Showing

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chow master
Rank 0
Rank 0

Showing

Post by Chow master »

Does anyone here show their chow. I need help pointers on what do do how to start I really want to be ready. I have never had a show dog before and need some tips on how to take care of them. Here are my questions.

How old do you have to be?
Can they be spayed/neutered?
What classes do I need to get him/her in?
How do I groom him/her if I don't have the money for a professional groomer?
What is your routine to getting ready for a show?
How much money will it cost to raise a prize winning chow?
:? /:)
Thanks in advance I am only 13 but getting my fur friend ready to go. So sorry if i piled a lot of questions on you. Haha. All these questions keep going through my mind seeing as I want to show my chow but don't know how to do it quite yet.

~chow master
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Showing

Post by Victory »

I know only two things; it is a lot of work, and the chow can't be spayed/neutered for AKC shows.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I do show Rory, so i will answer your questions in order, but be forewarned there are lots of other issues that you havent asked...

I show in the US, so it may be different where you are...

In the US, you could handle the dog as a Junior Handler. There are different classifications and rewards as a Junior, but that is more for the handler, not the dog. The dog needs to be 6 months in order to be consider for AKC points.

The dog cannot be neutered or spayed. AKC shows are judging breeding stock, so if they cannot breed, they are not show eligible.

No particular classes are necessary, but the dog should be well behaved around both people and other dogs. Typically, we run into shows where 1K plus dogs are entered. Obvious distractions, particularly for a chow, so he must be able to navigate that. He MUST, be able to walk comfortably on a lead, follow some walking direction, and be inspected by the judge. That will include a mouth inspection (teeth, tongue, gums), and if male an inspection of the 'working parts' (yes they will check his boy parts). For Chows, they will generally inspect on a ramp, so he/she must walk up the ramp and then stand and wait for inspection. Make sure your pup is ready to be touched and handled by a stranger.

We use a handler, so getting Rory ready meant making sure he was accepting of a 2nd family. We are very careful that he understands the difference. We use a different collar and lead, and different reward treats so that he knows the difference between show and home. If might be extreme, but we dont want him confused.

As for cost, that will vary quite a bit. Count on, on average, $30/day just for the show entry fee. As stated, we use a handler, and if you can walk your dog through the show, you can save about $70-$100 per show day. If you are lucky enough to have Shows close to you, you wont incur hotel expenses (if you dont use a handler or want to watch you dog in the ring). Finally, how the dog scores points...in the AKC, expect your Chow to earn 1 point for every Chow of the same *Censored Word* that it bests. To simplify, if 3 male Chows are entered, and yours is the best, he would earn 2 points. This can vary by region, but there are no additional points for breed win, group, or best in show. To earn a CH Designation, you must earn 15 points. The dog must get 2 Major wins (3 or more points), under 2 separate judges. We are having difficulty with the Majors as there just are enough Chows showing in our area. To get the CH, we are going to have to travel greater distances, which of course is more $.

If you need any more info, send me an Email. Your location could make a big difference in how it all works, but i will try to get you the best info.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Is that why you said you may be in the MD area? If the show is close enough, let me know. Do they allow spectators (dogs and humans alike?) I've never been to a dog show and would love to experience one and get to cheer you and Rory on!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ty, yes they allow spectators. Both human and Chow friends. Rory is currently sidelined due to a knee sprain. We had to pull him from this weeks shows. I am currently looking for other shows and hoping to schedule something real soon. Rory hasnt shown for over a month now, and that seems to be a bit too long. Like everything, repetition and consistency are best so that they dont forget.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Show dogs are never neutered because it will defeat the purpose. Once a dog is a champion, it becomes champion line so all puppies borne by that dog or sired by will command a price higher than the garden variety. I mean pet types. So it is imperative that your puppy is a registered one, pedigreed. Grooming you can learn along with your chow while still a puppy. He can learn to handle the bath times, brushing, nail clipping and blow drying thing while you learn how to do those also. Heeling is imperative and basic commands are a must even before you intend to show. I don't show my chow. I don't have time for that. If you start now, you'd be a pro by the time you are 18 years old and who knows, you might have some champion stud dogs whose service will be much sought after and commands a premium price based solely on his champion status. Same goes to female but females if they got preggy would need some getting back into shape before showing. Some (I hate) would pile on trophies and the would turn the champion dam into a puppy making machine well into old age.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

First search for dog trainers in your area that have conformation classes. They are usually group classes that are between$5-$10 per session. They will show you how to square up your dog and touch your dog like judges would. Then go to a couple of shows and maybe enter a b match first at one of the shows. B matches are for anyone and they are after the show on one of the days. You can enter on the day of the show and they are about $5.

Good luck and have fun.

Brutus