Why I typically avoid dog parks....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Why I typically avoid dog parks....

Post by Tippsy'smom »

A friend called me up this morning and asked if I'd wanna bring Dixie and Jasper to the dog park to meet up with she and her pup Xena. Of course I agree, having had a bad couple of days and really wanted to enjoy some time with my dogs and a friend. So, we get there and it's just us, so we went in and set the dogs loose. After about an hour of the pups playing and just having a ball, a woman showed up with a lab who came in and joined in on the fun. Well, maybe 25-30 minutes later, a man showed up with a retriever mix. This man and his dog walked in and the dog tore after Jasper and latched onto his neck! I screamed, jumped up from where we'd been sitting watching the dogs play, and went and tried to fight the other dog off of Jasper. Once I finally managed to kick the dog off of Jazz; without any help from it's owner; and got Jazz leashes up, the dog went after Dixie! Who when the fight started had tried to get into it but went across the park when I told her to get out of it. I told Dixie to "come" and told the owner he needed to do something about his dog. As Dixie ran to me though, the dog latched onto her neck, which made her start yelping. The guy at that point had the nerve to say his dog was "friendly" and "just playing", and that I needed to "chill out"... I absolutely lost it! I told him he needed to contain his dog right THEN and that he better have proof of a current rabies vaccination, as I kicked his dog off of Dixie, leashed her up, and my friend called the police after she got Xena. The other woman that was with us took her dog to her car and pulled her vehicle behind his so if he did go to it trying to leave he couldn't, and we waited for the police...

When I got my guys to the car I checked them for any wounds. Found none on Jazz, but Dixie has a good sized puncture wound on the side of her neck, which I took her straight to the vet to have it cleaned and got antibiotics for her (which the guy paid for). And lucky for this guy his dog does have current rabies vaccination or he would have been fined a lot more that what he was.

It's idiots like this that make me hate people.... He had no business bringing that dog to a dog park. It could have ended up much worse, especially if the dog had gone after Xena (assumed whippet/shepherd mix) or the lab!? I really don't think I'll be going back to the dog park after this... This is the second time I've had someone else's dog come after mine, and going to the dog park isn't worth risking my dogs' safety. We're better off sticking to visits to Petsmart or Petco where it's controlled leashed greetings with other dogs and people and going for walks at the "people park".
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Why I typically avoid dog parks....

Post by Victory »

I'm glad that Dixie is going to be all right, but mad that she got hurt in the first place. I'm also glad that you had witnesses to back you up with the police and one being a total stranger who helped by making sure the guy couldn't leave was very fortunate.

As for the guy, what an idiot! Even if his dog IS normally friendly and playful it should have been evident to him that the dog was currently out of control and needed to be leashed, maybe a few minutes of a leashed greeting would have been appropriate. I would have to do that right now if I took Firesong and Dreamdancer to an off leash park, because they just haven't been around too many other dogs lately, and they'd get too excited. For the most part I'm with you, I prefer leashed settings where everyone is in control of their dogs.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Im glad she is ok...some people just shouldnt own dogs...And then sit there and do nothing...We havent been to the dog park lately...But we will be going back soon We will have to keep an eye out for our dogs they really have that pack mentallity lately...That can be scary...If another dog goes after one of ours i really dont know what would happen...

Last time we were there a Rottie went to play a little Rough with our Airedale...That didnt work out to well for Him...Our Airedale turned the tables on him fast after the little dis-agreement they were fine..then a Husky was palying a little rough with our Female chow Both Kodi our Male chow and Bear the Airedale ran across the park to bully that dog away from her...Dogs parks can be ok...just have to really know the situation and keep a close eye on your dogs and if you see someones dog that doesnt like right then its time to leave...Oh and other thing we were told NEVER EVER leash the dog in the park...that makes the other dogs go after them..for some reason...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Jess, I am glad that Dixie is going to be ok and that Jazz was not harmed. People like that make me so mad. It was very nice of the other lady to step in and keep that weasel from leaving.

Big hugs!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Victory wrote:I'm glad that Dixie is going to be all right, but mad that she got hurt in the first place. I'm also glad that you had witnesses to back you up with the police and one being a total stranger who helped by making sure the guy couldn't leave was very fortunate.

As for the guy, what an idiot! Even if his dog IS normally friendly and playful it should have been evident to him that the dog was currently out of control and needed to be leashed, maybe a few minutes of a leashed greeting would have been appropriate. I would have to do that right now if I took Firesong and Dreamdancer to an off leash park, because they just haven't been around too many other dogs lately, and they'd get too excited. For the most part I'm with you, I prefer leashed settings where everyone is in control of their dogs.
Thanks Victory. I'm mad she got hurt too. Especially when she was doing what I asked her to and staying out of trouble, even though I could she she really wanted to jump in and protect Jazz.
I'm very greatful to the woman helping us, 'cause she really didn't have to even get involved. I couldn't thank her enough.

I really wanted to strangle that guy though. I really wish I'd clues in on the dog's behavior and gotten my guys out of there before he made it in....
kitten1426 wrote:Im glad she is ok...some people just shouldnt own dogs...And then sit there and do nothing...We havent been to the dog park lately...But we will be going back soon We will have to keep an eye out for our dogs they really have that pack mentallity lately...That can be scary...If another dog goes after one of ours i really dont know what would happen...

Last time we were there a Rottie went to play a little Rough with our Airedale...That didnt work out to well for Him...Our Airedale turned the tables on him fast after the little dis-agreement they were fine..then a Husky was palying a little rough with our Female chow Both Kodi our Male chow and Bear the Airedale ran across the park to bully that dog away from her...Dogs parks can be ok...just have to really know the situation and keep a close eye on your dogs and if you see someones dog that doesnt like right then its time to leave...Oh and other thing we were told NEVER EVER leash the dog in the park...that makes the other dogs go after them..for some reason...
Thanks.

That's why I have proven to my guys that I'm "pack leader". I don't want them ganging up if another dog starts something. They KNOW I'll step in and handle it. That's why Dixie went to the other end of the park, and why Jazz just stood there until I got him free. They could very easily rip another dog apart if I let them, but I taught them better thank that. My guys ganging up would just cause more problems.
TJordan wrote:Jess, I am glad that Dixie is going to be ok and that Jazz was not harmed. People like that make me so mad. It was very nice of the other lady to step in and keep that weasel from leaving.

Big hugs!
Thank you Tammy!
Jess
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our dogs listen well i wouldnt want them to gang up on anyone..I was just saying that they will protect each other..and US...I never let them bully another dog...But if the play gets a little rought i let them go a little bit,to see if they can work it out if i see they arent i stpe in and tell our dog to walk away Leave It....and thats what they do....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My dogs play rough. It's how they are. Most big dogs do. And if it gets too rough for them, they come lay down by me. They know better. I don't have to step in most of the time. The only one who needs reminding is Dixie, but she's headstrong anyways, and typically very tolerant. Especially of younger dogs. Only time I really step in is if the other dogs are being aggressive or a persistent pest (as I had happen with another chow mix who was trying to hump Dixie and she wasn't having any of it).
Jess
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I've learned in the past (with my own dogs) that letting them "work it out" causes more harm than good most of the time.
Jess