What happens to the Puppies not adopted?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

What happens to the Puppies not adopted?

Post by wokman »

With the yelping season at its peak and so many little ones starting life; what happens to the ones left in the litter box? No these are not amazing wall climbing Chowlings, I just did not try to right the photo. :mrgreen:
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (146.13 KiB) Viewed 3095 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What happens to the Puppies not adopted?

Post by Sirchow »

I dont know the answere to that one but I am guessing it is not a good outcome :(
Here in the UK there are so many less chows around it is not the same problem. I had homes for my litter mostly before they were born and the rest had homes well before the eight weeks that they went off to the big wide world. I had so many enquireys I was able to turn down many more offers than I had puppies which I was thankful for because some had no idea at all about chows or puppies. One family wanted to leave their eight week baby for a minimum of eight hours every day whilst they were out at work :o It took a lot of chatting and emails to begin to get a picture of what the potential owners were really like as they say what you want to hear to begin with. I was a very fussy breeder and maybe some are not so bothered which doesn't bode well for those babies even when they do go to their new homes.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

The answer is two fold, first breeders should all be as picky as Sirol is/was. Breed only a few times each year and hopefully have good adoptees even before the puppies are born with backups. Second those looking for a puppy should do their own research first in how to find and adopt a healthy puppy from a good breeder. How to avoid puppy mills and why, how to avoid byb and why.

Never buy a puppy from a pet store, and never from most websites without visiting the kennel. Puppy mills often have nice looking websites with good pictures, but the truth is often a lot darker. Being able to visit the kennel, see both parents or at least the mother, (though with chows I'd want to see both parents) learn the genetic history etc, is the first rule for adopting a puppy from a breeder.

For breeders learning all you can about your potential buyer is essential as well. They should have a vet as reference, know something about dogs in general and chows specifically, and as much as they can about raising a puppy.

Without these things happening, puppies born to breeders who are in it for the money, end up in bad homes, on the streets or on death row at some place. And that is horrible. Also never give a puppy or kitten as a present without making sure it is wanted.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Sad that some treat companion animals as merchandise for monetary gains. [-X
Sirchow is a good example of a caring and concerned breeder. =D=
The Chow Mix pictured is being offered free to a good home that will take care of it. This type of Ad makes me cringe since it invites the wrong type of people to take the dog. Not a Puppy but along the same lines of this discussion.
Attachments
12-09-23-00201.jpg
12-09-23-00201.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

wokman wrote:
The Chow Mix pictured is being offered free to a good home that will take care of it. This type of Ad makes me cringe since it invites the wrong type of people to take the dog. Not a Puppy but along the same lines of this discussion.
Exactly why I told Chowmomma to ask for money for the two she might be putting up for adoption. Most rescues charge anywhere from $125 to $250 to adopt a rescue. I think purebreeds should always come with a $250 and up price tag. This keeps the unscrupulous away. Not too many dog fighter people will want to spend money on a bait dog, labs don't want the adult ones as they could be sick and they aren't going to pay that amount of money either.

Never ever list any pet, "free to a good home" If you feel that you don't want the money, take it and give it to a rescue or somethiing.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayley92 »

Ive been done back in the day many breeders used to drown dogs that were born with undesirable qualities. I hope this doesn't still happen but I think luckily in the UK chow chows aren't usually found in huge quantities and specalist rescues exist