Silly Question

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow4me
Rank 0
Rank 0

Silly Question

Post by chow4me »

Hi!

Im a single female, and I want to get a male chow chow. Are there any females on this site that have done well raising a male chow chow on their own??
I know its a silly thought, but i'm not sure if the male will feel a need to protect me more (I am a short 5 feet 1"), and turn into the "alpha" if it is just me and him in the house. I know that training and taking care of his needs has alot to do with how dogs see who the alpha is. However, Im still curious about this.

I welcome your stories! Thanks!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Silly Question

Post by Fozzbear »

I'm a single girl and I manage just fine with a male and female chow. The only thing I find is that boys are bigger and more boisterous - if you have to give them time out in another room, after a few months you cant just pick them up (like I used to do with my female when she was pushing the boundaries as a baby). I have had to wrestle Humphrey into the garden to calm down (him not me) on occassions - though now I just tell him to sit down for a firm 'no' and he does it. Regardless of chow gender, I think firmness and consistency is the key - Humphrey gets nothing without sitting and waiting first. He protects me but isnt the alpha at all.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I'm not single but have two male chow chows. My husband works second shift, so I am alone with them the rest of the day and most of the night. It's all in training. I don't allow them to "man-handle" me and they don't attempt to do so. They have NEVER mounted me, but did go through that phase with one another. When Max gets a bit too excited, he will mount Leo, but a swift heavy CLAP CLAP MAX! and he gets down right away. Like Fozz says, it's all in consistency. Before I got the boys I read quite a few times, "Don't allow a chow-puppy to do anything you wouldn't want an adult-chow to do." This has been a crucial part of their training.

Don't get me started on walking, though. Chows are FULL of muscles and this is the only trouble I have, although I have been trying to work it out with them. When I have just one, it's easy to get them to slow down ... but together and with the deer out right now (it's rifle season in Michigan so there are LOTS of deer in town) they just about pull my arms loose.

Male or female, YOU must be a firm and loving and consistent Alpha. That's your job. When your chow chow is confident in your leadership, it will be no problem for them to follow your lead, to look to you for direction and comfort, and to guide/support/protect you to the necessary extent without being aggressive. A well-socialized chow chow will also help to recognize you as the Alpha. Best of luck in your decision! Great question you asked there.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
chow4me
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow4me »

Thank you both for your responses! They sure have helped a lot!

Cherriemater, you have brought up a point that has raised another thought in my mind, and it is about mounting. I think its great that you dont allow your lovely boys to mount. My question is, is it a natural instinct even when a male is neutered? Do your boys get frustrated at all when you tell them not to mount? When I was younger my family had a mixed breed (lhasa apso) who would mount quite frequently even though he was neutered. We would tell him to stop by clapping and say "no" as well, but whenever we would do so, he would end up barking at us alot. Since I was a child, I wasnt quite sure what he wanted. Maybe I should research this more, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much again!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

To answer your first question, I'm a single female living at home with my parents, my brother, and his girlfriend. I have a male chow mix, a female chow mix, and a male Pomeranian and have no problems with my males challenging me as their "alpha". And in all honesty, my female is WAY more protective of me than my boys.

As for your second question, all males (weather their neutered or not) can get the urge to mount. I taught Jasper it was unacceptable behavior when he was a puppy and he hasn't done it since (and he's still intact). I'm working on breaking my pom of this now because he tries every now and then.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Since i am not a female, i will only sort of skip your 1st question...your Chow mostly wouldnt care whether you are male or female. The only issue you might experience would be with voice tone or the strength to control the walk. Minor issues. If you are assertive and consistent (think of the mom who says no, but then gives in after a certain amount of whining with a human child), it wont matter. You determine alpha with consistent rules and follow through, and with providing food and shelter.

As for mounting, Tippsy is correct. All males will have that instinct. Having them neutered will help, but it varies with each dog and when its done. Some vets recommend waiting until a certain age, and the habit can already be established at that point. There are some different dynamics that go on, and in some dogs it can become just that, a habit. Once neutered, there isnt so much a biological reason, or urge, but its about learned behavior and instinct.

That being said, my dog is completely intact. He is 15 months old and has never attempted to mount anything other than another dog, and that was in group puppy classes. Rory does AKC Shows and has never bothered another dog in those situations. He also has never embarrassed himself with a human guest...
chow4me
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow4me »

Thank you all so much for your advice! I feel much more comfortable moving forward. Its great to know that there is such a friendly community of chow adoreres that I can turn to for help!
:)
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

So glad to hear that Rory's Dad!! I was initially embarrassed by the amount of mounting the boys exhibited at first, but I was as consistent as I could be (sometimes I was not watching them in the playpen) and I think because I was one of the Alphas, it was no problem for them to listen. To chow4me's concern, No, they do not get frustrated because they trust me. I NEVER hit them (although I have moved them off one another as pups) but used a loud CLAP or SLAPPED wood or something near by. George (Ursa and Malachi's Dad) taught me that. While pups, I HIGHLY recommend walking around with a newspaper or other LOUD instrument. Smack it down on the ground or table nearby to distract from the wrong behavior but then IMMEDIATELY give them the RIGHT behavior with lots and lots of praise. This works WONDERS for making my boys confident happy adolescent boys. I have to say, I have not had the stubborn teenagers I thought I would have and I give all the credit to consistency and the advice I received from the friends I made here.

Keep those questions coming. The only silly or stupid question is the one that is not asked! :D
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

Welcome, members of this forum will provide wonderful support and guidance through experience. cherrimaster and rorys dad have given you great replies.You have Very good questions prior to your lifetime commitment . Puppyhood is the most crucial time in establishing your household wether you choose male or female animals. We have repeated the same initial training for all of our furry family members past and present. First day introductions (welcome), acclimation, freedom to investigate while monitored(finding boundaries with gentle guidance ) starting a routine ( feeding, potty, PRAiSE for positive behavior, I can not stress this enough). Second day all of the above and start a handling and grooming routine. Start using all commands ( wait, sit, down, ect. your verbal commands) Third day (our experience has been a more open true character emerging at this point) all of the above and introduction to time out area (only use this for unwanted behavior and a short amount of time, we praise for going to time out. For instance "Bella time out good girl" stress time out in your voice). All of our furry family members know this command and will head that direction and plop down, occasionally Ms Bella will peer around a corner and look innocent prior to heading to time out. We use the command "Right Now" when their is hesitation in listening. Pups usually test all of the above and in some cases we introduce shaking a tin can with approximately 15 pennies in it ( this sound accompanied with a command has deterred unwanted. Behavior). Third day we start pups walking around on their own (monitored) with a short leash on for about 30 min intervals,depending on the amount of time you have, we try to do this twice at least. Fourth day all of the above and we introduce holding the leash and walking beside ( be patient, teach walking commands). Fifth day and from this day forward interaction and repetition with this foundation you have created. Good luck on a Happy long life with your furry companion.
Bella & Balou
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have a male and a female chow. Ursa, my female, loves my wife and will follow commands for her. (except for staying out of the kitchen, Ursa wants to help her mother clean up should she drop anything) Malachi, my male has selective hearing, and cannot hear my wife. It is as much a game as anything. He knows what annoys her and can deliver. As Marti said, it is all with training. You have to understand that stubborn streak they have and not let it frustrate you. You have to follow through with training and remember that nothing is life is free. It may take a while, but I have dogs SIT and WAIT when it comes to doors. The door knob gets a workout if they don't stay planted on the floor. My wife loses patience and opens the door, and Malachi will just bowl her over.