WHY!?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

WHY!?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Why does everyone who sees a dog tied up outside, think that THAT and EVERY dog that's chained is neglected or abused? Yes, it makes me sick to see dogs treated as lawn ornaments, just tossed out and chained in the backyard. It infuriates me! But for someone to see one of my dogs tied up (for a very small amount of time; especially in THIS heat), to accuse me of being "an abusive dog owner"; is COMPLETELY out of line! Yes, I do chain Dixie outside for a little bit each day, but it's for her own safety. She climbs/hops fences and I do NOT want her to get hit and killed by a car or have something else awful happen to her. She spends about 30 minutes tied up at a time. She's not left sitting 24/7; uncared for. She has water (that's changed each time she goes out) and shelter (a huge dog house I personally built). She spends most of her day, each and every day, inside being a part of the family. She eats 3 times a day (3-4 cups of kibble). She goes on 2, 2 1/2 mile walks everyday. We play with her frisbee and tennis ball every evening once it's cool enough. And she sleeps in bed with me. How dare anyone tell me I'm "an abusive dog owner" and "unworthy of the unconditional love they give"? And everything I stated about Dixie, goes for Jasper and Todd as well.

I'm sorry for the rant, but between the idiot that said that to me, and always seeing crap saying stuff against chaining dogs, I've really had it. Just because you see a dog chained, it doesn't mean they're abused or neglected. Sometimes it is for their safety.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WHY!?

Post by Rio »

I believe your rant is perfectly acceptable, like you said a chained dog does not mean 'neglected'. Some people are just narrow minded and don't understand that some owners are trying to keep their pets safe and not just 'out of the way'. If you hadn't chained and heaven forbid she had gotten out on to the road and caused an accident, you would have been the 'bad' owner too, you just can't win sometimes.
Rant away if it helps.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Like Rio said Jess, sometimes you just can't win. Just do what you know to be best and ignore idiocy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank y'all. I just see and hear too much of the "a chained dog is a neglected dog" crap... And it just pushed me overboard yesterday. I could understand if my dogs looked unhealthy and ratty (which Jazz doesn't look that great right now because of his skin problems) but they're not. They're spoiled rotten and greatly loved. It hurts that someone who say that. :?
Jess
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Pretty valid rant. I dont have a fully fenced in yard. We have wild rabbits, 2 dogs across the street that bark on end whenever the wind blows, and a neighborhood full of children.

Rory certainly chase a rabbit, explore the neighborhood, or defend himself against the kids that feel aiming a water gun at him is ok (not to mention parents that think its acceptable).

We utilize a trolley run so Rory can get his exercise (not a great leash walker) and to do his business. Rory is a quick out and back in dog, but enjoys lying in the grass and getting some fresh air. He sometimes lays in the sun, but finds the shade on warmer days. The cats next door sometimes get his dander up, but we are quick to hear his barking and bring him in.

Some years back, our 1st Chow was much more of an outdoor dog. He didnt mind the rain (how un-chow like), and we were actually forced to buy an outside dog house for him because of an 'anonymous' complaint to the local authorities. He never once stepped foot in it. He had the option to come in at any time, just liked being outside.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

We use to have our backyard completely fenced in... My dad tore it all down when he decided to build retaining walls where part of our fence was. Then he built the 20 ft x 20 ft dog run for Tippsy and Jasper instead of having the whole yard fenced. We have an older dog house (that my dad built when Tippsy HAD to be an outdoor dog when we lived with my grandparents) that's inside the run, but I started needing to separate Jazz from Tippsy (her being a lot older and getting a little snappy at his "puppy-ness") so my dad and I built Jazz a huge dog house that's outside the run where whoever is tied up can get into it. So, now that Tippsy's gone, Jasper goes into the run when he goes out, and Dixie gets tied by the other dog house.
However, my brother and his gf are working on buying an outdoor kennel that's 10 ft W x 10 ft L x 6 ft H that has a cover on it, so Snooki (his pitbull mix puppy) and Dixie can go in there (and they've talked about getting more than one to have a bigger fenced area for them). So hopefully soon the chain will become a thing of the past.
Jess
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

In our old house, Henry's most favorite place to be was tied out front, he had a whole back yard that was fenced but he always preferred the front so he could keep an eye on his neighbourhood. Now the poor old thing has no choice to be tied up our front, we have no fence at all atm, he seems pretty happy about it, but i'm not. Contemplating a invisible fence but a bit worried he'll get past it. Life has been really horrible the past few months so sorting a fenced area for Henry has been really low on priority. :cry:
Thank you Sweatpea