A quick good laugh

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

A quick good laugh

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hey All,
After a long day and eating dinner at 9:30!! Jay took Clover to her 1st night of advanced training.. They gave an outline and hand-outs of the 'curriculum' which the majority of focus is the CGC test ....

Test 1 - 'Accepting a friendly stranger' ...... Allow a friendly stranger to approach ...without sign of resentment... Or break position....

Test 2 - 'Sitting politely for petting' ....... Same as above but petting ....

Other tests I am confident that she will be fine and complete with out issue ..... However getting through these first 2.....

Thought you all would get a good laugh :-)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: A quick good laugh

Post by Rio »

LOL there should be wiggle room for Chows, more like, Seeing a stranger, calculating whether stranger is 'friendly',deciding if stranger is worthy of 'friend' tag. Move if stranger looks shady.

same with test 2 but more like squatting for petting,sniffing air before they get too close, sniffing hand before they even go near fur, and maybe a little stroke under the chin, but don't push your luck matey I hardly know you!!
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

HAHAH! Totally true!

If that was our boy Tyson, these would be his thoughts...

Test 1 - I sniff you to see if I accept you, I approach you, you don’t approach me and hell yeah I’ll break position, you’re the stranger fool!

Test 2 - I will raise my chest at you and you better come at me slow.. I will let you know when you can pet me..

He's also good at " I pretend I don't hear you if I don't want you".
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

CGC is a tough test, particularly for a chow. If the evaluator also runs the training class, they get to know the dog, and allow a bit of 'wiggle room'. They can use their previous experiences with the pup to 'grade on a curve'. Not all, but some.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

The 'advanced' class is just the next progression of training.. which keeps her active with commands...and keeps her busy ;-) ... it just happens to be the focus of the class, did not specifically sign her up for it, it is just a possible benefit!
She is so so obedient in many many ways... however the 3 obstacles we do have is .... letting strangers come up to her/pet her, on a continous basis .... and barking at people that come in our house... so it is def. going to be a challenge for her to get through the training for the 1st 2 ! ;-)
The trainer is usually impressed with her obedience and how quickly she gets it... and i never even quesition if she isnt capable of getting it 1st try... but these 2 are going to be our 'big hurdles' !! ;-)
Maybe it was being tired ... but sat down and was excited to review ... read the 1st 2 and just started laughing hysterically out loud ha.... !
We shall see!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Clovers_Mom, my two are pretty good in public. Ursa is a bit withdrawn at times, but if I have them sit and someone will approach from the front slowly, they do quite well. Now they will definitely alert at anyone coming to the house. Bottom line is that it is their home, and they are not sure that outsiders should be allowed. We actually introduce them to visitors so that they will accept them.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Petting/strangers and pple coming to our house.. Not to say that we don't try every chance we get. These 3 things have been the hardest to have her change her attitude on... Everything else has come which seems very natural and easy to her...thanks for the feedback!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Let me know if you are going to go for the CGC...we are close enough we can be practice strangers...with no fear of chows, it could be good practice.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I think we will. Since the trainings focus is on it, then it would be a shame to waste the training, plus i think it would be 'againest the stereotype' that a Chow passed the CGC test- which is just great in my mind!
We just started last week, and to be honest, I wasnt able to go, Jay brought her. (1st class, I have missed through puppy & intermediate!) I want to make sure i make it to the following 5 classes.
Do you have the '10 tests'? I assume they are online, but if not readily accessable I can scan in the handout and email it to you.
Sounds like a great idea! Now ... the free time....
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

There have been a few members who have successfully trained their Chows for the CGC. It depends a lot on the Chow's personality. It cetrtainly can be done. Let us know how it goes. I had one who was CGC material, but I never followed through.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Keep on with the classes. great for socializing Clover. Sadly, we have missed quite a few due to show schedules, but at least Rory gets an alernate atmosphere.

My biggest issue with these group classes has been the other dogs and their owners. Now, mind you, Rory gets very distracted with the smells and what not, but always behaves. On a few occasions though, we have run into other dogs that need aggression training. And without fail, they have owners that need basic dog handling instruction.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Clover- I haven't been on for like a week actively enough to reply to this due to excessive wedding planning. BEST OF LUCK! Please let me know how it goes and if you come up with any tricks to help with your "hurdles" because these are the ones we will have trouble with. I eventually want to get Tiberius to pass the CGC as well, kind of for the same reason. Proof that Chows are in fact good dogs, good enough to have documentation of their goodness. I don't think I can break Ty of barking at strangers at the door. I really don't want to in our neighborhood. Guarding isn't the main reason I got him, but it is a huge benefit. He sounds very ferocious behind that door and I want him to deter anyone from even thinking of breaking into the condo. Most of the shady people around here are already afraid of him (no reason, except if they're walking around at night and we pass by them Ty will start huffing and growling. If it were day he probably wouldn't even acknowledge them, but night time is different) and I want to keep it that way.