Been a little hesitant to post this...

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Been a little hesitant to post this...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Well, everyone knows I hid Dixie for a year and a half, and I was finally able to come out and tell my dad she was mine when I got my job... Well, I lost my job about a month and a half ago now, and my finances have been depleted (food bills and Jasper's recent vet bills)... I've been looking for a new job, but have been unsuccessful so far...

Well, my dad's been riding my back trying to get me to "get rid" of her... Now, anyone who knows me KNOWS I would/will never give up one of my dogs (or any other animal). I've brought them into my life for the entirety of theirs. However, my dad has threatened to "let her loose" a number of times to my mom and I... And I'm afraid I'm going to have to put Dixie back into hiding... :( I HATE to do that to her again... I know she doesn't mind, she's always been a good girl about staying quiet and well-behaved, I just I feel bad because the other dogs will get to be out in the rest of the house with us when my dad's home, but she'll have to be locked away... :? And it'll work out better than it did before, my dad's working day shift now, working 5-6 days of the week. He leaves anytime between 4 AM and 8 AM and gets home between 6:30 PM and 9 PM, depending on which run he gets (he a truck driver), so we can have a normal day and then go up to bed as my dad's getting home.

I know I'm gonna get crap for "disobeying" my dad, but I really don't care. He's a jerk, and until you've lived with him or seen how he treats my mom, my brother, and I; you won't understand.

But if you're in the boat of "it's disrespectful", answer me this; would you rather a dog who's been with someone from the time they were 6-8 weeks old be given away to someone they barely know, or for the owner to do everything in their power to keep the dog and have it happy?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Auddymay

Re: Been a little hesitant to post this...

Post by Auddymay »

I will try to choose my words as carefully as possible...First, your dad sounds like a dick. From all the storys you have posted, I think I have a clear understanding of your family dynamics. Everyone has their own pets, including your mom. With everyone having multiple pets, it must be animal central. When your Dad loses his temper regardless of the cause, he targets the animals and everyone evades and does whatever needed to abate the anger- including mom. This is not going to change.

Instead of limiting new adoptions though, all of you continue to add new pets. Sure, I understand your want to help homeless animals, but this is not the best way. Now Dixie is in peril. Do you want to work at Taco Bell? Probably not. But if this is the only kind of job you can get right now, lower your standards and do it for the sake of your pets. Your father is not the only one at blame here. Part of maturity is knowing your limitations. You should not add any more animals to your family until you are in your own place and in total control of their fate.

My daughter Haley has been volunteering at a rescue a couple miles from here since she was a junior in high school. It satisfies her need to help without increasing our own household. Plus, she has now been working as a paid employee the last few months because she showed she was mature and dedicated to the proper care of the animals. She still maintains her volunteer shifts, too. This might be the route for you to satisfy that need to help animals as well.

I'm sorry if my words come off harshly. I think you know me well enough to know I am not the type to sugarcoat a situation, and I think you also know I come from a place of caring. I hope you can find a solution that everyone can live with. Good luck!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I understand where you're coming from Audrey. And I can honestly say, that the ONLY animal I purposefully brought home myself, since Dixie, was my mouse and I got him in February. But since Dixie, my mom has brought home 2 cats, my brother brought home his puppy and 2 hamsters, and my parents adopted Todd for me for my birthday (which, I might add, I didn't ask for him). I knew/know adding more animals isn't helping anything. After I lost Tippsy, I was content at it stay at Dixie until I got a job and was financially stable enough to move out and take care of myself and the animals I have, but since then, I've had cats, a dog, and hamsters pushed off on me and was given Todd.

And I've stooped down to applying to Waffle House, McDonald's and the like... But still nothing...

And before I lost my job, I was actually packing to move into a house with a friend of mine (she knew I was bringing 3 dogs, a cat, a mouse, and 2 hamsters and she was cool with it; she has a dog and 2 turtles) but then I got in the stupid accident and lost my job. I'd work 2 jobs if it got us out of this house.
Jess
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi,
I don't know you at all, only from what I read on here and from my very distant observation you 100% have your furry friends best interests at heart. I have no idea about your home life and have no real advice either. Addymay makes a lot of sense too and has some very logical points. I'm sorry I have no solution but want you to know I empathize with your situation and know that you'll do whatever you believe is best.

Good luck and feel free to vent here.
Hugs
Michelle and Hugo x
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Hi Michelle,
Thank you. Last year, after I lost Tippsy, we had 4 dogs, 5 cats, a bird, and a hamster. My mom got a call from one of her friends who found a 4 week old kitten and couldn't take care of it, so my mom decided to bring him home on August 4. My hamster died in October. In January, my brother brought home the current 2 hamsters (that he swore up and down he'd take care of)... I got my mouse in early February. Then in late February, he brought home his puppy. My mom and dad surprised me with Todd in March. And last month, my mom brought home a kitten from a friend's oops litter. My brother doesn't listen when anybody says no (he was told no to the hamsters and the dog) and I don't know what my mom's thinking... I know Todd was my dad's idea because he wanted me to have a second companion (obviously didn't know about Dixie). So, now, we have 6 dogs, 7 cats, 1 bird, 1 mouse, and 2 hamsters. Of which, 3 dogs, 3 cats (I brought home Lullaby; in 2008; and Minion; in 2010; and Monster is the one my mom brought home last year... He picked me), the bird, and the mouse are actually MINE. But I've also had my brothers puppy and hamsters pushed off on me. And my brothers Chihuahua was pushed of on my mom years ago. And my mom has her yorkie and 4 cats.
Jess