Chow as a Cow: Grazing

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow as a Cow: Grazing

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum loves to eat grass. He will drag me around from patch to patch, and sometimes it's near impossible to get him to stop foraging for the tastier looking blades sticking up amongst the rest of the field. It is cute until he eats it to the point of him vomiting. Thankfully he doesn't do that too often.

Does your Chow like to pretend he is a cow?
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow as a Cow: Grazing

Post by Rio »

Crikey yes! Rio loves the stuff especially after it has rained and the grass is clean, he pretends not to be chewing it but usually has a long piece hanging from his mouth when trying to deny chewing ;)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

there are many reasons a dog will eat grass, Nikki did it alot when food didn't agree with her or her pills were making her feel ill, just google it and you'll see a number of reasons why they eat it.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Yeah, I know all the theories about dogs eating grass. I'm pretty certain Dim Sum eats it not because he is feeling deprived from his food or that he feels ill. I just think my guy enjoys it.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Dogs eating grass is actually quite common (it has been observed in wild dogs, too, and may be completely natural) and this form of pica does not usually cause too many problems. In fact, most veterinarians consider it a normal dog behavior. One small-scale study of 49 dog owners whose dogs had regular access to grass and other plants found that 79% of the dogs had eaten plants at some time. Another survey about plant-eating dogs found that grass was the most commonly eaten plant.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

My dogs eat grass from time to time. But not every grass. They'd choose. And not a lot. I suspect they eat it to treat their stomach trouble because they, especially Cookie who used to had most of my attention, had a grumbling sound coming from their stomach. She'd pick up grass and then eat it.
If your dog eats too much that you are convinced maybe he thinks he is a cow, I have not met one like Dim Sum with regards to the amount of grass eaten to the point of vomiting, dont you think you ought to pay a visit to a doggy psychologist and explain to Dim Sum that much to his dismay but truth be told, he is a dog? :lol:
squintero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by squintero »

Julie loves to eat grass. She also likes nibbling on leaves.

And if she sees some dirt she likes to pounce around in it. She looks like a cute baby doing it so I leave her be.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Our Kimba was a very picky grass eater. It couldn't be mowed or clipped it had to be TALL and LUSH. She was older and not leashed so she could "hunt" for the very best blades. She never wandered far but I think it's funny how picky she was.

Leo and Max, however, are big grass eaters. Max will actually eat blades, roots, dirt and all. What's the most fun is that once he's got a nice size clod, he flips it up in the air and plays with it. Sometimes he catches it, sometimes he let's it fall and then pounces on it. He's very cat-like in this and if I was only quicker I could get a video of it. It's truly precious. Leo, he's just a grass eater, although lately he's enjoyed munching on the extra pine from the fence my husband just built.

The best sign to be sure Leo and Max have just had a grass snack ... they usually have leftovers on their brusk. I can look at either of them and say, [hands on hips] "Have you just been eating grass," to which the only reply I receive are happy little smiles and waggley fluffy tails. They don't bother hiding the evidence ... they just lick/eat it off each other. Truly brothers to the bone!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Clover likes the tufts of grass ... also moss .... alot .... no upset stomach... just enjoys eating/playing with it...
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Here’s my 2 cents. Back when I was growing up my parents and grandparents told us that when we saw one of our dogs eating grass it was because the dog had an upset tummy and soon after they eat the grass they will throw-up. Sure enough – the dog did throw up.

Fast forward. I rescued my beloved Chloe when she was two years old and was blessed to have her for 13 years. She followed suit. Every time she would eat grass soon afterward she would sit down for a few minutes and then I knew what was going to happen next. She would start heaving and then throw up.

I guess the dogs from my childhood and Chloe must have been from the old school and train of thought regarding eating grass for a medicinal purpose.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I posted a couple of years ago about my cow chow, he loves it now the grass has grown lush and fresh again, he did have a few nibbles at the brown stuff just before it went green this spring, I just view it snack time when he goes off for a quick graze during our walks.
Thank you Sweatpea
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Grazing? :shock: Why I don't know what you're talking about. I just like to get my dose of greens every once in a while. You know, a little extra fiber now and again.

Nevermind that mom put my rain coat on to keep me mostly dry in the pouring down rain and I just laid down in the soaking wet grass. And nevermind that I'm just taking my time at the most inconvenient of times O:)

*Nom nom nom* :D
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Ty, Cocoa is just like you, plops down on the long grass and just rips it out, most of the time rolling over on her back while she is enjoying her salad, such a dignified girl. :lol:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes - loves grass - all of them! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

My husband and son call our Chow the Chow Cow, they thinks it's funny to tease him by calling him Cow Legs. I know it's not funny. Anyway yes Hugo does love to eat grass like a cow too.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, I just ran across this old picture of Nikki just playing with the grass.. couldn't resist posting.. I see she left some nice bald patches .. hummmm.
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I'm innocent, I was not eating the grass, nope wasn't me.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bramble only really eats grass when she is not well and then is sick...whether they eat grass to make themselves sick I am not sure but Izzie eats grass all the time. Grazing as she goes on the longer greener leaves. When she first was in pup she ate very little food for the first three weeks but at huge amounts of grass. She was never sick so either she felt sick or she needed the vitamins. I tend to think the latter.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.