Dilema and annoyance

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dilema and annoyance

Post by TyChowgirl »

I have something I want to share with you all in hopes that you guys may be able to provide some solid feedback, maybe links to things that may help support my "side" of the argument so to speak.
I was at my aunt's last night getting my hair pinned up (we're trying to figure out how I wanted it styled for my wedding in less than three weeks) and my other aunt and uncle dropped by to look at a rug my aunt had been trying to get rid of. My uncle, being an arse, said " Oh, I was laughing at your little personalized dog bone magnet on the back of your car." "Oh?" "Yea, it says I love your chow chow, well that's good because no one else can. He's mean and agressive." Well, this went into a discussion, rather heated as you can imagine this made me a little hot under the collar. How he inappropriately approached Ty, how he forced himself on him, and mentally pushed him and wondered why he spent most of the night trying to stay away from him or eventually, once he had had enough, barked at him. He told me my dog wasn't socialized at all. Now, I'm not a dog professional by any means...but, I have done dog obedience courses, and read/done a lot of research.
This is what the situation was that night. Ty, as I've explained before, was a very timid and shy puppy. Socialization and Desensitization are things I've been working with him from day one...and he's come a long way, leaps and bounds since then. Months ago, we were visiting my dad's. This was the first time Ty had been there so he was a little nervous as it was. In strolls my uncle, immediately looming over Tiberius. I told him, it's best to ignore him and let him get used to you. Instead of listening, he's trying to force a pet and a sniff on the dog. He then starts to try and command my dog around to see what he's learned. I'm getting cranky at this point because, Ty was trying to listen to him, but wasn't quite sure because who is this stranger trying to boss me around, right? He continues to do this all night, mess him with, see what he's made of, antagonize him. I told him several times to leave him alone. He thinks he knows it all, now that he has a labrador he's field training. But when he first got him, you could tell even after the dog was full grown, my uncle was not the leader..the dog as labs are as puppies till about 3 years unless of calm temperament naturally or excessive job training, a little crazy...but being a lab...he of course loves darn near everyone. He told me, I have to be the alpha and I wasn't clearly because the Ty wasn't listening to him...but of course if I told him to do something, he listened. The key is, I'm alpha to my dog, that doesn't mean he is. Either way, he concluded my dog is mean and agressive...that he has no socialization..when on cool days we go to the dog park where Ty lets complete strangers pet him all the time now...sometimes almost on a daily basis...we go to all the pet stores at least weekly and we work with that all the time. Yes, there are things we need to work on. And my training with him as been a little lax as well as walking because of the really bad heat and my work schedule...as well as all of the traveling back and forth to PA we've been doing with the wedding coming up. But he's not a mean dog...he's not a bad dog, he's actually very obedient...for a chow I guess? I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any solid links to information that will support me that I can send my arrogant uncle, (not that he'll change his mind?) but at least to educate him that not only was his approach wrong with my dog but also any dog...I don't get it..he dated a girl for a while with two chows...now maybe they were the extra friendly sort...but you know still... I'm just annoyed right now. When I told him about the socialization he gets (inluding a dog run meeting neighborhood dogs and people he doesn't normally interact with either, forgot to mention they put one up in our complex) he just played it off like I'm some idiot making excuses. Argh, end rant. Any input or evidence would be helpful.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Dilema and annoyance

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I don't have any links to anything informative... But I just gotta say, I HATE people who do the crap your uncle did/is doing.

Tippsy was fearful of men (long story short, stupid man that lived behind us stuck his kid over into our backyard when she was still a puppy; she jumped up and scratched the kids face with her claws; kid cried and the idiot punched her in the head... I was coming out of the house to feed she and our other dogs at the time and saw it. I screamed for my mom, she called the cops and the idiot was fined and had to pay the vet bill for when we took her right after that to make sure she was ok), and the first time my aunt's newest husband came over to the house and met her(about 6 years ago now), he tried to force himself on her and I about knocked him out. I told him to leave her alone numerous times, but he wouldn't listen. I ended up taking Tippsy up to my room so she could keep away from him. He kept acting like he knew better than me when it came to her... And quite honestly, I can't believe she didn't bite him... He's not a good person anyways...

My aunt (the woman married to the idiot mentioned above), came over here the Thanksgiving after we got Jasper (she saw him the night I got him; New Years of '08 but hadn't seen him since) and when she saw Jazz and Tippsy on the back deck looking out at the driveway, she said "oh, chows...." in the most disgusted tone ever... Made me mad... AND she's owned chows before!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Not found any links yet (am looking) my first opinion and choice of action would have been a swift kick up the @ss, then a slap in the face, followed by knee to the groin and then sat on him until he gave in.
Because thats pretty much what he was attempting to do to Ty.
I am a rather direct action person when it comes to people like that related or not. I personally think that he has no respect for you whatsoever, I will strive to find some links .
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

When I first met MingToy when he was my parents' they told me, their daughter flat out, not to approach him, to allow him to approach me, just to ignore him. I did, I always listen to other people about how to be with their dogs, it took almost three days of my three week visit before he was okay with me. Then we became best buds, I took him for long walks, (a lot longer than he got with my dad LOL) brushed him even fed him treats. When I got ready to go he was mad at me, he saw my suitcases and was very pouty about it.
I didn't see him again for years and years, but when I did he remembered me and we were so okay together that LiChi who I'd never met accepted me right off, and I was able to move them from Oregon to Minnesota, where they lived out their lives. I don't think I could have done that if MingToy didn't have good memories of me and our time together, which he had because I let him decide.
My parents learned this about their chows from a book, which right now I can't find, but I'll go look for it. You never, ever force them, especially if they are wary. Dreamdancer is a friendly boy, he's never been hurt, or scared by anyone, I've never allowed it. Firesong used to be pretty skittish with people, now she gets her pets and then ignores them, she'd rather be chasing squirells, in the house with guests she's friendly though. But it took me YEARS to get her to that point, because she had been made nervous around people before I got her. Chows have very long memories, and Ty now has bad memories of you uncle...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I guess i will say what others have thought, but not wanted to say straight out, because that is my nature.

Your uncle is a bully. Apparently not strong enough to try it with people, but just bold enough to try to bully your dog. I have said it before, but once again, i really dont want to see a Chow react appropriately, because it becomes the dogs fault, but your uncle deserves a swift attack for his behavior with your dog. And i wont chastise you for allowing it, because i understand having to deal with family and people that, within that structure, supposedly are meriting respect.

That being said, the fact that your pup didnt strike given the situation says a great deal about the job you have done socializing and training him.

I agree that no amount of research or internet data is going to change his attitude. Bottom line, tell him if the dog wasnt well trained, socialized, and behaved he would have a canine holes in his butt for being such a jackass. He's your dog, and if he gave a damn, he would show the dog and you some respect.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/10243965.asp
http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Breed-C ... ality.aspx
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/chowchow.html
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/chow-chow.html
Not sure if these are helpful but have a looksee.
Oh I forgot with all the kicking of @ss in my earlier post, Good Luck on your wedding day and I am sure your hair will be lovely whatever you decide on.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Just because Ty is a good judge of character does not mean he is unsocial. If your uncle had any dog accumen, he would know that you don't approach unknown dogs like they are your own. He was lucky Ty didn't just try and bite the stupid out of him...maybe he sensed there was too much to begin with.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

ROFLMAO@Auddymay.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yea, I felt that way too. But I was just making sure it wasn't my poor training or there was something wrong with Ty and I that I was missing. Apparently, I have not been giving him enough credit. There have been times where I don't have time to intervene when someone rushes a pet. Most of the time he takes it, though you can tell he wants to run and I praise him when he lets it happen. Sometimes it surprises him and I've seen him whirl around with his mouth open, but he never lunges. I'm never sure if his mouth is open because he's close to biting or if it's already been open, or it's a surprise face like this :o lol
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I's a matter of respect as to when some don't get bitten but others do. Here is a prime example.

Dillon is somewhat wild when it comes to human interaction, yet I know he trusts me and respects me...dare I say, even loves me. Even so, he had a wound on his foot I wanted washed and inspected. He knuckled under and layed on it, and I never did get a good look.

Bright that I am, I decided to try and soak it in the wading pool, which has only been used as a big water dish. I got my first warning when I hooked on the lead to his harness (loop is on his back). He whipped around and mouthed the lead when I tried to direct him. Not to let my stupid gene be supressed, when I got him to the edge of the pool, I reached down to scoop him under his front legs to guide him in. He was having none of it. He swung his head around and smacked me with his face in the neck/chest. He left me on my butt with a big slobber mark, showing me where the bite could have been delivered.

After I recovered some brain activity, I got the lead and lifted him into the water by suspending him slightly from the harness, which he allowed. He was still not a happy boy, but at least the wound was cleaned some and I remained unscathed. Now, had I ever been mean or struck him in the past, I surely would have been bit. Had D'lion been of a mind, I could have been seriously hurt.

Really, Ty is coping correctly with the stupid people he encounters.