Getting a Second Dog

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

senseiht
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting a Second Dog

Post by senseiht »

I have a beautiful, healthy 14 year old Chow/Golden mix named Sempai. He is very good with other dogs and I have "babysat" my friends dogs for weeks at a time over the years. He played with them when he was young, but now I would say he coexists or tolerates them, but does not interact much. I've never had a second permanent dog with him. He's always been an "only child." In the dog run his behavior with other dogs is the same - he sniffs, occasionally plays, but mostly just ignores other dogs. He is very "alpha" and other dogs usually recognize his superiority right away. People in the run refer to him as "the King."

I saw a post today from a Chow rescue organization for a 2 year old female Chow in a "kill" shelter. I would actually consider getting a second dog (a) because Sempai, despite his great health, is 14 and won't live forever (though of that I am not certain) and (b) I've heard that getting a young dog sometimes rejuvinates and helps older dogs live longer. At the same time, I don't want to do anything that would make Sempai feel he is being replaced, or loved less, or unhappy in his own house. My primary concern is for his happiness and well being.

Can you enlighten me as to the psychology of bringing a new dog into a one-chow household?

Thanks.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Getting a Second Dog

Post by Fozzbear »

I think that it is fairly simple with young dogs but may be a little unsettling for an older chow.
I suspect that much will depend on the personality of the new girl. It is fortunate that she is female, as I think that a male/female combination is the best.
I would take Sempai to meet his potential new sister and see how they get on - whether she is shy, dominant etc etc.
I think that if she recognises Sempai as the alpha and doesn't want to play with him all the time then he should adjust well - the staff at the shelter should be able to advise you on introducing her to the home (as well as others here no doubt).
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Somebody told me that this "rejuvenation" is actually just the old dog trying to keep up and not get left behind. :-( Sounded very logical to me. If I were you, I would wait till one faraway day Sempai is no more. But then again I don't live anywhere where they have kill shelters. :-( From the way you describe Sempai, it sounds like you think that him and another dog wouldn't be the greatest fit in the world, that he is very happy as the king of the household. A new dog might have different ideas about who should be king of the household, and poor Sempai would have to try to defend his position, in his old age. I'm not sure that would be fair.
There are always going to be Chows in need, even way into the future when Sempai might be forced to leave you. I would say, leave him in peace, if he's never been a big fan of other dogs, he doesn't need the hassle now that he is old, but that is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who feel differently.
Any chance he can go and meet the young Chow lady? Is she far away from you?
senseiht
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by senseiht »

I wouldn't think of introducing a new dog to the house without them first meeting Sempai and obtaining his "approval." We are in Hoboken NJ and Sempai's new sibling is in NY, so distance is not the issue.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

First; the male/female dynamic is perfect, he can still remain the alpha and have a companion. Second; she is two so not a little puppy and has probably settled down a bit herself. And thirdly unless you are somehow able to be with him 24/7 he will most likely enjoy the companionship.

I woudl however, have them meet on neutral ground at first, to see how they get along. Mutual indifference might be the best you see at this point. When I first got Firesong, my Darkwind who was only four, basically ignored her, but they were soon best friends.

Frankly my opinion is unless their human can be with them 24/7 365 all canines need a canine companion. There is also nothing wrong with motivating an older dog to move more, it is helpful to joints and to maintain muscles. Other than that they have a tendency to lay around and both these things deterioate. Don't forget that the heart is a muscle too and giving it a bit of a workout on occasion is good for canines, felines and humans.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not sure my story would qualify as a recommendation or advice, its just simply what we have experienced...

Way back in the day, 16 years ago, we got our 1st Chow as a gift for our 5 year old son. We knew nothing of the Chow way, and fell into the 'cutest puppy' syndrome. He was a great dog, but sorta aloof, typical Chow. Not so playful, not into toys or human tricks for treats. Kodi was however extremely loyal and protective.

Having set the standard, we decided it would be a good idea to gift our daughter with a Chow when she turned 5 as well. Just so happened we were fated into finding Teddee. Again, cutest puppy sydrome set in, and without much thought, brought him into the household. I would say he was middle of the road when it came to personality, some play in him after puppyhood, but still a fairly 'serious minded' dog.

8 years apart in age, and both intact males. I would say they tolerated each other for the most part. Mild arguments at times, but no food agressions or anxiety over attention. They both seemed to know who's dog they really were. That being said, they were both on the larger side and laid in doorways or hallways at all times. Lots of Chow to be stepping over and around.

Kodi was the alpha for many years. He lived to be 12 years before his bones and joints gave out and he just couldnt get comfy anymore. We did see a changing of the guard over those years as he weakened a bit and Teddee took the lead. It all seemed to be sort of natural though. Kodi wanted more space, became a bit stand offish. Teddee was more protective of the family, mostly respected the space issue, and looked out for his older friend most times. Old age grumpiness did surface at times.

We could see a change in Teddee after Kodi was gone. You could tell he missed him.

Our latest pup is Rory. At 14 months now, he is absolutely awesome. We have wanted to get a 2nd, because we know it can work (even with 2 males, but i think the age difference actually helped that work). But he is so much sweeter and people attached than our others. We worry that he would feel replaced or abandoned.

I have worked through a practical novel here, and as i think back on my experiences i think i would offer the advice i have given myself. Put the dogs together for a period of time and judge on their reactions to each other.

Rescue dogs can offer unique opportunities and challenges both. You may find a dog that is ready to be welcomed into a stable, caring environment or one that is gun shy with the Chow long memory of what went wrong. Sempai may actually help to determine which.

Two male
senseiht
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by senseiht »

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Victory - my wife an I are realtors and we work from home, so with the exception of going to out for an evening, Sempai is rarely home alone.
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Matilda's an only "child" and I work 15 hours a week. She's happy, content and a wonderful girl. I couldn't ask for a better girl.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I'll add my two cents here but first ... excellent dialog, Rory's Dad!

When Kimba was still with us, we desired another pup so she could "teach" all her wonderful traits. Our breeder turned out to be a jerk and she passed before that could happen. When we decided to get another chow-baby, we knew we wanted two and decided (through much help from this site and my friends here) to get brothers from the same litter. BEST thing we could have done. I was home with them every day during their first six months and we did everything we could to socialize them. They seem to be very well-adjusted boys and are so delightful. I'm glad we got two when we got them.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)