First Chow Chow Pup Questions

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

LaffysDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

First Chow Chow Pup Questions

Post by LaffysDad »

My partner gave me my first Chow Chow puppy last night. He's been the puppy's vet and knew that the puppy has had the common skin problems and a cough but otherwise he's healthy. I was expecting a lion-looking puppy but he's been shaved because of his hotspots. Anyway, Lafayette's previous owners decided to sell him because he was "bullying the bigger dogs" (which I must admit makes me giggle a bit considering he's pretty small) and didn't care for his personality. I don't think they treated him very well because since I brought him home he's stayed in the corner just watching me suspiciously. If I approach him speaking softly he'll sit up and let me pet him and pick him up. He snapped at me tonight but I think that was my fault because I didn't say anything as I reached for him. I'm just afraid that he hasn't been properly socialized to this point. And considering he's about 3 months old, is it too late to hope for a friendly, social dog? The previous owner was a professional basketball player who has lots of other dogs and said someone else gave him the puppy as a gift, so we have no idea about the temperament of his parents. I'm just a little worried.

Gosh, I've got SO MANY questions! How do I get him to take walks with me? I tried the "crate training" concept last night in our outdoor laundry room, but he pitched such a fit I thought he would bust down the door and wake up all the neighbors. What do I do?

Also, I live in the Philippines and it's incredibly hot here now as we're in the depths of summer. We don't have air conditioning, but the house stays fairly cool on the ground floor where he stays. I'm really not a fan of the "dog smell" and would like to bathe him frequently. But my partner warned me today to keep him out of the sun until he's dry because he'll literally cook when his fur grows back.

Can anyone please help me with some ideas? I tried to walk him on a leash and he won't budge. He's pretty good about going potty outside on the newspaper but he has peed and poo'd once while I wasn't around to stop him. But if he's not going to pee or poo, he's literally just laying in the corner, I guess sleeping.

I've never seen a puppy act so "old". It's been more than 24 hours now, which isn't that long, I know. But I'd think that there should be some flash of something happening by now...some warming up to me maybe? What am I doing wrong? :-/
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: First Chow Chow Pup Questions

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I don't think they treated him very well because since I brought him home he's stayed in the corner just watching me suspiciously. If I approach him speaking softly he'll sit up and let me pet him and pick him up. He snapped at me tonight but I think that was my fault because I didn't say anything as I reached for him. I'm just afraid that he hasn't been properly socialized to this point. And considering he's about 3 months old, is it too late to hope for a friendly, social dog?
It is definitely not too late to hope for a friendly, social dog. However, it will take a lot of work. My experience is that chows require continued social interaction if you want them to be well socialized. Breeding which ignores the social part of their personality has lead to many dogs that are overly suspicious of interacting with people. You may be right about why your dog snapped at you. Last night, my son came home late. Malachi, my male, did not know who was at the door and came charging to confront the intruder. My son called him, and we had a dog wagging his tail in greeting. Sounds like your dog needs a lot of love and socialization. If you are willing to do this, you can have a really good friend and companion.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Just to add, first, you are wrong saying you dont care about his personality. If there is anything you should watch out in a purebred chow, it is his personality (being cute being bossy could be a horrid aggression problem later in life)
He snapped at you, you must reprimand. I dont know if you know how to reprimand or discipline a puppy.
Cassie my chow snapped at me and drew blood when I was feeding her lechon, but I was training her to let me get food from her mouth without fighting for it, I guess she turned a little too bossy as the other dog Blue would grab food from her as well. So since that episode, she never repeated doing that to me. What I did? I grab her by the scruff and made her understand she dont do that to mom! She was crying at the same time tail wagging - a good indication she got my message across. She was about 3 months old that time.

With regards to hotspots,
Shampoo him in Ivory soap (as my breeder told me) and rinse thoroughly so to keep hotspots away. I would towel dry cassie and she'll shake her furr and I usually brush her coat while it is still wet pincomb, then later slicker brush. DO NOT leave him in the sun to dry. You may blowdry but it is not really necessary given our country's weather right now. ALSO, you have to keep water available at all times as what i am doing with Cassie I leave a gallon of water to her.
Regarding his shyness, chows are like that. You must ignore him most of the time but keeping an eye. Talk soothingly and eventually you will earn his trust. Let him get acquainted in your surrounding. It is not unusual that he will be reluctant in walking on leash. You have to coax him with food. Yes they do behave like old dogs. So you can imagine them grumpy when they are adult. Hehehe. The vet said in Q.C.that chows easily snap. But to those they dont know they are loyal dogs and good guards as well.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I didn't answer all of your questions. Read through the forum for suggestions on leash training and house training. I have found chows pretty easy to house train, they do not want to soil where they stay. Leash training is another issue with chows. It does not come natural to them. There are many posts discussing this issue. There are also some discussions on collars and harnesses. I prefer the harness, because Chows can back out of a collar, especially young puppies that want to pull backward. My chows do not have a dog odor. If your dog has an odor, that is probably due to bacteria on the skin. Keeping our dog clean and dry will eliminate that problem. Also, chows are sensitive to various food ingredient, corn being one of them that is not good for chows. There are many discussions in the forum on these issues.
Continue to speak softly and kindly to him, and be consistent with what you do. Speak to him when you approach, especially if you are coming from the rear or a direction where he cannot easily see you. Not doing so can startle him. I have never had dogs that were so personally attached to me before I got my chows.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

LaffysDad wrote:I don't think they treated him very well because since I brought him home he's stayed in the corner just watching me suspiciously. If I approach him speaking softly he'll sit up and let me pet him and pick him up. He snapped at me tonight but I think that was my fault because I didn't say anything as I reached for him. I'm just afraid that he hasn't been properly socialized to this point. And considering he's about 3 months old, is it too late to hope for a friendly, social dog? The previous owner was a professional basketball player who has lots of other dogs and said someone else gave him the puppy as a gift, so we have no idea about the temperament of his parents. I'm just a little worried.
IMO, there are some characteristics you cannot change. People often ask me if my dog is friendly. I can never say yes, because that is just not his nature...his is cold and aloof. When people put their hand out for him to sniff, he doesn't acknowledge them. He has always been touched and will let people pet him, but if someone approaches him too quickly or tries to pet him "wrong," he lets them know. I have had him since he was eight weeks old, and he has constantly been exposed to people, but he will never be friendly.

That is not to say he won't bond to you. You have only had him for a day. Once he does get over his initial fear and suspicion, you will be able to reach for him without his snapping. It is the casual encounters with strangers where you might need to be careful. Not fearful, just careful. Just keep socializing him don't give up.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Pcc- I feel the same way, though I HATE telling people he's not because then you get the awstruck looks of, how could you not have a friendly dog and what did you do to it? Ty will acknowledge some people. We have a routine, where I tell him to "Say hi" and he'll walk up with my blessing to sniff their hands, maybe get a friendly lick, but that's all he'll offer. Unless he's met you a couple of times and you've given him treats...then he'll let you pet him and love on him. But complete strangers, no way. And I know that it can get better, but it will never be social friendly because that's just how he is. He's not mean or agressive...just not bouncy happy friendly. On the flip side, unless something scares him or makes him really nervous, he is one of the most calm and laid back dogs I've ever witnessed. Great with puppies and ok with children if he's been around them enough. I've watched a kid back him into a corner to pet him and just as I was about to intervene because I saw the signals, the kid reached out and boldly patted him on the head. He shrank back and took it, but never snapped or growled. I think he knew I was watching. Strangers kids...if they're running, particularly in our direction, he'll chuff. He knows what's expected of him, and he knows the group of children when we go to these places and while he's iffy about them, he'll behave just fine. Doesn't mean he's friendly, just...well mannered?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ah yes, semantics... My response to his he friendly?...no he's a Chow. Rory spends a good deal of time out in public, and naturally that is intentional. He is friendly to his family and 100% defensive of them. He will accept some people and ignore others completely. That is completely up to him, and something I cannot teach or train. or train. He has never been aggressive towards being patted. I can show you how to best approach him. Funny but instruction is mostly needed for adults and not children. Sometimes we will provide a treat for greeting, other times just a positive encouragement. This ties back to some Show behavior, as he needs to accept strangers approaching and touching for that (which he tolerates completely, except for an occasional backing out when his boy parts are checked...understandable).

Obviously any Chow must be practiced in the art of greeting strangers, but more so the strangers. I cant begin to tell you how many really creepy, odd, and just plain socially inept adults have reached into our puppy class ring and laid hands on my dog. The kids always ask and we are pretty agreeable.