How do you find the proper home

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

How do you find the proper home

Post by Chowmomma »

A few years ago I got divorced and in that divorce my ex took my blue chow puppy from me to be cruel, now he has w male as well and is moving and cannot take them with him, I agreed to take them but I know I can't keep them as it wouldn't be fair to the chows I have now, I already have 3...
So now I don't know what to do ....help

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How do you find the proper home

Post by wokman »

I know from reading your Post you have a lot going on in your life. It is not my position to comment on your X but with his lack of feelings toward you I would say taking the Chows was the equivalent of a Rescue. I would say the only thing to do is list them on this site, RescueMe and as a courtesy post on one of the many Rescue shelters listed on PetFinder. West Texas Chow Rescue, Katann Chow Rescue, Luverne, MN. and others often do this for special situations. Maybe one of these groups has an opening with a Foster home. The previously mentioned Rescues adopt to people nation wide and use contacts to check peoples back grounds I have read. A Rescue Group in your home state might give you more peace of mind since as I have seen only adopt to people in an area close enough to them so they can personally do a home check and followups. There is (was) adoption guide lines on the former Wisconsin Chow Rescue Web site. Also you can use adoption forms as a guide line from one of the Rescue Groups Web Site, the Chow Rescue Group in New York comes to mind; if you adopt out yourself.

As for your X. [-X
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

First you post pictures of them with their ages, shot status, spay/neuter status, personalities and all the information you can to the chows in need sections on this website and the other site, also petfinders. DO NOT post them to craigslist. When someone contacts you about them, ask questions, lots of questions:
1. do they have chow experience? If not why do they want a chow?
2. do they have other dogs or cats now? How will they go about intergration with the new additions?
3. What is the name and phone number of their vet. Contact the vet for verification. (Yes I mean that it is important)
4. do they have a yard? Fenced or not? if not how will they keep the chows safe?
5. Are they going to be able to take the chows for walks? How often? Who will do the walking?
6. Do they know about dog/chow training and socialization? Are they planning on working with their adopted chows, (which to me is a very necessary thing) if so where and how? Again verify.
7. what are they planning on feeding them? How about water. (Basic questions but ones that will tell you a few things about the potential adopters experience with taking care of a pet)
8. chows require hours of grooming each week and sometimes per day, how will they handle that?
9. End of life care, what do they plan to do if the chow becomes terminally ill? ( I was asked this by a Sammy breeder, and while talking with her about it, I also realized that this is an important part of pet owner ship) Being ready to take a pet into the vet to release them to the bridge is something every owner has to think about. Or having the vet come for a last home visit. Taking the pet to some empty road in the middle of nowhere is NOT a good answer.
10. What arrangements have they or will they make if they can not cre for the chows later themselves through illness or other life problems?

These are the questions I'd start with, and there are more, I might actually if the adoptee is nearby want to see the home and environment. I also would not give them away for free. In this instance you are acting as a rescue or shelter, I'd charge a fee. People willing to spend some money ae usually more legtimate than people who wnat something for nothing.

Adopting an adult pet is the same as adopting a baby one as far as Im concerned and there is nothing wrong with asking the same questions of potential adobters and any good potential adobter will being willing to see that. Anyone who has a problem with it, should be eliminated right off the bat as not a good prospect.

Hope this helps get you started on the search.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Look at some of the Post I have on this Forum, they have links to the PetFinder pages showing the dog Posted.
From the PetFinder dog description page you can Link to the shelters web page and find their adoption application.
I suggest you look at several different applications and print out the one that asks the questions to potential adopters you feel are most important to you. If you feel this is too much to handle try one of the many Rescue Groups you can find listed on Petfinder in your state, from the drop down menu at the top of their main page. :idea:
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Thanks so much!! The blue one is AKC registered and tattooed to me (which I'd never recommend, arrrgh bad bad topic)

I would do the fostering, I just feel as though not fair to the 3 I already have and especially little Zahra who is recovering with me.....btw I do have cancer confirmed and will be getting partial mastectomy on Oct 10th

I really need to work on their coats, last time I saw them they felt almost sticky to touch, very odd and clearly not on a good diet....

My chows are very soft and not coarse stiff feeling, breaks my heart to not take her back but.....I moved on and am now devoted to the ones I have now, 5 chows to much and I'd rather admit that then offer any of them poor limited care...

This is Sapphire when I first got her....

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1348718861087.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1348718861087.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ok, my husband is going to KILL me for asking, but how old is the blue? Is she good with cats? Any health issues? Personality type?
P.S. You've been in my thoughts (I'm not a huge religious person) but I've been sending my positive thoughts and energies your way.