Too smart.

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Too smart.

Post by nnguyentang »

So my little violet is now 4 months old, just got her rabies shot and weighing at 26 lbs. My vet tells me she should double her weight when fully grown.. (: so we are excited. I bought a gate to keep her in my room and out of trouble. She figured out how to open the gate with her nose. Too smart. Haha i love it and hate it, now I have to keep the door shut.. But new topic. I brought her to my new job to a puppy play group to socialize and she is doing so well. Proud momma.
-Nat and Violet
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Too smart.

Post by Sarahloo »

Get a lock for the gate or something. We can still outsmart our Chows, if we try really really hard!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes - gates are easy-peasy to chows but you can outwit them! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Gates are not a problem if you spend the time to teach them to respect the barriers you put up. I have a baby gate that I can learn precariously against a corner of a wall and Ty will not cross it. He could easily knock it over and as a small puppy he could wiggle through until he learned he wasn't allowed to. Work on this and YOU can outwit your chow :)
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I too use a baby gate with Belle when she is in time-out or if people she doesnt like comes over. She never tries to cross but is the rare barker & will let me know her displeasure at being behind the gate. I outsmarted her by putting a small blanket over the gate...out of sight, out of mind. \:D/
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

We have baby gates up for Rio and my grandson, there is also one that goes to the cats room that has a small kitty-flap for them. Rio smushes his face up against them like a convict, he is funny.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Funny!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Gates are not a problem if you spend the time to teach them to respect the barriers you put up.
My two are trained to recognize barriers that we humans place and they won't cross them. I once "trapped" my two on the screened porch when I left a piece of conduit propped across their path. It is all a matter of training.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Matter of training my eye! :lol:
Matilda learnt when she was about 6 months old that if she stood up and pushed the gate catch she could open the gate - she and Maisie were thrilled that they could go walkabout. A padlock on the catch soon sorted that out. 8)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

LOL Judy Fox, now the fence and gates are definitely secure. All that training only works when they have a roof over their head. When they go outside, the training evaporates.