The price of a dog bite

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The price of a dog bite

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have read it a million times (ok, slight exageration), and have lived it repeatedly. Chows are not similarly aggressive to other bad rep breeds. yes, they will bite, but only as a last resort to protect themselves, property, or family (pack). Given the choice, a chow will take an agressive stance, bark and growl...and give the offender a chance to back down. Once cornered however, that is when it happens.

Your average, everyday, normally sociallized Chow felt it had no other choice. Sounds like your daughter put that upon the dog, and it sounds like this is repeated behavior.

My daughter is assumedly much younger than yours. Our Rory "tolerates" her handling of him because he adores her. I stress tolerates. If anyone else picked him up and put him in an upside down, vulnerable position, he would react. My older son, who does not reside in the house, likes to rough-house with him, and my daughter mimics this. We warn her against this, and do not allow tug-of-war type games...and all for the reactions by our pup that you have unfortunately experienced.

This definitely is not an issue with the dog. It is a reaction to being improperly treated. We try to never allow agressive play. I think if similar treatment to what you describe happened to a child, it would be considered inappropriate.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Chowmomma wrote: ...I've even joked and called him my emo dog, was provoked and retaliated with a bite to my daughter's face, I was only a few seconds before that explaining to her that he does not like it when she lays on him and holds him down that it scares him. She proceeds to say "like this" and he immediately responded.... In no way do I blame my chow, let me explain, my daughter is 26 years old, and knows better. This is the same daughter who a few weeks ago shoved my little black chow off of my sofa and dislocated her hip. ... She isn't a good mother and I want her to leave however I do not want her to move and take baby....I don't know what to do, I don't trust her around my chows or around my grandbaby...HELP

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
I think you should guide your daughter first on being a good mommy. Seemed you didn't gave her a memo for that, now she is a mom herself and in your words "not a good mother". Please dont give the chows access to the baby/ or toddler. Just don't. It may be bigger problem and with what you have now, I guess you dont want to add up to the pile by being confident that the chows will not accidentally hurt the baby.
Ursa's daddy wrote:Chowmomma, it sounds like you need to do some human training about proper treatment of dogs. Some people just don't get it, like the TV announcer that got bit by the dog when she failed to listen to the dog's warnings. People need to pay attention.
Problem here is people (in the US?) treat dogs as if they understand human words!. No matter what "happy voice" you are voicing , dog who does not want your face near him will do just that. So after many stitches away, that tv host will think thrice before going mushy mushy with any dog (stranger that is) again.
Sirchow wrote:Sadly it sounds like you have a lot on your hands and while we can offer help and suggestions here for chow problems it sounds as though yours are far bigger than that and the helpless members of your household are suffering. This will no doubt spread to the baby as well :( I hope there are some authorities you can turn to, to get some help and support for what ever the situation is there.
I hope also.
Rory's Dad wrote: Given the choice, a chow will take an agressive stance, bark and growl...and give the offender a chance to back down. Once cornered however, that is when it happens.

Your average, everyday, normally sociallized Chow felt it had no other choice. Sounds like your daughter put that upon the dog, and it sounds like this is repeated behavior.

This definitely is not an issue with the dog. It is a reaction to being improperly treated. We try to never allow agressive play. I think if similar treatment to what you describe happened to a child, it would be considered inappropriate.
FOR ME, it is still inappropriate even to an adult human. What choice to be given? Can't get it. We can't pre set up what's going to happen. Some chows I heard does not give any warning. remember Myyogibearm?
It is my firm belief that dogs should be taught to accept some degree of physical rough handling without retaliating with a bite. so for me, it is an issue with the dog. BUT the daughter has BIGGER issue since she did not only understand her mom, she has to DEMONSTRATE it for her mom so that she is really sure she understood her mom's caution. AND the chow helped to make it clear to her by demonstrating what he'll do if she ever do that again to him. NOW I am sure the daughter is 110% sure she heard her mom just right.
BTW, I think the chow took its hint or cue from Chowmomma when she admonished her daughter not to do that. Guess the dog felt the owner is also pissed with the way the daughter is handling him.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

It is my firm belief that dogs should be taught to accept some degree of physical rough handling without retaliating with a bite.
Cam, as a training objective, this is a good objective, but this is not the current case with Chowmomma.
This thread is beginning to wander, and perhaps we need to start a new thread.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Cam Atis wrote:
Chowmomma wrote: It is my firm belief that dogs should be taught to accept some degree of physical rough handling without retaliating with a bite. so for me, it is an issue with the dog.
Cam--what you don't get because you have very little real experience of chows is that because they are short muzzled breed, being pinned down by the weight of an adult human can kill them. Quickly. Chowmomma's boy is very handsome, but he has a shorter broad muzzle the is somewhat wrinkled, this points to the fact that he most likely is also a stocky built chow with a broad deep chest, this is the kind of chow that will go into respitory arrest if pinned, [held down] the wrong way. Every dog has the right and should have the will to protect itself from harm. Chowmomma's daughter who is 26 years old, (well over the age where she should know better) already dislocated the hip of her female chow. The daughter is at fault here, not the chow and not chowmomma. I personally do not allow ANY rough housing by anyone with my chows, you can pet them, brush them, walk them, take them for a run, throw their toys to them for a game of fetch, (yes mine do fetch), you can even cuddle them. However, if you start a game of keep away, (calling them to you and then pushing them away) violent wrestling, holding them against their will etc, then you have to answer to me, and I guarantee it won't be pleasent, nor will you ever be allowed around me and my chows again. I will acknowledge that I really, really, don't like most humans, and usually it's because humans are cruel, devious, nasty, hedionistic parasites who think they can do whatever they want to whomever they want and not pay any consequences. There are always consequences and when you mistreat a canine, you get bit, tough. Mistreat a feline you get clawed, too bad, mistreat a equine and you can get kicked, so sad.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

chowpups wrote: ....... so now her home owners have upped the cost to her ........
Its possible my Homeowners Ins. has had many suites againest them... When I called my local agent to inform them of Clover.. when they called the 'parent' Ins. Co. They told them, that since I was an existing customer, then it is accepted to add Clover to our policy, however if there is an instance then my H.owner insurance coverage will automatically be dropped... That was a reality check of the stringent training I must instill in Clover, but also- the reality of owning a Chow or really any dog ...

and yes... although I am a usa resident, and proud of the small percentage of people in the usa who live thier lives with morals, respect, and an abilty to listen.. opposed to hear themselves talk.. - the greed, narrow minded-ness, and bigger is better, mass produced crap attitude of the rest disguists me ....
Sometimes I wish Jay would apply for dual citizenship in the Azores, but then I guess my MA accent would be really out of place ha-ha......
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Clovers_Mom wrote:
chowpups wrote: ....... so now her home owners have upped the cost to her ........
That was a reality check of the stringent training I must instill in Clover, but also- the reality of owning a Chow or really any dog ...

and yes... although I am a usa resident, and proud of the small percentage of people in the usa who live thier lives with morals, respect, and an abilty to listen.. opposed to hear themselves talk.. - the greed, narrow minded-ness, and bigger is better, mass produced crap attitude of the rest disguists me ....
Sometimes I wish Jay would apply for dual citizenship in the Azores, but then I guess my MA accent would be really out of place ha-ha......
It used to be in this country that if you were of an age to know better and you went onto someone else's property where it was posted or not that they had a dog and you got bit because you entered without permission, it would be your own dang fault and the opinion was too bad. When I was young we had a collie, Blaze was a big collie over 100lbs, we had to give him away when we moved, and he went to this nice man and woman who wanted him as a companion for her mother who was home alone most of the day. They posted a sign on their fence and gate that warned people that there was a dog roaming the yard. One day this salesman, decided to ignore the sign and stuck his hand through the release hole to open the gate, he hadn't heard Blaze growling right there, (Blaze in guard mode had an almost supersonic growl, very low and deep in his chest almost just a vibration) Blaze clambed down on the guy's wrist and just held on. He was in full on protect mode and the older lady was a bit hysterical and Blaze wouldn't release the guy, because he thought she needed protecting, she had to call her son-in-law, who when he got there ordered Blaze to back off, (which he did). The family was not libable for anything, the guy had ignored two warning signs and as far as the police, (who came too finally) were concerned, got what he deserved. The family didn't even have to pay medical bills, and Blaze got lots and lots of praise for a job well done. Today if that happened he'd be in quarentine and the family would be looking at serious finacial loss.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You are so right Victory. Countless similar stories, and there is no way the dogs are to blame. And in most cases, it is not the dog owner either. Dogs protect their territory. For some breeds, protection and security are their main purpose.

Recently we had a news story here where 3 police dogs were removed from service for aggressive behavior. My 1st thought was really? Then i began to wonder about the officers that handled them. Who should be sent to psych analysis?
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Agreed.....
If everyone used the 'common sense' rule then so many incidents, lawsuits, and injuries could be avoided! ....however.....
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Clovers_Mom wrote:Agreed.....
If everyone used the 'common sense' rule then so many incidents, lawsuits, and injuries could be avoided! ....however.....
Bull's eye! I could not agree more.