HOA rules and regulations

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

HOA rules and regulations

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I just got a note from my son. He is moving from Cincinnati to Charlotte. I have been trying to talk him and his fiance into adopting Buddy Bear from Bellachow. The place he is going to rent won't allow pit bulls, chows and other aggressive breeds. What a crock. Now I could probably tell him that a neighborhood that discriminates against chows is not where I would like to live, but that would not change anything. Just thought I would gripe a little.
Auddymay

Re: HOA rules and regulations

Post by Auddymay »

Breed bias is a bunch of malarky. Our Mr Dillon is a big kitten, and I know plenty of ankle biters who are just that!
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

Yeah, my hannah wouldn't bite hot butter but my pom may just take your big toe off LOL

My brother's home insurance company dropped them one year because they found out my brother had a fela mastiff even though she was only 3 months old at the time but they didn't care that he had 2 pitbulls. go figure!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Its funny I ran into that with Nikki last summer about chows and insurance for rental property. they would say they rent to dogs than they would ask what kind and then they would say sorry we can't according to our insurance rent to bully breeds. But my neighbor could rent with no problem the same place with her labrador who has bitten 3 people in 2 yrs ...go figure. Nikki never bit ..
I think a dog should be judged on his bite record not his breed.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

You got to love insurance companies. Our two terriers are the dogs most likely to bite. And our Main Coon cat has bitten everyone in the family more than once. Now I will admit that if you came in the house or back yard uninvited, the chows would let you know that you should not come in. Now if you are a threat, they might bite, and I definitely will. In public, my two are well behaved, and friendly at best, and bored otherwise with meeting people.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

That's why I am thankful that when my fiance moved to MD that he bought his condo and not rented. (one of the very few) Now, I never looked into the insurance policy on our place since getting Ty...but Brian said they never asked, so one would assume no big deal?
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

Slightly Off Topic

Hannah is typical chow when she meets strangers, she is leary at first but after a person visits a few times then they are no longer considered a stranger and she relaxes with them. In some cases she actually gets excited when the person visits. However there is one exception, my sister inlaws brother. Whenever he comes around hannah freaks out, she barks, growls and if he is blocking a door way or standing in the middle of the room she will go the other direction and this is true no matter how often he comes around. In some cases she sees more of this person then she does some others that she has become fond of.

She isn't the only one who has such a stronge reaction to this person either. Once I heard murphy (my pomeranian) actually scream, I thought he was hurt so I come running in to the room only to find out that this person had reached down and petted him. That was all he did as witnessed by several other people in the room. Also my sisters dog has a stronge reaction to the same person as well but he will usually warm up to him throughout the visit, unlike hannah.

I just can't figure out why this person gives out such a negetive vibe to my dogs, but because of this I am a little bit more attentive when he is here.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

hayleedog wrote:Slightly Off Topic

Hannah is typical chow when she meets strangers, she is leary at first but after a person visits a few times then they are no longer considered a stranger and she relaxes with them. In some cases she actually gets excited when the person visits. However there is one exception, my sister inlaws brother. Whenever he comes around hannah freaks out, she barks, growls and if he is blocking a door way or standing in the middle of the room she will go the other direction and this is true no matter how often he comes around. In some cases she sees more of this person then she does some others that she has become fond of.

She isn't the only one who has such a stronge reaction to this person either. Once I heard murphy (my pomeranian) actually scream, I thought he was hurt so I come running in to the room only to find out that this person had reached down and petted him. That was all he did as witnessed by several other people in the room. Also my sisters dog has a stronge reaction to the same person as well but he will usually warm up to him throughout the visit, unlike hannah.

I just can't figure out why this person gives out such a negetive vibe to my dogs, but because of this I am a little bit more attentive when he is here.
I would watch this person as well. If only one dog had a reaction like this to him, I might put that off to the wrong soap or something. But that several dogs react to him in a fearful manner says to me that something is wrong with him, it maybe that he's actually afraid of them and tries to hide it from them, (not possible) or it may be something else
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

That's what made finding a new apartment for me so difficult. I had to first find out if they allowed dogs, then if they would okay two of them, and then if they had breed restrictions. Breed restrictions usually include, Pit-Bulls, Pit-Bull types, (Is that a breed?) Rotties, Akidas, Chows, Dobermans, GSD, Wolf hybrids, (like there are a ton of those out there!) Sometimes Huskies, Malumutes, and Boxers are included as well.

If they say yes to the first two and then yes to the third one, I would say thanks but no thanks. This complex said yes to the first two and no to the third, someone here DOES have a wolf hybrid! My two little chows are nothing compared with a 125lb Lab/wolf cross. :D By the way she is a supper sweet thing...

It is all in how they are raised, trained and watched. Last week I read an article where a two month old baby was killed by the families labador. They'd only had the 1-2 year old dog for a week, and left the baby unattended where the dog could reach it. A completely preventable tragedy.
Thank you SweetPea!
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

Victory wrote:That's what made finding a new apartment for me so difficult. I had to first find out if they allowed dogs, then if they would okay two of them, and then if they had breed restrictions. Breed restrictions usually include, Pit-Bulls, Pit-Bull types, (Is that a breed?) Rotties, Akidas, Chows, Dobermans, GSD, Wolf hybrids, (like there are a ton of those out there!) Sometimes Huskies, Malumutes, and Boxers are included as well.

If they say yes to the first two and then yes to the third one, I would say thanks but no thanks. This complex said yes to the first two and no to the third, someone here DOES have a wolf hybrid! My two little chows are nothing compared with a 125lb Lab/wolf cross. :D By the way she is a supper sweet thing...

It is all in how they are raised, trained and watched. Last week I read an article where a two month old baby was killed by the families labador. They'd only had the 1-2 year old dog for a week, and left the baby unattended where the dog could reach it. A completely preventable tragedy.
I read that story, that is so extremely sad and you're right 'preventable' in the article I read the mom had taken one child to the dr and left the baby home with dad, apparently he was sleeping but why the baby wasn't in the room with him is a mystery.

Hannah is extremely tolerant with children and small dogs but I wouldn't leave her unattended with either because you just never know what might happen.

My dog I had before murphy and hannah was a golden/ausie mix, from the time she was 6 months old she showed signs of aggressiveness. She nearly bit my one year old niece in the face because the child ran up to her. After a few close calls I started muzzling her everytime I took her on walks and out in the public. I had her for 13 years and she NEVER bit anyone. She was only 4 vweeks old when I got her so she wasn't abused but I do admit she wasn't properly socialized as a puppy. Her problem was she was afraid of everything and everybody. If someone knocked on the door when I wasn't home she wouldn't bark, she would hide behind furniture. My point is you have to know your dog before you put him/her in a situationthat may have catastrophic results.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I have never had to deal with the problem, but if I did, I think I would tell them that Dim Sum is a Pomeranian. ;)
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

PCC wrote:I have never had to deal with the problem, but if I did, I think I would tell them that Dim Sum is a Pomeranian. ;)

LOL, that too funny

I've never had Hannah mistaken for a pomeranain but I did have my pom mistaken for a chow, (a couple we met while walking) thought he was hannah's puppy LOL

One little girl thought hannah was a lion, LITERALLY
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Y'all have hijacked this and I love it. I have been asked if my two are bears. Dim Sum must be a pom with a hormone problem lol. We have had aussies, and I have know of some of them to become fear biters. I guess having that knowledge helped me out with Ursa, since I knew nothing about chows.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I was out walking Tempest, our little black girl, one afternoon after I'd brought her and Ming home from the groomer's and she had a pink bow on her head and pink bows on either side of her rear. Somehow, she managed to pull out of her collar and start towards two teenage boys who looked at me and yelled, "Is it vicious?" I'm thinking, "Good grief, guys, she's got pink bows in her hair, how vicious do you really think she is???" Anyway, I managed to corral her, got her re-hooked and away we went...
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I've had the lion and pom questions lots with Cocoa and with Buddy (he was a black) I got the bear comments all the time. A lot of people know nothing about dog breeds, I even had someone ask if she was a Chihuahua. :?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I HATE HOA... I'll NEVER live under one again. But lucky for us, they have no say is breed of dogs in our neighborhood.
PCC wrote:I have never had to deal with the problem, but if I did, I think I would tell them that Dim Sum is a Pomeranian. ;)
We actually had a member here (Bama) who moved into a rental and said that her chow, Colonel, was a giant pomeranian. :lol: I always said that if I was desperate enough, I would've said Tippsy was a giant pom. :lol: Luckily, I never had to do that, but in the future, if I have to rent a place, Jasper will be a "border collie mix" and Dixie will just become and Aussie mix. And of course, Todd's a pom, so no problem there. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

I forgot that Bama did that, and actually got away with it. People just don't know...which is why you can always say any chow is a spitz, since they are in fact members of the spitz "family" of dogs. Poms, chows, akidias, Malumutes, huskies, spitz, Norweigen Elk hounds, Samoyeds, they are all related somewhere way back...
Thank you SweetPea!