new member with newly adopted chow

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

stureid92
Rank 0
Rank 0

new member with newly adopted chow

Post by stureid92 »

Hello, I'm Stuart from Dundee, Scotland and recently adopted a 1 year old blue female chow called mi-chu as her owner was to old to give her the walks and care she deserves,
She may need entropion surgery on her right eye depending on what he vet says on friday have only had her 6 days so shes still settling in so not looking forward to this as we were giving eye drops and its really a struggle to get them in but that's no surprise lol.

heres a picture of her :D
Attachments
644099_10151335672169319_689832656_n.jpg
644099_10151335672169319_689832656_n.jpg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 4731 times
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: new member with newly adopted chow

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I am glad you adopted a chow who needed a loving home. Explain to her about the eye drops. I know that she won't understand a word, but she will understand the emotional message that you send as you explain. Good luck with her eyes.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Well she looks lovely and very happy (and comfy) in her new home. I hope you have many happy times together.
My chow screws her eyes up when it is time for eye-drops - it is a pain in the neck! Her eyes are much better after her surgery though and she doesnt need them often. She has got used to it and just 'humpfs' a lot when we prise them open (gently of course)!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mi-chu looks right at home, congrats on the new family member.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Congrats! She looks like she's been with you for ages, all comfy on the bed and everything. You can tell that the old man was good to her and she has no trauma whatsoever. It's now four-and-a-half years ago that I adopted an adult Chow with entropion myself. The operation wasn't a priority for us though, since he had major psychological issues, so we waited quite a while till he could have it done. Wearing the cone for 12 days wasn't fun, but we got through it. How severe is her entropion? If it's not so bad, maybe you can lay off the eyedrops till she has settled in completely. What I did with Loo was give him treats and excessive, shrill-ish praise after every time I put his eyedrops in. Chows are smart, she will realise that things go smoother and faster if she co-operates, especially if there's also something in it for her.
Sorry for the broken English, it's been a really long day.

Edit: forgot to say that she is really beautiful and I would love to see "blue" pictures of her! :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Bless her! She does look happy. :D
As Ursa's Daddy says, talk to her about the eye drops. I talk to my Matilda and Maisie about everything and now they know lots of words and I am sure they understand a lot more than you think. She will pick up the intonation of your voice . Tell her what you are going to do and why. :)
Good luck at the vet.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
stureid92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stureid92 »

Thanks for all the reply's, been a great help.

Her entropion is not serious at all in fact it seems to have cleared up with the little eye drops we did manage to get in her eye haha.
After reading some things on this forum I begin to wonder if it is actually entropion or if her eye was just irritated as it seems to have cleared up a good bit so will see what the vet says tomorrow, hopefully all goes well as id rather she fully trusted us before we had anything like that done and il try get some more pictures up of her it says shes blue on the kc papers but she seems more of a brown but who knows lol.
Attachments
michu4.jpg
michu4.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
stureid92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stureid92 »

and heres a better picture of her after a shower as she needed it lol.
Attachments
michuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg
michuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Hello sweet girl!!! Blue chows are so hard to photograph inside (I know because our Leo is tough to capture). But of what I can see of her, she is precious, indeed! Congratulations!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)