Hurricane Isaac :' (

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hurricane Isaac :' (

Post by Sirchow »

I just wanted to send thoughts and prayers for the safety of those caught in this terrible tradgedy. It is hard to believe the timeing and the terrible sence of deja vu. Stay safe and know that we are thinking of you. xxxx
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Hurricane Isaac :' (

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Thank you Sirchow and Rio for thinking of us over here. This is quite an anniversary for Katrina. LOTS of rain, but not as much wind. At this time, the eye is over Houma, Louisiana, and the folks in south Louisiana are really getting wet. I am about 60 miles 100KM east of New Orleans and we have been getting rain for about 18 hours, and will get more rain for maybe another 24 hours. There will be a lot of flooding, mostly in Louisiana.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Ursa's Dad we havent heard from you lately ...Hope all is well after the hurricane..Pop in if you can to update us? Just thinking of you..
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I've been wondering where Ursa's dad has gotten to as well, hope everything is okay. And I'm not sure if Jess is in the affected area but we haven't heard from Tippsy's mom in a while either. Hope everything is okay with Jess as well.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

JUst heard from Jess, shes fine just busy..but still haven't heard from Ursas dad???
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Glad to hear Jess is okay, now we just need to hear from Ursa's Dad, it does seem odd since he normally posts every day. :?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Does anyone know his name and I will search Fb? I hope he is OK :?
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Things are well, I have been busy. I had a tree break over at my mother-in-law's, and spent a while cutting it down, then chipping up the limbs and doing yard work. Then I decided I needed to build a new cart for the portable generator, and that got to be am overgrown project. I appreciate the concern.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Sorry to hear you have had some damage with the storms to work with, but glad you are okay.. We will call off the APB ...( all points bulletin in case some don't know those initials) and the search chows too.. hehe
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

@chowpups, thanks for the APB, in the future I will try to keep in touch. One tree down is not damage in my book. I reference years of hurricanes, so unless I have major damage to the house, it is all business as usual. After Katrina, my M-n-L had three trees on her house, so one damaged tree that I knew would eventually would have to come down is not a problem. I don't have a problem with flooding, but that was definitely an issue. My neighbor said her rain gauge showed 16 inches (40.6 cm) of rain in 36 hours. Of course, all that brought problems to the area, and much of my attention went to finding out how friends were doing.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Glad to hear you're okay, we'll call off the Canadian APB too. :lol:
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

You sound like my husband , just comes with the, territory type reasoning...and making sure all are safe! we had years ago some house damage in a hurricane and it was just, okay let's get it cleaned up and move on!!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Chowpups, I am here by choice, and hurricanes are just a part of it. I see you are in PA, so I suppose you know how to deal with snow and freezing weather. I deal with cold weather by living here. Hurricane prep is an all year thing with peaks every August. The house is designed to withstand 120mph winds. The "land scaping" is actual designed with storms in mind. The raised beds on the north edge of the property are actually water diversion structures. The camellia and magnolias planted there are simply attractive wind breaks. The week prior to the storm was spent checking generators and chainsaws, and securing things. We were ready to receive "guests" should friends need a place to stay. After the storm it was checking to see that friends were ok. I now have to sharpen a chain saw and prepare a generator for long term storage. It all comes with the territory.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Glad to hear you and the family are safe :D

I never think US houses look strong enough for what they have to withstand but it sounds like they are stronger than they look. Last Winter we had terrifying gales of 120 mph gusts and lost a bit of roof but our houses are all built of bricks and concrete blocks and tiled or slate roof and we were luckier than some round about who had more damage or were unlucky enough to have what did come down land on their cars. But as you say as long as everyone is safe and well it is just a case of clearing up and getting on with it. :wink: