Poor Harry

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Poor Harry

Post by Judy Fox »

Harry, our black and white cat is at the vet's surgery at the moment. He has a lump on the inside of his left thigh. We noticed it on Tuesday and immediately took him to the vet.
It is going to be removed and I am afraid it may be cancerous as was the lump on his ear two years ago.
He was not happy this morning to be put into his carrier.
Anyway, the vet nurse has just telephoned to say that the pre-op blood tests are ok and they are going to X ray him and then get on with the surgery.
I hope he will be ok.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Poor Harry

Post by Rio »

Poor Harry, hope he gets the all-clear and its nothing serious.
Keep us updated please, my kitties send hugs.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Hi Judy,
So sorry to hear about Harry. Is he very old? Hope all goes well with the surgery and it is nothing serious.

Fingers and paws crossed here (Although I didn’t tell Whitby I was asking her to cross her paws for a good outcome for a cat).

Please keep us updated
Take care
Pam
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Sending good wishes and thoughts Judy. I hope all is well xxxx
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Poor Harry .. I hope all goes well. I know the waiting is tough, hang in there..
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you everybody. :)

Harry is now home. The vet nurse telephoned me again at 3.00 p.m. to say that the x-rays showed nothing abnormal and they went ahead with the surgery and removed the lump. It will be sent off to the lab on Monday morning but I expect it will be cancerous. She told me that he was tucking into something to eat and I could pick him up at 5.00 p.m.

When I went to pick him up they brought him through to me and he miowed at me and put his paw through the grille in his carrier. When we got home Matilda and Maisie were desperate to see him and when he came out of his carrier we had to hold them back - they wagged at him and once everybody had settled down, they kissed him and Maisie is now lying in the kitchen with him as he is curled up on a kitchen chair tucked under the table.

He can't go out but is desperate to do so and has to go for a check up on Monday.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Glad to hear he is safely home with you and settled back down with his fur family. They prefer their familiar surroundings.
Fingers and paws crossed here for a good result from the biopsy. xxx
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Glad you home back with your mummy and fur siblings.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes I am glad he is home but the little tike gave us a scare early this morning!
At about 5.oo a.m. Tilly and Maisie started to huff and puff and were not happy about something outside. Fred got up with them and then they decided to go out to spend a penny so Fred let them out into the back garden - Harry took his chance and was out like a shot. The vet said not allowed out for a day or two! :shock:
I got up to help and he was nowhere to be seen so we all went back to bed. I got up at 8.00 a.m., let the girls out and he saunters in. He immediately wanted some food then he curled up on Mabel's mat and went to sleep - it is not 4.30 p.m. and he has just woken up - and he wants to go out! :lol: Not if I can help it! :P
He is nearly twelve yrs. old and should know by now that you do as the vet says. It is absolutely tippling down with rain and I don't want him out! 8)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Have you told him he is grounded? :) The little devil.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Missed this as it happened Judy. I hope the lump is not cancerous or at the very most not a serious type. 12 isn't really that old for a cat these days.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

No Victory, 12 is no particularly old for a cat and Harry is 12 going on 6 months! :lol: He is a funny cat and still thinks he is a kitten - he runs up and down the trees and teases the girls by going the other side of the fence and the hedges in the back garden and poking his paws through at them. He loves them though and they love him. He curls up to sleep with Mabel.
I think the lump will prove to be cancerous as was the lump on his left ear two and a half years ago. He is fine today and I have to take him to the vet for a check up tomorrow afternoon. So I think we have Harry for a while yet! :wink:
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi Judy,
Just read all the drama you're having with Harry. How did you get on wth his check up? Or am I too early?
Hope all is good news.
Paws and licks to you all.
Hugo x
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hmmph!

As Mabel would say!

Harry's appointment with the vet is at 3.00 p.m. It is now 12.42 p.m. and we have not seen him since about 10.00 a.m.! :D

So whether he gets to see the vet all depends on if he turns up. I have got his carrier ready and hidden in the dining room but I think he heard the vet nurse tell me on Friday that he had to go back today! :lol:

Watch this space. :mrgreen:
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, Judy I bet Harry surely knows and is hiding.. My cat could smell that carrier a mile away and the last time she hid up in the box spring of the spare bedroom bed. She pulled the liner (cloth stapled to the box spring) just enough to get her self in there and I looked every where and couldn't find her finally she got hungry..but that was her hiding spot for awhile before I noticed a lump in the lining hanging down once when I looked under the bed..hummm tricky little fellows aren't they.. Good luck hope Harry decides to come out of hiding..
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well - mission accomplished - Harry has had his check up! \:D/

2.50p.m. I telephoned the vets and told them he had gone walkabout so it was left I would telephone them when Harry turned up. so at 4.50 p.m. I got the girls' dinner ready and we took it outside to feed them on the lawn. I made a big fuss of calling them for their dinner even though they were all there. I had a few funny looks from them as they were all there but not to worry, Harry always turns up when the girls get fed and waits for his own food. Sure enough, he came sauntering in through the hedge and into the kitchen - I followed him, picked him up and into his carrier before he knew what had hit him! =D= =D=

We got to the vets - I was still in my slippers :shock: and the good news is Mr. Snelling, the vet who operated on Harry showed me his x-rays and there was nothing there at all to worry about. He pointed out the lump he had taken out and told me that the way it was made up he does not think it is cancerous so hopefully and results from the lab will confirm that.

Harry has to go again next Monday just for a final check. So, we made the appointment for 5.00 p.m. again so that I can repeat todays procedure! :wink:
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Pheww, lets hope the vet is right, (they usually are with things like this as they see so many) fingers, paws and whiskers crossed.
Harry quit playing Houdini with mummy, it's not funny!!!!
Footnote from my kitties;
psssst Harry, your mummy wants to take you to vets next week so find a good spot to hide in, tee-hee.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Good news! Great to hear. Reading your post about Harry doing the disappearing act brings back memories for me too when I had 2 persian cats who who do the same every time I had to take them to the dr's. Fortuneately they didn't need to go there too often in their 18 years of life.

Enjoy the garden Harry.
x
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hello Ms Judy. I do wish Harry will be better and hope it is not cancer lump. I didn't know cats have such a sense of humor and are excellent escape artist. And intelligent. Me never had cats. I like cats but got afraid I'll get hurt if they dont wanna be picked up as when I saw a cat extend its claw from her front paws like a warning. So I thought I might as well stay away from cats altogether.
Regards to 3 M's and to Harry Houdini
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Harry is a cheeky fella - he ate his dinner and winged for more and last evening he lolled around all pleased with himself. He watched me put his carrier back in the shed so I bet the little tike thinks that is it! :wink: Well next Monday is a long way away! :lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Excellent news for Harry. We sometimes forget that our pets can get lumps that are not serious. I have been following your thread, but thought I would wait to post when you knew the results. I hope you sport smart slippers when you are out and about!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

My slippers are quite nice - but I wish I would remember to change them when I go out - I went to the local small supeermarket the othere day with them on. They are so comfortable! :lol:
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Judy Fox will you just leash that wayward cat of yours! Go to your floss bin and find a nice round ball of yarn, tie one end of the string onto your kitchen table, tie the other end on Harry cat's collar. When he ventures off to parts unknown, reel Mr. Whimsy in! :D So glad all went well!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

So glad to hear that Harry is feeling better and back to his cheeky self. Hopefully the lab tests will confirm there is nothing to worry about.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

What a wonderful idea Zhuyos Mom - I had not thought about - only thing is would my ears stand the cattawauling and howls of protest! :|
Cocoa - I hope the lab tests are good news - problem is Harry is still a grown up cat who thinks he is a kitten and has already started teasing the girls through through the hedge again.
We saw very little of him yesterday after Monday's fun and games. I called him when the girls had their dinner and put his dinner down. He did not appear but the back door was open and about half an hour later he had been in eaten his dinner and disappeared and we did not see him. Then last night when we were locking up to go to bed we noticed he was curled up asleep on a kitchen chair under the kitchen table. :lol: