I wish some people would just mind their own business...

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

I wish some people would just mind their own business...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Today my mom and I were at the store buying groceries, and of course had to pick up a bag of food for Dixie, Todd, Max, and Li'l Bit and a bag of puppy chow for Snooki. Well, we were down the isle that had all the dog foods and I was putting the bags in the buggy when this woman goes off on us. She was practically screaming in the middle of the store! "Why would you feed crap like that to your dogs! Don't you know it holds no nutritional value!" Blah... Blah... Blah.... I bit my tongue through most of her crap, but as soon as she said "I bet you keep your dogs chained in the yard and they're probably too skinny"; I lost it! I said "Look woman, you don't know crap about us OR our dogs. They're actually the picture of health and live in the house as part of the family. THIS (I pointed at the bags in the buggy; kibbles 'n bits and puppy chow) happens to be all they'll eat. We've tried numerous types of "good, quality food" and they won't touch it. They'll go days without touching it. I'd rather them eat this than go a day without eating, and one of them gets sick on anything else. So shut your mouth, mind your own business, and think before you speak." She got all huffy and left.

I HATE people who look for the tiniest thing to jump down anyone's throat. I mean, c'mon, I feed Jazz Taste of the Wild because it's what he can be on with his allergies. We tried to switch all the dogs to it, but as I said, they won't touch it; but Jazz loves it. Dixie, Todd, Max, and Li'l Bit all eat Kibbles 'n Bits because it's what they like. They've all repeatedly turned up their noses at other foods (Blue Buffalo, Nutro, Solid Gold, and a few others) so we just went back to what we knew they would eat. Other foods were even making Dixie sick... And Snooki eats puppy chow because that's what she likes too. We've already been trying to change her to adult foods (she's 10-11 months old) and so far nothing she'll eat.

Sorry for the rant, I just wish people would realize that maybe there's a big reason someone's not feeding a "top quality" dog food. In this day and age, people should be happy that people are actually feeding their animals. Too many animals go hungry because of the negligence of their owners who just don't care. The food may not be the best, but it may be what people can afford, what their animals like (like mine), or something else.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I wish some people would just mind their own business...

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Jess, I have considered changing to one of the "top" name foods which you mention, but I don't want to upset Ursa's stomach, so I haven't. I understand where you are coming from. This fall is the first time since I joined the forum that Ursa has a full coat ( well almost, her tail is still thin). I am thinking about changing for Malachi because he scratches and chews on himself, pulling out fur in many places. At this time, neither the vet nor I have figured out why. We have different cat food for the cats because of health issues. Most of the people I know will eat cheaper food so that they can afford better food for their pets.

Some people you just have to ignore.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Good rant Jess! Loved it! =D=
Seriously though, you had your say to the woman - she had no business going at you.
Stupid bag!
You told her though! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

George, I totally understand wanting to switch foods. My mom was always saying we didn't have the money to switch until she finally went to the vet with me one time that I took Jazz and heard the vet say he has food allergies that cause his ear infections. That's when she put it together that it's better to pay more for food so he doesn't get sick, than pay a bunch of vet bills to fix his repeated ear infections. And we have the money to feed all 6 TOTW, but Jazz is literally the only one who will touch it. :? The good thing is though, that none of the other dogs get hot spots or have the food allergies Jazz does. So, I figure as long as they're happy, I'm happy.

Thanks Judy. I wanted to ignore that woman.... I didn't wanna "show out" in front of my mom, but she down right offended me AND was blocking our way out of the isle.... The whole thing just made me mad...
Jess
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Maintaining a pet's health is what it is all about. If I knew what to do to make Malachi stop scratching, I would do it. Steroid shots are NOT the answer. Ace (Maine coon cat) gets a special diet because of kidney stones. Believe me, food is cheaper than vet visits. We feed Iams, because it doesn't upset Ursa's stomach. One food gave her gas, and you don't want a dog with gas. I may change Malachi's food to see if he will stop scratching. Neither the vet nor I can see anything that is causing him to scratch.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Definitly all about keeping them healthy. I'll do anything to make sure they're healthy. It just doesn't make it easy when they're picky. :lol:
Jess
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Ursa's daddy wrote:Maintaining a pet's health is what it is all about. If I knew what to do to make Malachi stop scratching, I would do it. Steroid shots are NOT the answer. Ace (Maine coon cat) gets a special diet because of kidney stones. Believe me, food is cheaper than vet visits. We feed Iams, because it doesn't upset Ursa's stomach. One food gave her gas, and you don't want a dog with gas. I may change Malachi's food to see if he will stop scratching. Neither the vet nor I can see anything that is causing him to scratch.

We had a cat that was like Malachi the vet put her on Vension food...yeah i know deer meat...it did help...tho
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Ursa's dad, Cassie had a bald spot in her back a few months ago when I ran out of her usual dog food (Holistic Recipe Lamb), the shop closed in Manila and I cannot fly that food anymore because i dont know any vendor in manila. It is not available in my island province so I bought Purina = but it gave Cassie an itch and a bald spot after a couple of weeks of no Holistic recipe. So I bought her a few kilos of ALpo, and it did fine, her balding spots didn't continue and now is healthy. But I would buy Holistic if it is available locally. I am still saving up as Holistic cost will add up 80% due to freight charges. The local pet stores doesnt order it because they need to order it in bulk. Say 20bags of 15kg each. Yes it is the compatibility , first. and Cost, second.
chow315

Post by chow315 »

what is TOTW? i really agree about the best for each dog. ours just started on blue buffalo basics turkey for sensitivity $60 for a 24 lb bag
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Taste of the Wild. Jasper was on the wetlands formula for over a year without a problem. Then they started adding chicken into it and his allergies flared up, so we switched him to the Sierra Mountain formula and he's rout as rain on it.

We pay $50 for a 30 lbs bag.
Jess
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I don't get why people feel they are so much better that it gives them the right to lecture a total stranger. Usually that's the sort of crap you see online where they have a nice box to hide behind, but wow...that took nerve. Point being, it's none of their business and when you get down to it...there is only ONE way to feed a dog wrong and that is to NOT feed them. Period. End of discussion.

I realize the topic has switched a bit off it...but I just felt the need, people like that drive you mad. lol