I need to know

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

LuvrOfChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

I need to know

Post by LuvrOfChows »

Well I love chows. I always have the urge to get another! But I need a little help. Unfortunately I am still in school and am gone most of the day. I was planning to get one in the summer when school is out on break.
I need to know:
How do I work a chow into my school scheduled? There is someone here all day.
Do any of you have a close relationship with your chowling even when your gone to school or work?

I don't want my dog to get to attached to my grandmother (I live with her and she is at home all day) and not with me! We have another dog a welsh corgi who this happened to. She isn't around me anymore. She spend all her time with my grandmother. My dog I have now is a little small for my taste. I love the chow they are perfect size and their personas match mine almost perfect. They are stubborn so am I, They wont give up on what they want same as me, They are protective of their family my favorite thing about them but also the most dangerous. I love them to bits and pieces. Please help me find a way to stay attached to my dog during the school year?!!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I need to know

Post by Pinoy51 »

No problem with being away to school and work and still be the one your Chow will go to.
It is the right thing to do, to get your Chow when you can spend time with him initially. You need to be the one who will get him and introduce him to the new home. Very important you will feed him all the time, bring him for potty training, groom and last but not least discipline him. In this way you will become his pack leader. It is very normal for pack leaders to be away for a while, for him you're hunting for you you're at school :-). Once you come back from school feed him, be calm don't make a big fuzz, alphas don't jump and bark. Spend time for grooming, play and discipline before and after school. Then someone can take care while you're away and you will still be the number one. Very important the care-taker should not introduce new rules or overrule existing he or she needs to continue what you started and that's it. Otherwise the two of you will "compete" for the alpha position and Chowling can choose between the two of you. After a couple of months with you and strict rules, things will have become natural and the rules can relax. My care-taker is feeding my two now, still I'm the "go-to"-guy and the one they hang out with once I'm at home.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I never had a problem with my dogs bonding to me when I was in school. I got Tippsy (and my pom, Dusty) when I was in the (3rd) 4th grade and my mom was always home at that time but those dogs were attached at my hip when I got home. :lol: I later got Jasper when I was in 12th grade. I was home with him a solid week before I had to return to school, I'd been out for Christmas/New Years break. He was left home alone with Tippsy from 7:30 AM to 4:30-5:00 PM and he's bonded to me. He loves my mom and everyone else, but he is obviously bonded to me (as are my other 2 dogs).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

When we got Leo and Max, I was home with them 24/7 during their first six months, and then I got a job and was away a bit. The boys had already established to whom they would connect, Leo to my hubby and Max to me. Depending on who was home, that's where they were ... unless they were being their typical aloof selves and were off alone somewhere, or sitting at the sliding glass door watching the neighborhood.

Pinoy51 makes some very good remarks. As long as you establish that you are the Alpha you should have no problem. Especially because at night when they hear you breathe and smell your smell you are reinforcing their bond to you.

I'm very proud of you for asking theses questions. It's shows you'll be a good parent for thinking these things through ahead of time. Well done!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

Kudos for asking questions prior to any lifetime commitment! Yes, LIFETIME COMMITMENT. Chows are a wonderful breed and a true gift in ones life to share. Absence is always difficult as with a child but is adaptable.As the primary companion you are responsible for trust, nutrition, love, exercise, grooming, general well being and let us not forget constructive discipline or training. This fosters a bond that is strengthened with time and in your absence will not waiver. I can attest to this. You providing ALL of these vital needs will not be replaced with the amount of time someone else spends with your loved one. Example: You spending eight hours with teachers and friends does not equal the bond you have fostered with your Grandmother. Animals as humans know basically who has your best interest or needs fulfilled. I do need to comment on your idea of a chow being dangerous? I am sorry,this is not a true statement and you have been misinformed. Chows by nature,I should say, in my experience have proven to be nothing more dangerous than you or I. In my opinion, animals or people are only as dangerous as the situation demands or as trained or unfortunately a mental illness or trauma that has occurred. Honestly, many undomesticated animals are labeled dangerous but in actuality it is in reference to being put in an unfamiliar or unwanted situations. This is why companionship with domestic animals still underlines socialization is of utmost importance. I suggest you continue asking questions and examine pros and cons as far as timing for a new addition and you will be extremely pleased when you find the perfect time to have a wonderful Chow companion. I look forward to your adventure!
Bella & Balou