Nest

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Nest

Post by Sojourner11 »

Often when I am traveling for work, or even when I am working here locally, I worry about the temperature in the house. And when the seasons change, sometimes I am running the heat at night and the A/C in the day. Either way it has always been a point of worry. I just don't want it to get too hot for the gang, or even too cold.

Yesterday I was troubleshooting an issue with my HVAC at home and decided that the thermostat might be the culptit and went to buy a new one. There at the home store I saw that you can now buy a web enabled Thermostat called Nest. It connects out via your Wi-Fi, and can be controlled anywhere via the web portal, or of course an app for your smartphone. It even learns your habits of turning the t-stat up and down and will eventually adjust itself, if you want. It has a nice bid color LCD readout, easy to use dial to set the temp, and other bells and whistles which I haven't even gotten too. Pretty cool! (no pun intended)

It is pricey, but for the peace of mind I think will be worth it. I installed it, programmed it, set up my Nest account, and set up the app on my phone in less than 45 minutes.

http://www.nest.com

Now I just need that web enabled camera to see what they really do when I'm gone. :D
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Nest

Post by Rio »

Sounds like an excellent idea, hope it proves worth the money. As for seeing what they do you can buy babycams that can upload directly to a dedicated website, which you can then view, I will try to remember the name of the product. Failing that buy a couple of cheap camcorders that record to sd-card and place them around the house.
There are more expensive ways to view through the day, it just depends how much you are willing to spend to watch your babies.
The high end ranges are usually incorporated into home-security systems.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

The night Solo got sick I had my SUV rifled through, and my wallet and GPS was stolen. I looked at many camera systems out there but none seemed to fit all the criteria I was looking for without breaking the bank.

But this nifty gadget is the best thing I have done to my house since the pet door was installed. Best thing is that it was easy to install and is easy to use. It may even save me the cost of itself in energy savings as well as the peace of mind it brings.

If I find a web-cam system that is easy to install, affordable and easy to use then I will let you know.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I will have a nosey around the internet when I get a spare few minutes, (or I can just ask a close friend who owns own securtiy firm)