snapping turtle digging up my mulch in garden

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

snapping turtle digging up my mulch in garden

Post by chowpups »

Okay does anyone know how I can get a Mommy snapping turtle to leave my yard.. I think she has dug a hole in the mulch to lay her eggs (if she hasn't already). I worry cause my g.kids play out there and I don't need baby turtles in my pool either.. Why couldn't it have been a chow who wandered in to have her pups .. That would have been so much more welcomed..
IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG (102.74 KiB) Viewed 6592 times
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: snapping turtle digging up my mulch in garden

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Wow... That's scary Nancy! I'm not a fan of snapping turtles... All I can think of is to contact animal control and they should be able to help you out since it's posing a threat.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

She now in less than minutes has dug her self completely under and just her head is poking out..I know nothing about turtles but my friend said they could do some damage to a child sticking it's fingers too close..I really don't want a bunch of turtles in my yard with my little guy playing or in my pool either..I know they are fresh water things but the pool is sometimes very inviting??LOL.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.. I called animal control but no answer just leave a message.. It's a pretty big Momma, I took that pic from pretty far away Iam a chicken when it comes to those type animals..
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

If animal control doesn't get back to you - perhaps call a local restaurant and ask them if they would like to put "Turtle Soup" on their menu. :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

The only thing I can think of is to look up a pest control company... :?
Jess
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Animal control called back..Said ahhhh, how nice???? Just leave her alone and she'll leave ???? Not what I wanted to hear ,but he said she won't stay long!! He said they would charge me for coming out and she will probably be gone before they got to us. And she might go for a swim but really isn't looking for a chlorine pool, she'd prefer fresh water..( well let me go drain my chemical pool for her and get fresh water, NOT) I guess he's trying to tell me that Iam over reacting!!! I guess so, they are just so ugly not cute in anyway...green moss on her shell. Mulch on her head, hissing and snapping at the air ,she needs a good scrubbing!!!! But not by me!!!!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Could you maybe (with a little help) dig out the nest , transfer to a box and find her a new home near a local pond/lake? Extract her like a tree (allow for roots/or in this case eggs) or move house lol
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I thought of that I have a big snow shovel, and a box but like other wild life I wasn't sure if I did that if it would endanger the babies? She really isn't very friendly. Animal control told me they are more aggressive on land and especially if she is nesting which she definitely is..I called my neighbor who is elderly and warned him to be alert in his tomatoe garden ( they like tomatoes). he 93 yrs old and gets around in his garden on his knees due to a leg problem. I will see with my husband tonight if we can move her to the creek area down the road.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Just went out to move her and she's gone...No sign of her anywhere??? I liked it better when I knew where she was, I don't like surprises as I garden! Oh, we'll ..
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Hopefully, she's gone far far away and you don't have to worry about her.
Jess
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Turtles don't stay by their nest, so she probably won't come back. I did not know they lived that far north. Don't disturb the eggs, because if they are moved it will probably kill the babies. They will hatch in a few weeks, and will head out for some water. They will be maybe two or three inches long and won't be able to do a lot of damage should they bite. You can pick them up if you get them from behind. Tell your gkids to look but don't touch.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Thanks for that info I thought you should just leave them, the way she dug into the mulch I thought she was staying!!
Thank you for that info.
We do have snappers and box turtles up here very common...Just I haven't seen one that close up !!!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I haven't seen very many snapping turtles, and they have always been in the water. We have a number of box turtles around, and I have seen many of them dig in their eggs over the years. The terriers go absolutely crazy when they find one, but they really can't do much with it. Of course, the activity attracts Ursa, who then brings it up on the deck. That then starts a big bark fest, and I have to rescue the turtle to restore peace and quite.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Put a makeshift fence around the area you saw her dig in. so as not to disturb the eggs. So the animal control man is correct about his assessment! Your problem is if that she-turtle get to talk to her friends about a great place she found, great to lay their eggs on. :-)
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

I love turtles, sounds really sweet. Hope they rehome soon.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

But that's a snapping turtle!!!
We got 4 snakehead turtles and we loved them. They dont get lost as they know with us they have steady supplies of green leafy veggies.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Snapping turtles pretty much stay in the water, so it probably will not be back. The box turtles are land dwellers, and stay around. My mother-in-law used to put lettuce out for one that would come visit her.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Yes, Mrs. turtle has left the premises..She covered up the hole she made so Iam assuming there may be eggs there. I don't want to disturb the mulch . We have a very small creek across the street so Iam sure that's where she came from. the animal protection guy said they will come up on land to lay the eggs and look for a safe place. We have a lot of wild life in our yards, fox, groundhogs, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, snakes, rabbits,frogs, hawks, cranes, moles owls so the chances of those eggs making it are slim the guy said. We probably never had them come so close to us because we always had a chow to say this is my yard go somewhere else. Since Nikki's passing we are seeing how much she tended to the yard..