How many fur children?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

How many fur children?

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have been looking at the chows [url]https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Chows ... 655957[url] on facebook with my wife. There are a lot out there. Of course, when I mention fostering one, she ask "are you out of your mind?" I though we had concluded that I was out of my mind years ago, but she keeps asking. Her point is that we have too many animals. I think that is just a matter of opinion, so I thought I would ask what you all thought. Now we have three adult humans, four cats and four dogs here in the house. There is enough room for all, especially since my wife got a king size bed so the terriers and two cats could sleep in it. If I am good, I can sleep in it too. The fenced part of the yard is about 1/4 acre. Three of the cats spend most of the day outside and the dogs are in and out all day. Everyone spends the night inside. Once you get used to hair everywhere, what is one more. ( A big ball of hair just floated past as Ace, our Maine Coon cat, jumped off my chair.) Comments.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How many fur children?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Well, we have 6 dogs, 7 cats, a mouse, 2 hamsters, and a bird; so, we obviously believe in "the more the merrier!" ~lol~

All of the dogs are in and out all day, and all but 2 of our cats are indoor/outdoor. The other 2 are barn cats and stay outside.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

As long as you significant other actually agrees, go for it. Do not foist another dog on your sweetie and hope she grows to love it. My husband (recently passed) used to do that and I resented him for it. Since I am now and have always been the caregiver, I felt it should have been my ultimate decision. Of 6 dogs in our 27 years living together, I had the say about 2, and one of those was a mistake purchase Brian made for his kids, thinking his ex would take him without even being consulted first...shoulda been a red flag, eh? That one was when we were living apart quite early in our relationship.

Of course, your dynamic may be different, but it is something to think about...
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Thanks Tippsy's mom and Auddymay, Malachi has decided give his opinion on things. Yesterday, while she was still in bed, Malachi decided to come up and kiss his mom. She thought that was so sweet, since he has not done that before. We will see.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

It all depends on how you manage with the pets you already have. If it is exhausting and takes a lot out of you, adding to that would not be a good idea. If you breeze through the day and you think you can manage one more, why not? But please make sure you go on this adventure with the right rescue organization. There are some real nutjobs in the pet rescue business and I don't want you to get burned!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I only have the two chows. But I live in an apartment, it's a big one, but there are rules...I think I'd have more if not for those rules.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hi all. Monday I will call about this dog. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22602120 I found him through one of the facebook posts either from chowchow.org or chows-in -need, I don't remember which. I look at the pictures and it really breaks my heart. So many dogs in California. The Jackson County shelter is closed on the weekend. It won't be till Tuesday that I can drive over to Gautier (pronounced "go chey" it's French). Kitty (wife) has been looking at the photos with me, but still isn't convinced, but last night she said Malachi really needed someone to play with. He tries to play with the terriers. He will prance around to try to get them to play chase, but they are afraid to play because he is so big. We will see how things work out. I will keep you posted.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

We currently have four Ragdolls (all indoor kitties) one Chow (in and out like a yo-yo), non-furry Husband,four children youngest is 11, two partners of the older girls and one grandson (17 months) four finches and an outdoor pond with various fishes. If I had a bigger house I would have a few more cats. I think if you have the time and energy rescue animals are a very worthy cause. Our eldest daughter also pops back at weekends with her partner!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Rio, that sounds like fun.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Well, the good news is the chow at the Jackson county animal shelter was adopted.
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

Maybe that wasn't the perfect playmate for Malachi? I think he/she is still out there just waiting for you and Kitty to find or happen upon them :)
Everyone needs a playmate!! Good luck in your venture.
Bella & Balou
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Hmmmm Yeah 'fun' Ursas daddy lol. My mum thinks I am completely barking mad, I on the other hand quite enjoy the routine and cleaning ;)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I can sympathise with your wife. :D
Most dogs I had at one time was 5. Now I am down to 2 dogs. And I am never used to too many hair floating around.