Looking for stud in the bay area

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

montegna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for stud in the bay area

Postby montegna » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:19 pm

I am located in Hayward, Ca and looking for a mate for my female chow. She has had her first 'Heat' at 7 months old. I would like to have her have 1 litter B4 I fix her. Looking for someone local in the bay area, non-akc please but, purebreed.

3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby 3blackchows » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm across the country from you & I know you didn't ask my opinion; however 7 months is a little young. I would let her complete this heat & make sure all is well. Ha;f way thru my females first heat she developed a UTI & had to be on antibiotics..not saying that will happen to yours.. but she was miserable, I cudn't imagine matting her on top of the way she was feeling.

Is there are reason you are not looking for an AKC male?
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Postby Victory » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:24 am

Since 3chows brought it up; and you didn't ask for my opinon either but...

I have to agree that 7 months is too young. Also, has she been screened for hips, knees, elbows, eyes, thyroid? Is there any cancer in her pedigree? You should wait until she's at least 1 year or more and have these tests done before you consider mating her, and then only with a male of equal or better health and quality.

I'm not one to say only show breeders should breed, but I will say that only the best specimen should be breed. And that means meeting or surpassing breed standard and passing all and any health checks that are available. In other words I believe that every breeder attempt to breed to show quality even if none of the puppies is ever shown.

I say this as someone who has to have her lovely six year-old male put to sleep tomorrow because of cancer, that may be genetic. He also has artheritis in his elbows and while this is not life threatening it may have, could he live longer effected his quality of life in the future.

Please consider carefully your reasons for breeding your girl before doing so. And please wait until she is older, she's still a puppy and needs to be able to finish growing up herself before having a litter.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!

Return to “Community Discussions”