Heart attack moment!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Heart attack moment!

Post by Tippsy'smom »

So, I had Jazz, Dixie, and Snooki outside earlier (Todd was sleeping in his kennel in my room); Jasper in the dog run, and Dixie and Snooki tied up (dixie climbs the fence and Snooki can squeeze between the post and the gate still). So, I figured while I had them out there I was going to get my chores done. So, I vacuumed, swept, and was in the process of dusting when Max and Li'l Bit go running to the front door barking. I thought it was just them being the idiotic yappers that they typically are, barking at nothing, so I told them to shut up and continued doing what I was doing. A couple minutes passed and I hear scratching at the front door. I go around the corner to tell Max to knock it off, and he's not by the door; he's laying on the stairs landing. So I peek outside and there's Snooki standing there, a good bit of her chain hanging from her harness. :shock: I opened the door and she came trotting past me. I peek outside to see if there's any angry neighbors out, but nope, nobody's out. I close the door and turn around and Snooki's sitting behind me wagging her tail, like "see? I was a good girl. I came right to the front door!" :lol: I couldn't do anything but tell her "good girl" and give her a treat because she did come to the door and let me know she was there.

I can't believe she broke her chain though... Guess we're gonna have to get a stronger one... I swear she's another Dixie. :lol:

And I'm not gonna lie, I felt panicky when I saw her standing there, 'cause so many bad things could have happened to her.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Heart attack moment!

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I am not sure what type of chain you are using or its age. You need to examine the failed portion of the chain and determine why it failed. Generally, dog chains have one of two types of failures. I used to use the type of chain like used in swing sets, consisted of links that had multi turns at the center of each link. These would eventually wear where the links came together. It is easy to see if the wire is not fully rounded, but flat on the inside of the link. Once they get thin enough, the link will fail. Another type of chain used has crimped links. Basically, these are not suitable for larger dogs, since the links can open up should the dog jerk on the chain. Checks also are required if you use cable or have a cable run. They will wear, and once a few strands are worn, it is possible for them to break.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

It was a brand new chain... And it's one of those similar to the ones used on swings. I guess Snooki was just too strong for it... She's the pit mix. She's 35-ish lbs at about 6 months... :?

My mom bought this one. I'm gonna get her one like Dixie's, which is welded steel links.
Jess
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

When I was a kid we had a Pek, who was very good at snapping his chain, he weighed 8lbs soaking wet, and he wore a chain that was supposed to be good up to 30lbs...he would delibertly wrap it around the tree until it was pretty tight and then he'd run against it over and over again until it snapped, then off he'd go to fight with the cocker spaniel up the street, (who weighed a lot more than 8lbs) My dad finally carried him home by his harness, yelling at him the entire 2.5 blocks, (yes the little fool was crossing busy streets) and he didn't do it anymore. The only dog I've ever known to be twice as stubborn as a chow!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Oh Lord, that sounds like what Jazz use to do... Only he'd pull until his collar either snapped, or stretched enough it would slip over his head... Somehow, Snooki was pulling on on this chain so hard with her harness the she made the twists in the metal, untwist until that piece of the link pulled straight and she was free. :shock:
Jess
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I think you should install a doorbell at doogie paw level for the 'just in case' it happens again scenario.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

A cable would be less likely to break compared to chain. As Victory pointed out, and you have observed, if a dog can have the chain fixed to where it is held with no give, a dog can rush and cause the chain to break. It is a little harder to do with a cable, but it can probably be done. I have not seen a new cable break, but like chain, a dog can knot it up so.......there is no easy answer.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I think we're leaning towards a welded steel chain like Dixie's. She's had it for about 7 months now and it still looks practically brand new with no signs of wear on it. 'Cause we've experienced how quick cables break with dogs like Dixie and Snooki... Dixie went through 3 cables in her first year... Which is why I got the chain I have for her now.

And I'm praying we don't have another incident like yesterday's.... We had animal control show up at our door today.... Said that our neighbor 2 doors down called saying they saw one of our dogs loose yesterday. (this is the same neighbor who's rottweiler runs loose everyday and attacked Tippsy, Jasper, AND Snooki!) I told the AC officer "oh, so y'all will come out about a dog who was loose for MAYBE 3 minutes, but don't bother to come out about a dog, who's owned by the same neighbor who complained about our puppy running loose, attacking said puppy, another one of our dogs, and one who's since passed....AND runs loose daily. And also fail to do anything about a poor dog tied up in a backyard in full sun 24/7/365 with NO shelter, NO food to be seen, and NO water available? I think y'all need to get your priorities straight." THAT made me beyond angry.
Jess
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

The nerve of some people astounds me on a daily basis! Yours escaped, wasn't left to its own devices, nor neglected. Did you show said officer the now broken restraint? It makes me boil sometimes when the good owners bear the fall for the irresponsible ones. I think you showed excellent character in not slapping the control officer around the chops!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Yeah, I showed him the chain. I had it sitting on the driveway. He said "there's no excuse for a dog to be loose". I wanted to punch him in the face. And when he followed me to the front door saying he wanted to see the dog, I told he the ONLY way he was going to see the dog was when I was dead, or he chose to do something big about the dogs I mentioned previously, and slammed the door in his face. I had a really short temper yesterday...
Jess
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

What would his solution be? Have a back-up attatched and a back-up for the back-up, just in case! The stupid *Censored Word*.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I guess he figures people should be standing by their tied dogs at all times... But I'm sorry, I can't be out there with them at ALL times. I usually put them out there when I NEED to be able to do my chores without tripping over a dog, or have a dog or 2 running up to me wanting me to play with them... :? He was a stupid *Censored Word*...
Jess