Nervously excited!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Nervously excited!

Post by reddog »

Hi Jess

I agree with Piff-poff sensible shoes (which are usually ugly) is a key factor. Years ago (in the 1970's) I was working in an office and of course back then you had to dress up and wear "heels". I walked to and from work, morning, lunchtime, and end of the day - 7 blocks
each way. After the first 2 days of that - I went out a bought a sensible pair of sneakers with good arch support. I referred to these shoes as being my go-betweens. Funniest thing - after I did that I saw a number of others doing the same thing. Like they say times change. I'm now working at another office job for a manufacturing company but fortunately I no longer have to wear heels - sneakers are worn here by almost every one and thank goodness because I'm constantly going between my office and out onto the production floor. My "dogs" are now older and need the extra comfort.

Another suggestion for the aching feet and back, beside the epsom salts bath - lie on the floor and put your legs up onto a chair or your bed for a short time - of course having a furry-kid at your side to talk to or run your fingers through the fur is an added plus for both of you.

Again Congrats on the job \:D/

Is Dixie still in hiding?

Pam
Last edited by reddog on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Sorry to hear your feet and back are killing you.. I just bought a pair of ugly sneakers for my feet and knee problems and I had to pay $140.00 for ugly.. drs. orders..anyway I told the guy they look like "little old granny sneakers" and didn't he have anything that looked alittle more stylish? So after he brought out about 5 different pairs that didn't feel as good as the old lady shoes .. my impatient husband quickly spoke up and said, "those will be just fine , cause she is a little old granny".. That was so unlike my husband , but I guess hes right. I just hope they do the trick and I am out playing kick ball with my grandson again.. and then Iam going to kick some one else for making a rude comment and being so impatient..LOL

I must admit they felt wonderful.. I walked alot further than normal..but I sure won't make any fashion statement for sure.. HEHEHE take care of your feet and knees now and avoid later consequences like mine..
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Go through it everyday I'm afraid. I have glass ankles, and bad feet. My left foot has a helluva heel spur that I've had since mid-college and it acts up a lot. I switch shoes a lot because they hurt. I think I have a psiatic (sp?) nerve issues too on my left side because my hip will freeze up, which I think has to do with my foot problem lol. Honestly, some of it you'll get used to. But yes, Epsom salts foot soaks from hot to cold water help, heating pads for the back, and if I had more time I'd do yoga and pilates. Sounds funny, and I'm not fit and the atheletic type...but when I do that, I hurt a lot less.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

TyChowgirl, I suppose you mean the sciatic nerve. I have the same problem, and I went to physical therapy, which is worth the effort. I was shown exercises to strengthen abdominal muscles and stretching exercises for my legs.
Jess, hang in there. You will get used to being on your feet, and remember, no matter what happens, quitting time will get there.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

so... how is it going? (congrats' btw) .... I do have to ask... how is the adjustment from being away from your pup? .. and of course more importantly vice versa... ?
Since I have had Clover, at the time my employment was closing, I was able to bring her to work with me... I have been unemployed for the last 4 months, Clover and I everyday.... well, we have been together Everyday.. at some point since Dec. 5th...
I am happy to say that I have accepted employement and start Monday... I have set up Clover in 'day camp' mon/wed/fri- so she will only be be herself for Tuesday and Thursday... for at least the 1st week ... she normally goes 1x a week for socialization reasons....

Did you find it was a large adjustment?
Look forward to your follow up (or anyone who has had the similiar situation)
Thanks!!!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I HATE this job... :evil: I've tried being optimistic about the place, but the permanent people do nothing but give the seasonal workers (me and some other people) dirty looks, talk down to us, and give us attitudes... And my immune system is shot due to all the crap that gets stirred up in the warehouse...

I hate being away from the pups... But they obviously don't care much... My mom's home with them now (she lost her job the Monday after I started the job...) and they get a bunch of attention from her, plus a bunch of outside time. I think it's been a bigger adjustment for me than for them.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Sorry you don't like your job. Keep applying for new ones while your working, sometimes it's easier to get a new job while your employed.
Thank you Sweatpea
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Jess, hang in there. A lot of people hate their jobs. I worked 20 years at a job which I liked for the most part, but had a number of people that I did not care for. They made the job difficult. I often reminded myself that the hardest part was showing up, and that no matter what happened, quitting time would always come. You can do this. Like Piff Poff said, keep applying for other jobs. It is always easier once you have a job.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Jess, you have got to hang in there for the duration!
To quit will not look good on your CV - the attitude you are experiencing is not unusual and the best way of dealing with it is to smile and think of nice things.
Those people who take the attitude you are experiencing are probably not totally happy at work and the fact of the matter is that not many people actually love their jobs.
The bottom line is you need to work and I endorse what the others are saying - hang in there and keep applying for other jobs.
You are more likely to be considered a likely applicant if you stick it than if you jerk it. :)

x x x x
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)