals, and show your level of responsibility. There are a few things you need to consider. A dog is a lifetime commitment. A chow will live about 10-12 years. Right now you are 14. You have 4 years of high school. Will you be able to care for and socialize a chow during this time? Currently, the economy sux. I don't see any major improvement in the next 4 years. Pets do cost money. After high school, are you planning to take a minimum wage job, which is really the only thing available in this economy, or will you decide for 4 years of college. Can you take a dog to college? I am assuming you are here in the States. Getting an apartment with a pet can be a challenge, especially if can't afford to post additional deposit. Make that pet a chow, and it becomes even more difficult. There are lots of things that you will have to consider.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Ursa's daddy wrote:Hailey, if you were my granddaughter, and your grandmother said "NO" to a dog, we would both be in trouble for trying to bring a dog into the house. We actually need some input from Jess.
:lol: George you're funny! :laughloud:

I'm gonna be honest, I totally know where you're coming from! I got my chow girl Tippsy (who passed away a year and a half ago) when I was in the 4th grade. Our family had 2 dogs already (my mom's poodle and my pomeranian) when my dad brought her home (originally for my mom, but we had a connection that my mom just couldn't overcome). I was in love with that girl! For the next 4 years, I rushed home to feed her, play with her and walk her. She was my best friend. But I'm gonna be honest, when I started high school (moved 30 miles from where I'd grown up) and had to make new friends (NONE of my friends were out here) I actually began to slack on my care of Tippsy, which is gut wrenching to me now... I was so naive that I wanted to spend more time with people from school (who now, 7 years later, I don't speak to at all anymore) that I forgot the most important thing to me. The mountains of homework I was assigned daily didn't help either. When I had to move schools again the following year (redistricting when the new school opened), I had rekindled my bond with Tippsy (and actually joined this site!) but again, I found it difficult to spend as much time as I truly wanted with her because of the mountains of homework (7 teachers don't care how much homework you end up with at the end of the day). That year though, (for whatever reason) I began begging for another chow. And my parents kept saying "no"... For the next 2 years, I begged for another chow (even though we had Tippsy and my mom's chihuahua and yorkie)... And then, on New Year's Eve 2008 my brother found Jasper; cold, wet, muddy, hungry, and nothing but fluff and bones; in the middle of the road when he was walking with his friends and he brought him home (only asking my mom :lol:). Needless to say I was head over heels in love with the little fluffball, but my dad got angry and started saying he was going to get rid of him... And me being a smart mouthed 17 y/o at the time told him I'd "kill him" and needless to say, he hasn't even tried it in the almost 4 years we've had him (he really loves him, not gonna lie). Jasper and Tippsy really were my life, but also interfered with my school (homework).... After I finally graduated (had to take an extra year and summer school to do it), a friend of mine adopted Dixie from the local kill shelter (she was labelled a chow/shepherd mix, which I'm gonna be honest, seems pretty accurate :lol: ), and 2 weeks later (after Dixie nipped her daughter and drew blood; those puppy teeth a SHARP!) she decided she was gonna take her back to the pound but I just couldn't let that happen.... #-o I begged her to wait and she agreed, so I called my mom (I was staying with this friend as a live in nanny) and begged her. At first she said "no" (we had 4 dogs) but over the course of a week (of crying and begging to at least take her until we could find her another home :wink: ) I finally got her to come meet Dixie (at the time she was "Chessie" :wall: ) and she agreed to let me take her to find her a new home. Well, a month and a half of asking around and no one wanted a chow mix, and my mom finally realized that Dixie had picked me (we've always been inseparable) so she agreed to keep her. Unfortunately, we kept her a secret from my dad for 2 and a half years (I still have no clue how he didn't find out about her), until I was FINALLY able to get a job (the economy SUCKS! #-o 21 years old and out of a job SUCKS....) and she was allowed to come out of hiding. When my dad asked, I flat out told him "I'm paying for everything (food, vet, etc.) and you don't have to do ANYTHING with her so you can get over it. She's here to stay." Unfortunately, after a month at they job they didn't need me, and after a couple months, my dad was riding my butt to get rid of her so back into hiding she went and is still there... 7 months, and 3 interviews later I still haven't found a new job....

ANYWAYS... Sorry, was rambling apparently.... But what I'm trying to say is, from my personal experience, wait. When you're going into high school is NOT a good time to get a dog (chow). I've seen too many dogs given away by kids who got them when they were in high school and then when they're going off to college and find out they can't have the dog in their dorm or can't find/afford an apartment that will allow their dog. I KNOW it sucks, but wait until you're out of school and have a steady job (juggling school AND a job with having a dog is HARD!) before you get a dog (chow). It'll be better for you and the dog (chow) in the long run.

And fyi, I have no social life outside of stuff I can do with my dogs (thank God my friends love dogs as much as I do and don't care if I bring 1 or all of them over with me). :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Well said, Jess. My heart goes out to you now knowing what a rough run you've had (I've always suspected but never knew the details). It's a credit to you and all the work you've done to keep your pack together. It's no wonder because they give you the unconditional love and affection that you deserve. When I'm down in the dumps, I hug my chows. They seem to know it, too, and they stay close. Wish I was closed to give you a hug myself!!! {\o/}
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Honestly, I have to agree with Jess. I had my lab adopted at age 6 from the time I was 10 till my senior year of high school when everything got complicated. I was just like Jess, when I first adopted her I rushed home from school each day and we would go on "adventures" together, I would play with her, read my books to her, and take a billion pictures of and with her. It helped that my friend was a dog lover at the time so we spent a lot of time with Coco. When I became a teenager, other stuff got in the way. Extracurriculars, friends, homework, and living in a new house my parents didn't want her inside (when we lived at my grandmother's Coco lived in the basement most of the time or outside) so not having outside access to the basement...she stayed in the garage. And I regretably only spent enough time with her to feed her and let her out. Occasionally I would walk her, but that was short trips because until she really got old and slowed down, I couldn't get that dog to do anything but yank me every which way. I also had gotten a puppy when she was about 12, a husky lab mix from my uncle whose dog had an oops batch of puppies. Dakota was awesome, adorable, and a bundle of trouble. I spent all summer trying to raise him and play with him...but no matter what you couldn't wear the dog out. He would get bored and destroy everything. So he was kenneled most of the time...and it was my fault for not making time and taking the responsibilty more seriously. My mother took him away my senior year after she'd had enough of him tearing into things because I had wanted to let him have more freedom since I had moved and became enchanted with my dogs again. About that time, my 13/14 year old lab got loose and got lost...we thankfully found her a week later, a nice couple had found her and kept her till they could find us.
I seem to have ranted too...
The point is, while the intentions are good...you can't make promises at that age to another living being because things get out of your control too quickly. Coco had to be put down my freshman or sophomore year of college. I didn't find out till a year later. She had stayed with my mom, who I didn't speak to at the time...very long story(we tried communication again a few months before my wedding, and that flopped too. My parents are divorced, I ended up at my grandmother's again fixed things with my dad, and my brother with my mother who has no contact with my father by choice...so it's a little messy but much more tolerable than the alternative. We're all moving on). Stuff happens. Teenage years and college years are complicated and busy. It's just not fair to a dog to wait for you to have time for him again. Volunteer, get your puppy fill by going to pet stores or shelters, or sign up to be a pet sitter to make some money and get to hang out with dogs.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

cherriemater wrote:Well said, Jess. My heart goes out to you now knowing what a rough run you've had (I've always suspected but never knew the details). It's a credit to you and all the work you've done to keep your pack together. It's no wonder because they give you the unconditional love and affection that you deserve. When I'm down in the dumps, I hug my chows. They seem to know it, too, and they stay close. Wish I was closed to give you a hug myself!!! {\o/}
Thanks Marti. :) That's really not even HALF of the struggles I went through throughout my teens, but it all made me a better person. And I've always had my dogs to snuggle and talk to when I needed someone. :) And I'd do anything and everything for them. :) :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix